Jerome of Prague
is burned as a heretic in Constance .
|1416 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||864/865 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||1. Pipes - Ce Acatl (until the end of January / beginning of February: 13th Rabbit - Matlactli omey Tochtli )|
|Buddhist calendar||1959/60 (southern Buddhism); 1958/59 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||68th (69th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||778/779 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||818/819 (turn of the year February 28th / March 1st)|
|Jewish calendar||5176/77 (September 21/22)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1726/27 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1727/28 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1472/73 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Holy Roman Empire
- February 19 : Savoy becomes a duchy when King Sigismund elevates Count Amadeus VIII, the peacemaker , to the status of duke .
- May 30th : Hieronymus von Prag , companion of Jan Hus and co-founder of the Hussite movement, is burned as a heretic at the Council in Constance after he has distanced himself from the retraction of his statements.
- When the return of the Old Council to Lübeck , which was overthrown in 1408 , became apparent, the goldsmith Heyno Sobbe, as a member of the New Council, unsuccessfully organized a craftsmen's revolt to prevent this. He is arrested and executed on June 11th .
Hundred Years War
- Spring: His journey through Western Europe also takes the Roman-German King Sigismund to England with the aim of negotiating a peace treaty with France . Together with Wilhelm von Holland , he set up a mutua conventio in June for a rapprochement between the two nations. But Charles VI. France withdraws its consent before signing the treaty. In further conversations and correspondence between Sigismund and Karl VI. their relationship deteriorates noticeably.
- August 15 : The Treaty of Canterbury is signed as an alliance treaty within the framework of the Hundred Years War between King Henry V of England and King Sigismund. The treaty was ratified by September, but was given little more than symbolic meaning in the following war years.
Other events in Europe
- April 2nd : King Ferdinand the Just of Aragon dies. The Crown of Aragon goes to his son Alfonso V over. He becomes king of Valencia , Naples and Sicily as well as Sardinia .
- The Republic of Ragusa is the first city-state in Europe to abolish slavery . At the same time, the slave trade is prohibited by law.
- King Shō Hashi of the Chūzan Empire on the island of Okinawa conquered the neighboring Hokuzan towards the end of the Sanzan period . Han'anchi , the last king of Hokuzan, commits suicide after defeat by betrayal.
- March 15 : Due to the death of Jean de Valois, duc de Berry , the book of hours Très Riches Heures commissioned by the three Limburg brothers , who, like their employer, die of an epidemic, is not completed.
After the death of the Olomouc administrator Wenzel Gerard von Burenitz on September 12th , the majority of the canons present elects Johann von Bucca as his successor on September 21st . However, the members who were not present elect the Vyšehrad dean Albrecht von Březí on October 3rd . King Wenceslas and the Archbishop of Prague confirm the election of Albrecht, whose opponents are to be captured. After Albrecht attended the mass of a Hussite priest a few days after his inauguration, an uprising broke out in Olomouc. Albrecht flees to the episcopal city of Kremsier . Thereupon on December 14th the Council of Constance appointed Johann von Bucca as administrator of Olomouc . Nevertheless, the king and the archbishop refuse to confirm Johann in his office.
Date of birth saved
- February 26th : Christoph III. , King of Denmark, Sweden and Norway († 1448 )
- March 3 : Sigismund of Saxony , Bishop of Würzburg († 1471 )
- March 27 : Franz von Paola , founder of the Italian order and saint of the Catholic Church († 1507 )
- May 25 : Jakob von Lichtenberg , bailiff of the city of Strasbourg and last lord of Lichtenberg († 1480 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Gijsbrecht van Brederode , Bishop of Utrecht († 1475 )
- Benedetto Cotrugli , Italian economist († 1469 )
- Thongwa Dönden , 6th Karmapa of the Karma Kagyu school of Tibetan Buddhism († around 1453 )
- Pal Engjëlli , Albanian cardinal and archbishop of Durrës († 1470 )
- Elisabeth von Hanau , German nobleman († 1446 )
- Piero di Cosimo de 'Medici , leading citizen of Florence, collector of valuable books († 1469 )
- Johann Manuel of Portugal and Vilhena , Bishop of Ceuta and Guarda († 1476 )
- Henry III. , Prince of Braunschweig-Grubenhagen († 1464 )
Born around 1416
First half of the year
- March 16 : Goswin Klingenberg , Mayor of Lübeck
- March 24th : Johannes Otto von Münsterberg , German theologian, rector of the University of Prague and founding rector of the University of Leipzig (* around 1360 )
- March 29 : Euthymios II , Patriarch of Constantinople
- April 2 : Ferdinand I , King of Aragon and Sardinia (* 1380 )
- May 13 : Petrus de Ancharano , Italian lawyer (* around 1350 )
- May 21 : Anna von Cilli , Grand Duchess of Lithuania and Queen of Poland (* 1386 )
- May 30th : Jerome of Prague , Bohemian scholar and co-founder of the Hussite movement (* 1365 )
- May 31 : Arnold Stapel , bishop of the Kulm diocese (* between 1360 and 1370)
- June 11th : Heyno Sobbe , Lübeck goldsmith and member of the New Council
- June 15 : Jean de Valois , Duke of Berry and Auvergne (* 1340 )
Second half of the year
- July 16 : Nicolas d'Orgemont , French dean of Saint-Martin de Tours
- July 17th : Günther XXX. , Count of Schwarzburg (* 1352 )
- September 4th : Johann I , Count of Nassau-Dillenburg (* around 1339 )
- September 6 : Hartmann von Werdenberg-Sargans , Bishop of Chur (* around 1350 )
- September 12th : Wenzel Gerard von Burenitz , Patriarch of Antioch
- October 14 : Heinrich I , Duke of Braunschweig-Lüneburg
- October 19 : Peder Jensen Lodehat , Bishop of Aarhus, Växjö and Roskilde
- October 26 : Heinrich VII , German nobleman, count of the Niedersalm line (* around 1370 )
- October: Bandello Bandelli , Italian cardinal (* around 1350 )
- November 6 : Ha Ryun , neo-Confucian philosopher and politician, thinker of the Korean Goryeo and Joseon dynasties (* 1374 )
- November 28th : Constance Langley , English noblewoman (* 1374 or 1375 )
- December 26th : Eleanor of Aragon , regent of Cyprus (* 1333 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Han'anchi , third and last king of the Kingdom of Hokuzan in Okinawa
- Brothers of Limburg , Dutch painters
- Thomas III , Margrave of Saluzzo (* 1356 )
Died around 1416
- Owain Glyndŵr , Welsh national hero (* around 1359 )
- 1416/ 17 : Samsaenthai , ruler of the Thai Kingdom of Lan Xang (* 1356 )