Calendar overview 1673
gained the upper hand in several naval battles in the Third Anglo-Dutch War .
|Antoni van Leeuwenhoek writes a report on his investigations with the microscope .||Louis XIV conquered the city of Maastricht during the Dutch War .|
|1673 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1121/22 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1665/66 (September 10-11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1078/79 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2216/17 (southern Buddhism); 2215/16 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||72nd (73rd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1035/36 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4006/07 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1083/84 (April 17-18)|
|Jewish calendar||5433/34 (September 10-11)|
|Coptic calendar||1389/90 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1983/84 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1984/85 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1729/30 (April)|
Politics and world events
- June 6 : The Treaty of Vossem between France and Brandenburg-Prussia ends Brandenburg's support for the Netherlands in the Dutch War .
- June 7th : In the Third Anglo-Dutch War, the First Sea Battle of Schooneveld takes place in front of the Scheldt estuary . The English fleet , disorganized in battle, abandons the landing plan and cruises off the Dutch coast to lure the enemy out of its shallow waters.
- June 15 : In the Second Naval Battle of Schooneveld , the Dutch ships in the Third Anglo-Dutch War succeed in pushing the Anglo-French fleet, which was brought to the coast of their country, back into the Thames .
- July: Louis XIV conquers the fortress of Maastricht in the war against the Netherlands .
- August 21 : In the sea battle off Texel , the Dutch thwart an English landing project in the third Anglo-Dutch War .
- November 3 : The siege and conquest of the city of Bonn , the main fortress of the allies Kurköln and France, by troops under William of Orange-Nassau brings about a turnaround in the Dutch War in favor of the Netherlands.
- November 12th : Fortress commander Daniel Dietrich von Landsberg zu Erwitte surrenders after the siege of Bonn in the Dutch War . The French forfeit their supply route across the Rhine to the territory of the Republic of the Seven United Provinces .
- The English parliament forces King Charles II to approve the so-called test act , with which Catholics in England are excluded from public office. The law is a reaction to Charles 'younger brother James ' conversion to Catholicism and the fear of re-Catholicization of the country if he acceded to the throne.
- November 11th : The Polish Grand Hetman Jan Sobieski defeats the troops of the Ottoman Empire under Grand Vizier Köprülü Fâzıl Ahmed Pascha in the battle of Chotyn .
- March 18 : John Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley of Stratton , sells his portion of New Jersey to the Quakers .
- May 17 : Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet begin exploring the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River .
- June 17th : The French Louis Joliet and Jacques Marquette reach the Mississippi River .
- On behalf of King Louis XIV , the Senegal Company is founded, a French trading company that mainly serves the slave trade .
science and technology
- Gottfried Leibniz presents his calculating machine, which works according to the relay cylinder principle, to the Royal Society in London.
- Antonie van Leeuwenhoek begins various examinations with self-made microscopes . Among other things , he discovers bacteria , sperm and red blood cells .
- April 27th : The opera Cadmus et Hermione by Jean-Baptiste Lully based on the libretto by Philippe Quinault has its world premiere at the theater on Rue de Vaugirard in Paris. Since Lully met the king's taste with this performance, the Palais Royal was made available to him and Molière's troop relocated.
Historical maps and views
First half of the year
- January 21 : Johann Georg Fischer , German builder († 1747 )
- January 28 : Georg Gsell , Swiss Baroque painter († 1740 )
- January 31 : Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort , French people's missionary and founder of the order († 1716 )
- February 1 : Alessandro Marcello , Italian poet, composer and philosopher († 1747 )
- February 3 : Gottlieb Stolle , German polyhistor († 1744 )
- April 5 : Nicolò Grimaldi gen. Nicolino , Italian singer and neuter († 1732 )
- April 21 : Wilhelmine Amalie von Braunschweig-Lüneburg , as wife of Joseph I German Empress († 1742 )
- April 29 : Georg Wilhelm Kirchmaier , philosopher, rhetorician, linguist († 1759 )
- June 1 : Louise Françoise de Bourbon , Princess of Condé († 1743 )
- June 10 : René Duguay-Trouin , French privateer and naval officer († 1736 )
- June 11 : Johann Melchior Kraft , German Lutheran theologian († 1751 )
- June 18 : Antonio de Literes , Spanish composer († 1747 )
Second half of the year
- July 14 : Joseph Abeille , French architect († 1756 )
- July 18 : Hedwig Elisabeth Amalia of the Palatinate , by marriage Crown Princess of Poland († 1722 )
- July 21 : Karl Arnd , German Lutheran theologian († 1721 )
- July 25 : Santiago de Murcia , Spanish guitarist, composer and music theorist († 1739 )
- August 6 : Henry Fitzjames , illegitimate son of James II of England († 1702 )
- August 10 : Johann Konrad Dippel , German theologian, alchemist and doctor († 1734 )
- August 19 : Jacob Paul von Gundling , President of the Prussian Society of Sciences († 1731 )
- September 22 : Ernst Salomon Cyprian , German Lutheran theologian and librarian († 1745 )
- September 24 : Georg Sigismund Green the Elder , German Lutheran theologian († 1734 )
- October 8 : David Stähelin , Mayor of St. Gallen († 1750 )
- October 26 : Dimitrie Cantemir , Voivode of Moldova, historian, music theorist, geographer and universal scientist, humanist and encyclopedist († 1723 )
- November 1 : Meinrad II , Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen († 1715 )
- November 15 : Franz Albert Aepinus , German theologian, writer and philosopher († 1750 )
- November 15 : Jesaias Friedrich Weissenborn , German Lutheran theologian († 1750 )
- December 16 : Johanna Sophie zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg , Countess zu Schaumburg-Lippe († 1743 )
- December 26 : Gustav Philipp Mörl , German Protestant clergyman and librarian († 1750 )
Exact date of birth unknown
First half of the year
- January 13 : Severus Christoph Olpius , German moral philosopher and Lutheran theologian (* 1623 )
- January 21 : Carl Ferdinand Fabritius , German painter (* 1637 )
- January 22nd : Konrad Gumprecht von Aldenbrück , German treasurer, general sergeant and secret council (* 1615 )
- February 11 : Taco van Glins , Dutch legal scholar (* 1619 )
- February 12 : Johann Philipp von Schönborn , Archbishop and Elector of Mainz (* 1605 )
- February 13 : Joannes Baptista Dolar , Slovenian composer (* around 1620)
- February 17th : Jean-Baptiste Poquelin, called Molière , French actor, theater director and playwright (* 1622 )
- March 15 : Salvator Rosa , Italian painter (* 1615 )
- March 31 : Christoph Friedrich von Salza , electoral Saxon council, state elder of the Görlitz district, founder of the exile town of Neu-Salza (* after 1605)
- May 4 : Richard Brathwaite , English author (* 1588 )
- June 25 : Charles d'Artagnan de Batz-Castelmore , French musketeer and role model for the main character in Alexandre Dumas' novel The Three Musketeers (* between 1611 and 1615)
Second half of the year
- July 9 : Johann Rudolph Ahle , German composer, organist, poet, Protestant church musician (* 1625 )
- July 15 : Hélène Fourment , second wife and model of Peter Paul Rubens (* 1614 )
- July 23 : Balthasar Rösler , German surveyor (* 1605 )
- August 17th : Reinier de Graaf , Dutch doctor and researcher (* 1641 )
- August 25 : John Theyer , English lawyer, writer and antiquarian (* 1597 )
- September 1 : Giacinto Cornacchioli , Italian composer, singer and organist (* 1599 )
- September 13 : Ludolf Lorenz von Krosigk , electoral Brandenburg war council, chamberlain and colonel (* 1627 )
- September 18 : Justus Gesenius , German theologian and hymn poet (* 1601 )
- October 13 : Christoffer von Gabel , Danish statesman, governor, adviser to Frederik III. of Denmark (* 1617 )
- October 14 : Diego Osorio de Escobar , Spanish bishop of the Catholic Church and Viceroy of New Spain (* 1608 )
- October 31 : Kurt Christoph Graf von Königsmarck , Dutch lieutenant general, vice governor, Swedish military master and statesman (* 1634 )
- November 11 : Joachim Carstens , German lawyer and syndic of the Hanseatic City of Lübeck (* 1596 )
- November 29th : Raffaello Vanni , Italian painter (* 1587 )
- December 13 : Pedro Nuño Colón de Portugal , Spanish officer, colonial administrator and viceroy of New Spain (* 1615 )
- December 31 : Christoph Philipp Richter , German legal scholar (* 1602 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Johan Garmann , Norwegian civil servant and merchant (* 1610 )
- Francis Hamilton, 1st Baronet , Scottish-Irish nobleman and politician (* before 1610)