Calendar overview 1476
|Ivan III , Grand Duke of Moscow , stops paying tribute to the Golden Horde .||confederates defeat Charles the Bold of Burgundy in the battle of Murten .|
Hans Böhm, the drummer from Niklashausen ,
calls on people to make a pilgrimage to Niklashausen .
He is executed as a heretic .
|1476 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||924/925 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||9th tubes - Chicuhnahui Acatl (until the end of January / beginning of February: 8th rabbit - Chicuei Tochtli )|
|Buddhist calendar||2019/20 (southern Buddhism); 2018/19 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||69th (70th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||838/839 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||880/881 (turn of the year 25/26 April)|
|Jewish calendar||5236/37 (September 18-19)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1786/87 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1787/88 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1532/33 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- February 19: Duke Charles the Bold of Burgundy begins the siege of Grandson Castle on Lake Neuchâtel during the Burgundian Wars .
- March 2nd: The Swiss Confederates defeat Charles the Bold in the Battle of Grandson . The confederates were able to put the Burgundians in panic and make rich booty in the camp they had left behind.
- June 22nd: The Swiss Confederates defeat Charles the Bold in the Battle of Murten . Thanks to the superiority of their foot troops, the confederates established themselves as a European military power and from now on they were often recruited into foreign services as mercenaries .
The timpanist from Niklashausen
- Spring: The herdsman Hans Böhm calls on people to make a pilgrimage to Niklashausen . He promises pilgrims complete indulgence from their sins in the name of the Virgin Mary . He also proclaims the social equality of men, common property and God's judgment over the vanity and insatiable greed of princes and high clergy. His sermons hit the soul of the people, so that enthusiastic listeners venerated him as a young holy man and prophet . In the short period of three months, he reportedly gained more than 70,000 followers. The ecclesiastical and secular authorities are following the resulting mass movement with great concern. On the orders of the Würzburg Prince-Bishop Rudolf II von Scherenberg , Hans Böhm was arrested, sentenced to death as a heretic in a fast-track trial and burned at the stake in Würzburg on July 19 . Because of his capture, there was a brief, spontaneous mass protest among the rural population on July 14, led by aristocrat Kunz von Thunfeld , which was bloodily suppressed.
Further events in the empire
- December 8: Emperor Friedrich III. allies himself with Wladyslaw Jagiello of Bohemia and recognizes him as the Bohemian king. The pact is directed against the opposing king Matthias Corvinus and rebelling Austrian nobles.
- December 12th: Philipp follows his deceased uncle and adoptive father Friedrich I as Count Palatine and Elector of the Palatinate .
- December 26th: The Duke of Milan , Galeazzo Maria Sforza , is murdered by three nobles in the Cathedral of Milan . The background to the murder is unclear; it may have been initiated by Galeazzo's younger brother Ludovico Sforza . The seven-year-old son of the murdered man, Gian Galeazzo Sforza , becomes the new Duke of Milan under the reign of his mother Bona of Savoy.
Republic of Venice
- February 23: The Doge of Venice , Pietro Mocenigo , dies. Andrea Vendramin , one of the richest Venetians of his time, was elected as his successor on March 6th .
- Ivan III , Ruler of the Grand Duchy of Moscow , stops paying tribute to the Golden Horde . This leads to standing on the Ugra in 1480.
- With "Hans der preu" a brewer from Tölz is mentioned for the first time.
science and technology
- November 23: Pope Sixtus IV approves the establishment of a university in Mainz .
- The Buddhist lama and historian Gö Lotsawa completed the Blue Annals , one of the most famous and important works of traditional Tibetan historiography. The work consists of 15 chapters and 102 sections and primarily depicts the spread of Buddhism in Tibet from the 11th to the 15th centuries.
- around 1476, Sandro Botticelli painted the painting Adoration of the Magi on wood in tempera . The picture was commissioned by the Florentine banker Guaspare di Zanobi del Lama, a friend of the Medici family , who ordered it as an altarpiece for his own family's burial chapel, the Cappella Lami in the church of Santa Maria Novella . On this work, also known as the Zanobi altar , there are not only the client but also several members of the Medici family can be identified, as well as presumably the artist himself.
- April 19/1. August: In the Kingdom of Castile , the local police forces of the Hermandades are combined to form the central Santa Hermandad .
- December 22nd: Matthias Corvinus , King of Hungary and Croatia and anti-king in Bohemia, marries the Neapolitan Princess Beatrix of Aragón in his second marriage . She was crowned Queen of Hungary ten days earlier. Under their influence, the Kingdom of Hungary rose to become a cultural center of the Renaissance.
Date of birth saved
- March 12: Anna of Poland , Duchess of Pomerania († 1503)
- May 19: Helena of Moscow , Grand Duchess of Lithuania and titular queen of Poland († 1513)
- May 21: Karl von Baden , Canon in Strasbourg and Trier († 1510)
- June 28: Gian Pietro Carafa, as Paul IV Pope († 1559)
- July 21: Alfonso I d'Este , Duke of Ferrara, Modena and Reggio († 1534)
- August 28: Kanō Motonobu , Japanese painter († 1559)
- September 11th: Luise of Savoy , Duchess of Angoulême and mother of the French King Francis I († 1531)
- October 26: Yi Gi , Korean politician and philosopher († 1552)
- November 23: Yeonsangun , Korean king of the Joseon Dynasty († 1506)
Exact date of birth unknown
- Philip I , Prince of Grubenhagen († 1551)
- Josel von Rosheim (Joselmann Ben Gerschon Loans), representative and defender of the Jewish communities in legal and religious matters in the Holy Roman Empire and in Poland († 1554)
- Ubaidullah , governor of Bukhara and Khan of the Uzbeks († 1539)
Born around 1476
- Adrian Fortescue , English knight and martyr († 1539)
- January 14th: John Mowbray, 4th Duke of Norfolk , English nobleman (* 1444)
- January: Anne , Duchess of Exeter (* 1439)
- February 22nd: Henry XI. , Duke of Glogau (* 1429/35)
- February 23: Pietro Mocenigo , 70th Doge of Venice (* around 1405)
- April 12th: Dietrich III. von Schönberg , Bishop of Meißen (* around 1400)
- April 26th: Simonetta Vespucci , artist museum and lover of Giuliano di Piero de 'Medici, was considered the most beautiful woman in Florence in her time (* 1453)
- June 8th: George Neville , Lord Chancellor of England and Archbishop of York (* around 1433)
- July 3: Nicholas I , Duke of Opole (* 1420)
- July 6th: Regiomontanus (Johannes Müller), German astronomer and mathematician (* 1436)
- July 19: Hans Böhm , the drummer from Niklashausen, German preacher, is burned at the stake as a heretic (* 1458)
- September 8: John II , Duke of Alençon and Count of Le Perche (* 1409)
- December 1: Agnes , Duchess of Burgundy (* 1407)
- December 4: Zdeněk Konopišťský ze Šternberka , Bohemian nobleman, diplomat and politician (* 1410)
- December 12th: Friedrich I , Elector Palatinate (* 1425)
- December 22nd: Isabella Neville , English noblewoman, Duchess of Clarence, eldest daughter of Richard Neville (* 1451)
- December 26: Galeazzo Maria Sforza , Duke of Milan (* 1444)
- Turn of the year 1476/1477: Vlad III. Drăculea , voivode of the Principality of Wallachia (* around 1431)