|battle of Sudoměř during the Hussite Wars established the reputation of the invincibility of the Hussite leader Jan Žižka .||
Catherine de Valois
marries King Henry V
of England .
|1420 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||868/869 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||5th tubes - Macuilli Acatl (until the end of January / beginning of February: 4th rabbit - Nahui Tochtli )|
|Buddhist calendar||1963/64 (southern Buddhism); 1962/63 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||68th (69th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||782/783 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||822/823 (turn of the year 16/17 January)|
|Jewish calendar||5180/81 (September 8/9)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1730/31 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1731/32 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1476/77 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- January 27th : After several months of siege, the citizens of Prague conquer Wenceslas Castle and burn it down.
- March 1st : At King Sigismund's request, Pope Martin V calls for a crusade against the Hussites with the bull Omnium plasmatoris domini .
- March 17th : Jan Krasy, Hussit and leader of the Breslau uprising of 1418 , is executed in Wroclaw on the orders of King Sigismund . In Prague, the moderate Kalixtines , who realized that a compromise with Sigismund could no longer be reached, joined forces with the more radical Taborites and, under the leadership of Jan Rokycana, wrote the Four Prague Articles with their demands.
- March 25 : The Battle of Sudoměř is the first real battle of the Hussite Wars and establishes the reputation of invincibility of the Hussite leader Jan Žižka , who in this battle developed the extremely successful tactic of the wagon castle for the Hussites .
- April 4th : Taborite troops defeat Catholic troops at Mlada Vozica .
- April 7th : Taborites under Nikolaus von Hus conquer Sedlice , then Písek , Rabi Castle near Schüttenhofen , Strakonitz and Prachatitz . Several monasteries will also be burned down in the next few weeks.
- April 17th : The Kalixtines take power in Prague . Their commander, Vinzenz von Wartenberg, uses a ruse to conquer the Hradschin and drive away the Catholic prelate.
- May 7th : The Hradschin is retaken by Catholic troops. Their leader is Vinzenz von Wartenberg, who has changed sides in the face of the Taborite atrocities. The Hussites then set the Lesser Quarter on fire.
- June 12th : The siege of Prague by royal troops begins. On June 29th , Sigismund arrives outside Prague. Under the command of Ulrich II von Rosenberg, his troops suffer a heavy defeat the next day against the Hussites under Nikolaus von Hus.
- July 4th : The Hussite preacher Jan Želivský receives absolute power in Prague through a "synod".
- July 14th : In the Battle of Vitusberg, the Catholic crusaders suffer their first heavy defeat against the Hussites under the leadership of Jan Žižka .
- July 28th : The Roman-German King Sigismund is crowned King of Bohemia in Prague . Two days later the besiegers withdrew.
- August 16 : Until November 1, there are several smaller skirmishes known as the Battle of Vyšehrad , which end with the conquest of Vyšehrad by the Hussites.
- December 24th : The Hussite commander Nikolaus von Hus dies after an accident.
Further events in the empire
- February 24th : The Braunschweig Pfaffenkrieg is settled by an arbitration award from Duke Bernhard I of Braunschweig-Lüneburg .
- August 23 : The Treaty of Perleberg regulates the permanent demarcation of borders between the Duchy of Saxony-Lauenburg and Hamburg and Lübeck .
- Count Friedrich IV. Of Tyrol relocates his seat of power from Meran to Innsbruck .
- Rüte is first mentioned in a document.
Hundred Years War
- May 21 : In the Treaty of Troyes , France's King Charles VI recognizes. in the event of his death, a claim to the throne of the English king Heinrich V , which he underpins by marrying Katharina von Valois , the daughter of Charles VI. Katharina's brother, the Dauphin Karl , is contractually excluded from the throne. He later forms a counter-government in Bourges .
- June 2 : Heinrich V and Katharina von Valois, the daughter of the previous French King Charles VI, marry.
After the death of Qara Yusuf , the ruler of the Qara Qoyunlu , a dispute about the succession breaks out among his sons Ispend, Qara Iskander , Jahan Shah and Abu Sa'id. The Sa'dlu tribe, one of the most important sub-tribes of the Qara Qoyunlu, declares Ispend as their new leader. Abu Sa'id has to flee and Jahan Shah goes to Baghdad. Qara Iskander and Ispend fight and defeat together the Aq Qoyunlu invading the west under Qara Yoluq Osman Bey . The Timurid ruler Shāh Ruch uses the weakness of the Qara Qoyunlu to invade Azerbaijan .
science and technology
- Giovanni da Fontana builds a vehicle whose rear wheels can be driven by hand by a cable drum mechanism.
Date of birth saved
- January 15 : Bernardo Bandini Baroncelli , Italian banker and assassin († 1479 )
- February 9 : Dorothea von Brandenburg , Duchess of Mecklenburg († 1491 )
- April 6th : George of Podebrady , King of Bohemia († 1471 )
- June 5 : Anna of Saxony , Countess of Hesse († 1462 )
- August 24 : Albrecht von Eyb , German humanist and writer († 1475 )
- September 29 : Michael Beheim , German mastersinger († around 1474 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Abdalhaqq II , Sultan of the Merinids in Morocco († 1465 )
- Claus von Ahlefeldt , governor and lord of the Marslev and Torp estate († 1486 )
- Marco Barbo , Patriarch of Aquileia and Cardinal († 1491 )
- Diogo Gomes , Portuguese navigator, explorer and author († 1502 )
- Henry Gray, Count of Tancarville , English nobleman († 1450 )
- Nicolas Jenson , French die cutter († 1480 )
- Konrad X. , Duke of Oels († 1492 )
- Lambert , Lord of Monaco († 1494 )
- John Morton , Bishop of Ely and Archbishop of Canterbury († 1500 )
- Margaret of Savoy , Queen of Sicily, Countess Palatine and Countess of Württemberg († 1479 )
- Ruprecht von Pfalz-Simmern , Bishop of Strasbourg († 1478 )
- Sesshū Tōyō , Japanese Zen monk and painter († 1506 )
- Hermann Slupwachter , German theologian and legal scholar († 1490 )
Born around 1420
- Peter von Andlau , Alsatian legal scholar († 1480 )
- Jean Fouquet , French book and panel painter († between 1478 and 1481 )
- Piero della Francesca , Italian painter, art theorist and mathematician († 1492 )
- Peter Hemmel von Andlau , late Gothic glass painter
- Johann I von Hohnstein , Regent of the County of Hohnstein († 1498 )
- Andreas Jamometić , Archbishop of Kraina in the Montenegrin-Albanian border region († 1484 )
- Aberlin Jörg , architect and builder in Württemberg († 1494 )
- Luciano Laurana , builder and architect of the Renaissance († 1479 )
- Martin Mair , Bavarian humanist and statesman († 1481 )
- Hector Mülich , Augsburg merchant and chronicler († 1489 / 90 )
- Hans Pleydenwurff , German painter († 1472 )
- Prokop von Rabstein , Bohemian diplomat and chancellor of the Bohemian crown († 1472 )
- Hans Talhoffer , German fencing master († 1490 )
First half of the year
- March 11th : Heinrich II. , Duke of Münsterberg
- June 11 : Johann III. , Burgrave of Nuremberg and Margrave of Brandenburg-Kulmbach (* around 1369 )
- June 12 : Adolf , Count of Nassau-Dillenburg (* 1362 )
- July 16 : Degener Buggenhagen , German nobleman and hereditary land marshal of Pommern-Wolgast
Second half of the year
- September 3 : Robert Stewart, 1st Duke of Albany , Scottish prince and nobleman (* around 1340 )
- September 25th : Gérard de Montaigu the Younger , Bishop of Poitiers and Paris
- November 1st : Heinrich von Lazan , governor of Breslau and royal Bohemian chamberlain
- November 25th : Elisabeth Achler , German Catholic nun (* 1386 )
- November 27th : Hugh Burnell, 2nd Baron Burnell , English nobleman (* around 1347 )
- December 18 : Şeyḫ Bedreddīn bin Ḳāḍı Simavna , Ottoman legal scholar, Sufi and rebel (* around 1359 )
- December 24th : Mikuláš z Husi a Pístného , Bohemian nobleman, Hussite politician and military leader (* 1375 )
- December 27 : Jakob Twinger von Königshofen , German chronicle writer (* 1346 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Imagawa Sadayo , Japanese prince and writer (* 1326 )
- Kersten Miles , Mayor of Hamburg (* 1374 )
- Elisabeth von Pilitza , Queen of Poland and Grand Duchess of Lithuania (* 1372 )
- Qara Yusuf , ruler of the Qara Qoyunlu (* 1357 )