Calendar overview 1487
|Niklaus von Flüe dies.||
consolidates his power in England .
|Wars of the Roses in England flare up one last time.|
|1487 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||935/936 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||7. Rabbit - Chicome Tochtli (until the end of January / beginning of February: 6th house - Chicuace Calli )|
|Buddhist calendar||2030/31 (southern Buddhism); 2029/30 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||69th (70th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||849/850 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3820/21 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||892/893 (turn of the year 16/17 December)|
|Jewish calendar||5247/48 (September 17/18)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1797/98 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1798/99 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1543/44 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Wars of the Roses in England
- May 24th : In Dublin, during the Wars of the Roses, the impostor Lambert Simnel was named King Edward VI of England . crowned. The London regent Henry VII , meanwhile, holds the real Edward von Warwick from the York house prisoner in the Tower . The attempt to oust Henry VII from power fails shortly afterwards in the Battle of Stoke with the defeat for the Yorkists.
- June 16 : The Battle of Stoke is the last rebellion of the House of York in the English Wars of the Roses . The army of King Henry VII defeats the less staffed Yorkist army under John de la Pole, Earl of Lincoln , who falls in battle.
- April 27th : After several weeks of siege, the city of Vélez-Málaga surrenders to the Castilian troops.
- At the beginning of May, envoys of the Catholic Kings held negotiations with the commander of the city of Malaga , who, however, refused to surrender the city without a fight. In order to avoid a prolonged siege of the city, King Ferdinand decides to attack from the front. The result was the "bloodiest and most bitter battle of the war for the Moorish Empire of Granada." The attack had to be stopped without result. The siege of the city begins.
- August 18th : Málaga, previously part of the Nasrid Emirate of Granada , is captured by the forces of the Catholic Kings during the Reconquista .
Other events in Europe
- April 28 : The defeat of the Confederates led by Valais under Bishop Jost von Silenen against the Duchy of Milan under Duke Gian Galeazzo Sforza in the Battle of Crevola temporarily slows their urge to expand south of the Alps.
- The double-headed eagle becomes the state symbol of Russia , and Saint George is included in the Moscow city arms.
Empire of China
- September 9 : After the death of his father Chenghua , Hongzhi becomes Emperor of China from the Ming Dynasty . His government is strictly based on the ideal of Confucianism , he works closely with his ministers and officials, reduces the tax burden, saves on government spending and makes good choices when it comes to appointing his advisors.
Other events in Asia
- May 27 : After 46 years of reign, Tilokarat, the ninth king of the Mengrai dynasty of Lan Na in the northern region of Thailand , dies at the age of 78. Although he was a usurper , the reign of King Tilok is considered to be Lan Na's Golden Age. He enlarged and consolidated his empire by conquering Mueang Nan and at the same time Mueang Phrae and incorporating them into his empire. To the west, at the time of his death, it extends to today's Shan state of Myanmar , to the north to Chiang Rung . Tilokarat is cremated at Wat Chet Yot . He will be succeeded by his grandson Yot Chiang Rai .
Voyages of discovery
- May 7th : The Portuguese explorer Pêro da Covilhã embarks on a journey in search of the empire of the legendary Priest King John in East Asia. His journey begins in Santarém and takes him via Barcelona, Naples and Rhodes to Alexandria and Cairo, from where he moves on to India.
- Summer: With King John II's top-secret order to build on the results of Diogo Cão , to find the southern tip of the African continent, sail around it and, if possible, advance to India , the Portuguese Bartolomeu Dias stabs two caravels and a supply ship at sea. The fleet sails along the African west coast to the southernmost point known to the Portuguese at the time on the coast of today's Namibia and beyond.
- 1482 /1487: Sandro Botticelli made with tempera on wood the painting Primavera . The picture is one of the most famous and most frequently reproduced works of Western art.
- April 18 : The humanist and poet Conrad Celtis is taken over by Emperor Friedrich III. as the first German to be crowned poeta laureatus .
- July 9 : Counts Philip II of Waldeck- Eisenberg, Heinrich VIII of Waldeck-Wildungen and Otto IV of Waldeck-Landau found the Franciscan monastery in Korbach . The construction of the monastery church begins in the same year.
Date of birth saved
- February 2 : Johann Zápolya , Hungarian aristocrat, voivode of Transylvania and elected king of Hungary and Croatia († 1540 )
- February 8 : Ulrich , Duke of Württemberg († 1550 )
- February 15 : Heinrich von der Pfalz , Prince-Bishop of Worms, of Utrecht and of Freising († 1552 )
- March 5 : Raisin von Baden , Countess von Haigerloch († 1554 )
- April 10 : Wilhelm , Count of Nassau-Dillenburg († 1559 )
- May 5 : Anna of Brandenburg-Ansbach-Kulmbach , Princess of Brandenburg-Ansbach, Duchess and Regent of Teschen († 1539 )
- May 7 : Galeazzo Flavio Capella , Italian writer and statesman († 1537 )
- July 5 : Johann Gramann , German Evangelical Lutheran pastor, theologian, pedagogue, humanist, reformer and hymn poet († 1541 )
- July 17 : Ismail I , Azerbaijani Shah of Iran and founder of the Safavid dynasty († 1524 )
- August 24 : Bartholomäus Bernhardi , German Lutheran theologian and reformer († 1551 )
- August 27 : Anna of Brandenburg , Duchess of Schleswig and Holstein († 1514 )
- September 10th : Giovanni Maria Ciocchi Del Monte, under the name Julius III. Pope († 1555 )
- October 15 : Giovanni da Udine , Italian painter († 1564 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Catherine of Mecklenburg , Duchess of Saxony († 1561 )
- Pierfrancesco de 'Medici the Younger , Florentine banker († 1525 )
Born around 1487
- Johannes Bader , German theologian and reformer († 1545 )
- Gabriel Zwilling , German theologian and reformer († 1558 )
Date of death secured
- January 14th : Thomas Rode , Mecklenburg clergyman, canon and provost
- January 26 : Philipp von Henneberg , Prince-Bishop of the Bamberg Monastery (* 1430 )
- January 29th : Wedigo Gans von Putlitz , Bishop of Havelberg (* before 1438)
- March 21 : Niklaus von Flüe , Swiss hermit, ascetic and mystic (* 1417 )
- March 21 : Bernhard von Rohr , Archbishop of Salzburg (* 1421 )
- 12 April : . Rudolf IV , Margrave of Hachberg-Sausenberg and Count of Neuenburg am See (* 1426 / 27 )
- April 29th : Wolfhart VI. von Borsselen , Marshal of France
- May 11th : Sibylla von Helfenstein , Abbess of the Fraumünster in Zurich
- May 27 : Tilokarat , King of the Thai Kingdom of Lan Na (* 1409 )
- June 16 : John de la Pole, Earl of Lincoln , English nobleman and trailers of the house York (* 1462 / 1464 )
- June 16 : Martin Schwartz , German mercenary leader (* around 1450 )
- June 26th : Johannes Argyropulos , Byzantine humanist (* around 1415 )
- July 16 : Charlotte , Queen of Cyprus (* 1444 )
- August 15 : Lorenz III. von Freiberg , Bishop of Gurk (* before 1459)
- August 20 : Jacques de Luxembourg-Ligny , Seigneur von Richebourg, nobleman in the service of Burgundy and France (* around 1420 )
- September 9 : Chenghua , Emperor of China from the Ming Dynasty (* 1447 )
- September 28th : Keckhans von Gemmingen , aristocrat from the Electoral Palatinate and army leader (* 1431 )
- September 30th : John Sutton, 1st Baron Dudley , English nobleman and supporter of the House of Lancaster (* 1400 )
- 2. / October 3 : Johannes de Stokem , Franco-Flemish composer, singer and clergyman (* around 1445 )
- November 1st : Johann V. von Weißenbach , Bishop of Meißen
- November 27 : Sigismund III. , Prince of Anhalt-Dessau (* 1456 )
- November 28 : Han Myung-hoi , Korean politician, soldier and philosopher (* 1415 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Baccio Baldini , Florentine goldsmith and copper engraver (* around 1436 )
- Mara Branković , Serbian princess, wife of the Ottoman Sultan Murad II (* 1412 )
- Peter Rot , Basel politician (* before 1452)
- Yunus Khan , ruler of the Chagatai Mongols (* around 1415 )
- Louise Rych , Swiss Dominican