Calendar overview 1545
Francesco Donà becomes
Doge of the Republic of Venice .
Ulrich Varnbuler dies as
does his brother Johannes .
|Council of Trent begins.|
|1545 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||993/994 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||2088/89 (southern Buddhism); 2087/88 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||70th (71st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||907/908 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3878/79 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||951/952 (turn of the year 14/15 March)|
|Jewish calendar||5305/06 (September 6-7)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1855/56 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1856/57 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1601/02 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- March 24 : Due to the high humidity and mosquito exposure, the city of Valladolid, founded in Yucatán in 1543 by the Spanish conquistador Francisco de Montejo, is relocated inland following a petition by Spanish settlers .
- April 22nd : After the death of Ludwig X , his brother Wilhelm IV becomes Duke of Bavaria .
- June 12 : Charles III. follows his late father Francis I as Duke of Lorraine and Mercœur . Since he is not yet of legal age, his mother Christina of Denmark takes over the reign for him.
- July 8th / July 12th : Four days after the birth of the Spanish Infante Don Carlos , his mother Maria of Portugal dies in childbirth.
- November 9th : After the death of Pietro Lando , Francesco Donà is elected Doge of Venice . His ducat is marked by an extended period of peace.
- In Krutscheid , farmers rise up against Duke Wilhelm von Berg . The Krutscheider Rebellion will probably end with a compromise, but the files about it are lost.
- A Reichstag is held in Worms .
- Only a year after taking office as King of Korea , the ailing injong dies . His younger brother Myeongjong becomes the 13th king of the Joseon Dynasty .
- In the Spanish viceroyalty of Peru , the mining settlement Potosí is founded on April 10 , where the Inca have already mined silver . The silver city soon rose to fabulous bloom.
- around 1545: Agnolo Bronzino paints the painting Eleonora of Toledo and her son Giovanni , one of the most famous Medici portraits.
- Basque literature : the first book in Basque , a volume of poetry by Pastor Bernat Etxepare (Bernard d'Echepare), is published.
- François Rabelai's third part of the novel cycle Gargantua and Pantagruel appears.
Society and sport
- December 13th : That of Pope Paul III. The Council of Trent convened to respond to the demands and teachings of the Reformation is opened. The ecumenical council , in which around 100 prelates with voting rights and just as many Catholic theologians from all over Europe take part, lasts four sessions until 1563 .
- The last edition (revision) of the Luther Bible appears in Wittenberg , on which the reformer Martin Luther himself contributed.
- Pope Paul III founds the diocese of Quito as a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Lima .
- The Benedictine Abbey of Ellwangen acquires Wasseralfingen.
- July 19 : During the sea battle in the Solent , the English warship Mary Rose sank off Portsmouth , presumably during a turning maneuver . At least 470 sailors die.
- 1545/ 1546 : The first outbreak of Cocolitztli , a hemorrhagic fever , costs at least 800,000 people in Mexico living.
Date of birth saved
- February 2 : Nikolaus von Reusner , German legal scholar († 1602 )
- March 18 : Julius Echter von Mespelbrunn , Prince-Bishop of Würzburg and Duke in Franconia († 1617 )
- March 25 : Johann the Younger , Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg († 1622 )
- April 2 : Elisabeth of Valois , Queen of Spain († 1568 )
- April 15 : Charles II , Duke of Münsterberg and Oels († 1617 )
- April 28 : Yi Sun-sin , Korean military leader and admiral († 1598 )
- April 30 : Cornelis Fransz. de Witt , Dutch politician († 1622 )
- May 1st : Neidhardt von Thüngen , Prince-Bishop of Bamberg († 1598 )
- May 22nd : Karl Christoph , Duke of Münsterberg († 1569 )
- June 23 : Johannes Dinckel , German Protestant theologian († 1601 )
- July 8th : Don Carlos , Spanish Infante, son of King Philip II († 1568 )
- September 7th : Eitel Friedrich IV. , Count of Hohenzollern-Hechingen († 1605 )
- September 10 : Otto von Grünrade , Protestant Reformed church politician († 1613 )
- October 27 : Melchior Junius , German rhetorician and humanist († 1604 )
- November 2 : Ernst Ludwig , Duke of Pommern-Wolgast († 1592 )
- November 11th : Kaspar von Fürstenberg , Elector of Cologne Drost and Elector of Mainz, Landdrost († 1618 )
- November 23 : Heinrich Maius , German Protestant theologian († 1607 )
- December 7th : Heinrich Stewart, Lord Darnley , husband of Maria Stuart († 1567 )
- December: Levinus Battus , German medic († 1591 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Aaron ben Abraham ben Samuel Ibn Chajjim , Jewish scholar († 1632 )
- Cornelis van Aerssen , Dutch statesman, diplomat and lawyer († 1627 )
- Heinrich Bünting , German Protestant theologian and chronicler († 1606 )
- John Gerard , English surgeon and botanist († 1612 )
- Mary Gray , English noblewoman, sister of the Nine Day Queen Jane Gray († 1578 )
- Luzzasco Luzzaschi , Italian composer and organist († 1607 )
- Magnus Heinason , Faroese naval hero († 1589 )
First half of the year
- January 16 : Georg Spalatin , German humanist, theologian, reformer and historian, advocate of Martin Luther (* 1484 )
- January 24th : Eberhard Brisger , German Protestant theologian and reformer (* 1490 )
- April 10 : Costanzo Festa , Italian composer (* 1490 )
- April 22nd : Ludwig X. , Duke of Bavaria (* 1495 )
- April 25 : Jobst II. , Count of Hoya (* 1493 )
- May 22nd : Sher Shah Suri , Sultan of Delhi
- May 23 : Costanza Farnese , daughter of Pope Paul III, Countess of Santa Fiora (* 1500 )
- May 31st (buried): Agnes Tilney , English nobleman (* around 1477 )
- June 12 : Franz I , Duke of Lorraine (* 1517 )
- June 15 : Elisabeth of Austria , member of the House of Habsburg, titular queen of Poland (* 1526 )
- June 18 : Johann Ludwig , Count of Saarbrücken (* 1472 )
Second half of the year
- July 12th : Maria of Portugal , Portuguese princess, Queen of Spain (* 1527 )
- July 19 : George Carew , English admiral (* around 1504 )
- August 8 : Injong , King of the Joseon Dynasty in Korea (* 1515 )
- August 16 : Johannes Bader , German theologian and reformer (* around 1487 )
- August 22nd : Charles Brandon, 1st Duke of Suffolk . English nobleman (* around 1484 )
- September 24th : Albrecht , Archbishop of Magdeburg, Elector of Mainz and Margrave of Brandenburg (* 1490 )
- September: Hans Baldung , German painter, draftsman and engraver (* around 1484 or 1485 )
- November 9th : Pietro Lando , Doge of Venice (* around 1462 )
- November 19 : Wandula von Schaumberg , German nobleman, princess abbess in the canonical monastery of Obermünster in Regensburg (* 1482 )
- December 5 : Bartlmä Häberle , Innsbruck painter, presumably court painter at the Austrian court (* before 1524)
Exact date of death unknown
- Enrique de Arfe , German goldsmith (* 1475 )
- Gabriel Ascherham , German Baptist
- Ket Chettharat , King of La Nan in Northern Thailand (* before 1525)
- Helena von Freyberg , German nobleman and representative of the Austro-South German Anabaptist movement (* 1491 )
- William Latimer , English clergyman, scholar and humanist (* around 1467 )
- Sher Khan Suri , Pashtun ruler in India (* around 1486 )
- Ulrich Varnbuler , German diplomat (* 1474 )