Calendar overview 1634
Wallenstein is murdered
in Eger with some of his followers with the imperial approval .
|1634 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1082/83 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1626/27 (September 10-11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1039/40 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2177/78 (southern Buddhism); 2176/77 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||72nd (73rd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||996/997 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3967/68 (October 2/3)|
|Iranian calendar||1012/13 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1043/44 (June 26-27)|
|Jewish calendar||5394/95 (September 22-23)|
|Coptic calendar||1350/51 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1944/45 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1945/46 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1690/91 (April)|
Politics and world events
Thirty Years' War
- January 13th : In the address of allegiance known as Pilsen Revers , which is largely promoted by Generals Christian von Ilow and Adam Erdmann Trčka von Lípa , his officer corps assures Wallenstein of loyalty. Emperor Ferdinand II rates the confession as high treason by his generalissimo and subsequently orders his arrest.
- January 24 : Emperor Ferdinand II dismisses the Duke of Friedland , Wallenstein , as commander of the imperial troops in the Thirty Years War . He is suspected of planning a coup.
- 25 February : Wallenstein's followers Count Trčka , Christian von Ilow , Count Kinsky and Rittmeister Neumann are murdered at a banquet in Eger Castle . Subsequently, the deposed Generalissimo Albrecht von Wallenstein was also killed in the house of City Commandant John Gordon by a group of officers from Walter Butler's regiment with the approval of the Kaiser.
- May 2 : Before leaving, the Imperial Colonel von der Goltz had the city of Bautzen , which was captured in November of the previous year, burned down. 700 residents are killed.
- May 13 : Electoral Saxon troops under Hans Georg von Arnim-Boitzenburg defeat the imperial army under Hieronymus von Colloredo in the battle of Liegnitz .
- July 26th : During the Thirty Years' War, imperial troops recaptured Regensburg , which was captured on November 14th, 1633 by the army of Bernhard von Sachsen-Weimar .
- August 18 to September 7 : The siege of Nördlingen ends with the capture of the city occupied by Swedish garrisons by the Catholic League.
- September 6th : Battle of Nördlingen : The Swedes and their Saxon allies suffer a heavy defeat against the Habsburg troops near Nördlingen . As a result, the Swedes evacuate southern Germany.
- November 1st : The Treaty of Paris finally embroils France in the Thirty Years War . The French King Louis XIII undertook to do so . to provide the Protestant side and Sweden with 12,000 warriors for the religiously motivated power struggle in Germany and to pay a subsidy of 500,000 livres for the costs of the war.
Other events in Europe
- June 14 : Russia and Poland-Lithuania make an Eternal Peace and end the Russo-Polish War . By and large, the status quo ante bellum is being restored.
- September 19 : The Ottoman-Polish War ends. The contract of Chocim from 1621 is renewed, extended and confirmed by both sides.
- November 19 : The regimental constitution of 1634 is published as a basic law for the Duchy of Pomerania in order to guarantee order in the country after the Pomeranian ducal dynasty has died out through an interim government .
- Stockholm is officially declared the capital of Sweden .
- March 25th : The first Catholic settlers arrive in the colony of Maryland . They found St. Marys City , the fourth permanent English settlement in North America.
- The Paulaner brewery is founded in Munich.
- In the tulip mania , the prices for tulip bulbs increase 50 times between 1634 and 1637 and finally collapse again.
- Era of the Nanban trade : With the ban on overseas travel by the Tokugawa Shogunate , the time of the red seal trade ends in Japan .
Culture and society
- June 22nd : The Dutch painter Rembrandt van Rijn marries Saskia van Uylenburgh and paints the picture Saskia as Flora in the same year .
- Rembrandt van Rijn paints Diana's Bath with Actaeon and Callisto .
- The Passion Play is performed for the first time in Oberammergau .
- August 18 : In Loudun , Urbain Grandier , a Catholic priest convicted of witchcraft , is burned at the stake . Grandier was accused of a pact with the devil , which he denies despite torture .
- October 11th : Large storm surge on the North Sea ( Burchardi flood , also called Second Grote Mandränke ). The largest island in the Wadden Sea, Strand , is falling apart. The flood kills around 10,000 people and an estimated 50,000 head of cattle are lost. The natural disaster creates today's coastline.
Historical maps and views
First half of the year
- January 7th : Adam Krieger , German composer and church musician († 1666 )
- January 7th : Sophie Eleonore von Hessen-Darmstadt , Countess of Hessen-Homburg († 1663 )
- January 24 : Paolo Amato , Italian architect († 1714 )
- January 29 : Adrian Beier the Younger , German lawyer († 1712 )
- February 2 : Alfonso IV. D'Este , son of Duke Francesco I d'Este († 1662 )
- Benjamin Raule , Dutch shipowner and General Naval Director of Brandenburg († 1707 ) February:
- March 18 : Marie-Madeleine de La Fayette , French writer († 1693 )
- March 20 : Balthasar Bekker , German-Dutch theologian and philosopher († 1698 )
- March 24 : Kurt Christoph Graf von Königsmarck , Swedish military leader († 1673 )
- April 9 : Albertine Agnes of Orange-Nassau , Princess of Nassau-Diez († 1696 )
- April 22nd : Wolf von Lindenau , manor owner and governor († 1710 )
- June 6 : Marie Elisabeth of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorf , Countess of Hesse-Darmstadt († 1665 )
- June 20 : Charles Emanuel II , Duke of Savoy († 1675 )
Second half of the year
- July 12 : Johann Georg I , Duke of Saxony-Eisenach († 1686 )
- July 18 : Johannes Camphuys , Governor General of the Dutch East Indies († 1695 )
- August 12 : Adam Colonia , Dutch painter († 1685 )
- August 31 : Paul Ammann , German physician and botanist († 1691 )
- October 4 : Burchard Graf von Ahlefeldt , German district administrator († 1695 )
- October 6 : Viktor I. Amadeus , Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg († 1718 )
- October 17 : Simon Rettenpacher , neo-Latin writer († 1706 )
- October 18 : Luca Giordano , Neapolitan painter and fresco artist († 1705 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Clamor Heinrich Abel , German composer, violinist and organist († 1696 )
- Franz Ulrich Graf Kinsky von Wichinitz, Czech diplomat and statesman, highest Bohemian chancellor, († 1699 )
First half of the year
- February 10 : Caspar Pezel , German lawyer, archivist and librarian (* 1573 )
- February 25 : Wilhelm Graf Kinsky von Wichinitz, Czech Chancellor (* 1574 )
- 25 February : Adam Erdmann Trčka von Lípa , imperial general in the Thirty Years War (* around 1599 )
- February 25 : Albrecht von Wallenstein , duke, general and politician (* 1583 )
- May 15 : Hendrick Avercamp , Dutch painter (* 1585 )
- May 18 : Benedikt von Ahlefeldt , heir to Haseldorf, Osterrade, Kluvensiek and monastery provost of Uetersen (* 1593 )
- May 19 : Ortolph Fomann the Elder , German philosopher and legal scholar (* 1560 )
Second half of the year
- July 22nd : Johann Graf von Aldringen , General of the Catholic League , (* 1588 )
- July 31 : Hermann Vultejus , German lawyer (* 1555 )
- August 11th : Friedrich Ulrich , Duke of Braunschweig and Lüneburg, Prince of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel (* 1591 )
- August 18 : Urbain Grandier , French Catholic priest, was convicted as a witcher and burned at the stake (* 1590 )
- September 3 : Johann Friedrich von Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorf , Archbishop of Bremen, Prince-Bishop of Lübeck and Bishop of Verden (* 1579 )
- September 12 : Johann Philipp Abelin , German chronicler and translator (* 1600 )
- October 21 : Otto von Preen , German lawyer and court official (* 1579 )
- October 31 : Erasmus Widmann , German organist and composer (* 1572 )
- December 13 : Johann Suevus , German legal scholar (* 1564 )
- December 25 : Walter Butler , Colonel in Wallenstein's Army (* around 1600 )
- December 26th : Lettice Knollys , lady-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth I of England (* 1543 )
- December 26th : Wilhelm Schmuck , German jurist (* 1575 )
- December 29th : Johann Albert Wasa , Prince of Poland-Lithuania, Prince-Bishop of Warmia and Cracow (* 1612 )
- William Paddy , royal physician in England (* 1554 ) December:
Exact date of death unknown
- Hernando Arias de Saavedra , Spanish politician and officer (* 1561 )
- Maria Holl , German innkeeper, survivor of one of the last witch trials in Germany (* 1549 )
- Georg Petel , German sculptor and carver (* 1601 or 1602 )