Calendar overview 1462
|Ivan III Vasilyevich becomes Grand Duke of Moscow .||Greifswald , Heinrich Rubenow , is murdered.|
|Keckhans von Gemmingen defeats Count Ulrich V of Württemberg at the Battle of Seckenheim .|
|1462 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||910/911 (July turn of the year)|
|Aztec calendar||8th house – Chicuei Calli (until the end of January/beginning of February: 7th flint – Chicome Tecpatl )|
|Buddhist calendar||2005/06 (Southern Buddhism); 2004/05 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||69th (70th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||824/825 (New Year's April)|
|Islamic calendar||866/867 (New Year September 25th/26th)|
|Jewish calendar||5222/23 (25/26 August)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1772/73 (April turn of the year)
Syria: 1773/74 (October turn of the year)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese calendar)||1518/19 (April turn of the year)|
politics and world affairs
Holy Roman Empire
- During the Bavarian War , a force of troops from Bohemia and Cheb invaded the six-office country and caused considerable damage through destruction and looting. The bailiff Friedrich von Dobeneck at Thierstein Castle sets fire to the village of Thierstein to prevent enemy troops from entrenching themselves in it. Since he accepts the villagers into the castle, he can only resist for a short time due to the supply situation, and Hohenberg Castle is also handed over. In the spring, Bohemian troops burn Weißenstadt down. On the Katharinenberg near Wunsiedel , Jobst von Schirnding finally succeeds in repelling the Bohemians after their unsuccessful six-week siege of the city due to differences between the partners Eger and Bohemia.
- June 30: The Battle of Seckenheim is a decisive battle in the Baden-Palatinate War . Elector Friedrich von der Pfalz defeats Ulrich V von Württemberg and takes him prisoner.
- 28 October: Decision in the Mainz collegiate feud : Archbishop Adolf II of Nassau conquers Mainz and ends its existence as a free city after more than 200 years .
- In Frankfurt am Main , a district outside the city walls is being completed to which the city's Jews will have to move.
- Styria is divided into quarters at the Leibniz General Parliament .
Other events in Central Europe
- May 7: Pasquale Malipiero , Doge of Venice , dies. His successor will be Cristoforo Moro . Under him, the longer period of peace in the maritime republic came to an end.
- September 17: In the Battle of Schwetzin in the Thirteen Years ' War , the army of the Kingdom of Poland under its leader Piotr Dunin in alliance with the Prussian Confederation is victorious over the State of the Teutonic Order and the Duchy of Pomerania .
- December 2nd: Johann Giskra takes the Wallachian king Vlad III. Drăculea caught by a deception and hands him over to the Hungarian king Matthias Corvinus .
- The Polish crown confiscates the Principality of Bels as a defunct fief.
- March 27: Ivan III. becomes ruler of the Grand Duchy of Moscow after the death of his father Vasily II .
- August 16: In the wake of the Reconquista , the Kingdom of Castile captures Moorish Gibraltar from the Emirate of Granada .
voyages of discovery
- January 22: The Portuguese discover the island of São Vicente , one of the Cape Verde Islands lying in the Atlantic .
- The Genoese in Portuguese service Antonio de Noli founds a small garrison on the Cape Verde island of Santiago called Ribeira Grande , today's Cidade Velha . It is the first permanent European settlement in the tropics.
- Ulrich Haan opens Vienna's first printing works, but it is soon destroyed by the mob because of a pamphlet printed by him against Mayor Holzer. Haan emigrated to Rome.
culture and religion
- March 31: Pope Pius II rejects the existing Bohemian compacts with the Hussites and demands ecclesiastical reunification in Bohemia . More than a century later, this wish was fulfilled.
- In Mainz, Johannes Fust and Peter Schöffer print the Fust-Schöffer Bible in Latin and in Gotico-Antiqua script . It is the first edition of the Bible that names the printer and the date of printing and has a printer 's mark .
- Circa 1462: The Gothic Church of Our Lady of Częstochowa in Lipie is built.
date of birth saved
- January 2: Piero di Cosimo , Italian painter and draftsman (died 1521)
- January: Edzard I , Count of East Friesland († 1528)
- January 17: Peter IV von Rosenberg , Bohemian nobleman and governor († 1523)
- February 1: Johannes Trithemius , German abbot, scholar, humanist, author, cryptologist and witch theorist (died 1516)
- February 28: Joan of Castile , Spanish noblewoman, Princess of Castile, Queen of Portugal († 1530)
- May 31: Philip II , German nobleman, Count of Hanau-Lichtenberg († 1504)
- June 27: Louis XII. , King of France († 1515)
- July 24: Johannes Manardus , Italian physician (died 1536)
- August 26: Piero de Ponte , Italian 45th Grand Master of the Order of Malta († 1535)
- September 8: Konrad Adelmann von Adelmannsfelden , German humanist and canon († 1547)
- September 16: Pietro Pomponazzi , Italian philosopher and humanist († 1525)
- September 26: Engelbert of Kleve , German nobleman, Count of Nevers, Étampes and Eu (died 1506)
- November 26: Alexander of Palatinate-Zweibrücken , German nobleman, Duke of Zweibrücken and Veldenz († 1514)
- December 28: Louise of Savoy , French noblewoman and nun, Catholic blessed († 1503)
Exact date of birth unknown
- Fabian von Auerswald , German nobleman, author († after 1540)
- Jodocus Badius , Flemish printer, humanist († 1535)
- Piero di Cosimo , Italian painter, draftsman († around 1521)
- Jakob Köbel , German town clerk, author, book printer, publisher († 1533)
- Jakob von Liebenstein , German nobleman, Archbishop of Mainz († 1508)
- Petrus Magni , Swedish bishop (died 1534)
- La Sen Thai Puvanart , Lao king of Lang Chang († 1495)
- Clemente Grosso della Rovere , Italian nobleman, cardinal († 1504)
- Ulrich von Sax , Swiss diplomat, mercenary leader, military contractor, 1st Commander-in-Chief of the Swiss Army († 1538)
First half of the year
- February 20: Aubrey de Vere , English knight
- March 27: Vasily II , Grand Duke of Moscow (b. 1415)
- April 28: Ulrich II von Rosenberg , Bohemian nobleman, lord of Rosenberg, governor in Bohemia (b. 1403)
- 7 May: Pasquale Malipiero , Venetian Procurator, 66th Doge of Venice (b. c. 1392)
- May 8: Palla Strozzi , Italian merchant, humanist (b. c. 1373)
- 14 May: Jeanne de Marle , Countess of Marle and Soissons (b. c. 1415)
- May 22: John II of Gorizia , German nobleman, Count of Gorizia (b. c. 1433)
- May 28: Luis de Beaumont , Navarrese nobleman, 1st Conde de Lerín (b. 1412)
- June 25: Catherine d'Alençon , French noblewoman, Duchess of Bavaria-Ingolstadt (b. before 1396)
Second half of the year
- 1 September: Theobald Schweinpeck , Austrian Bishop of Lavant
- September 17: Anna of Saxony , German noblewoman, Princess of Saxony, Landgravine of Hesse (b. 1420)
- 11 November: Anne de Lusignan , Duchess of Savoy (b. 1418)
- November 13: Anna of Austria , Austrian Princess, Landgravine of Thuringia, Duchess of Saxony, Duchess of Luxembourg (b. 1432)
- 14 November: George Douglas , Scottish nobleman, 4th Earl of Angus (b. 1429)
- 22 November: Heinrich von Hewen , Swiss nobleman, Bishop of Constance (b. c. 1398)
- 24 December: Peter Zmrzlík von Schweißing the Younger , Bohemian nobleman
- December 31: Heinrich Rubenow , German councilman, mayor of Greifswald (b. c. 1400)
Exact date of death unknown
- Lukas Watzenrode the Elder , Silesian tradesman (b. 1400)
- Dietrich Ebbracht , German canon, scholastic, protonotary, church politician (b. 1395)
- Sebald Fyoll , German painter (* between 1400 and 1410)
- Niccolo II Gattilusio , Genoese archon of Lesvos (* after 1415)
- Michele Giambono , Venetian painter, mosaicist (b. 1400)
- Dai Jin , Chinese painter (b. 1388)
- Konrad von Lintorff , German Bishop of Havelberg (b. before 1405)
- Bernard de Pardiac , French nobleman, Count of Pardiac, La Marche and Castres, Duke of Nemours (b. 1400)
- Alan IX de Rohan , French nobleman, Count of Porhoët, Baron of Pontchâteau (b. before 1405)
- Nicolas Rolin , Chancellor of Burgundy (b. 1376)
- Hans von Tübingen , German painter, etcher, glass painter (b. c. 1400)
- William Tyrell of Beeches , English knight