Calendar overview 1473
|Nezahualpilli becomes ruler of the city-state Texcoco of the Central American Acolhua people .||
becomes Doge of Venice .
|Leonardo da Vinci paints the landscape with the river .|
|1473 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||921/922 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||6. Feuerstein - Chicuace Tecpatl (until the end of January / beginning of February: 5th pipes - Macuilli Acatl )|
|Buddhist calendar||2016/17 (southern Buddhism); 2015/16 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||69th (70th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||835/836 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||877/878 (turn of the year 28/29 May)|
|Jewish calendar||5233/34 (September 22/23)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1783/84 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1784/85 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1529/30 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- On July 12th, the Urach contract is signed, which determines the succession in the house of Württemberg .
- Nicolò Marcello succeeds the late Niccolò Tron as Doge of Venice . In the election, he prevails against the later Doges Pietro Mocenigo and Andrea Vendramin . In his short reign he mainly devoted himself to the reorganization of the state finances of the Maritime Republic .
- On August 11th, the Battle of Otlukbeli takes place between the Aq Qoyunlu and the Ottoman Empire . The Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II the Conqueror celebrates a decisive victory against his opponent Uzun Hasan .
European voyages of discovery
- The Europeans are advancing into the southern hemisphere: a Portuguese expedition under the seafarer Lopes Gonçalves crosses the equator on a journey along the west coast of Africa .
- A Danish-Portuguese expedition with the pilot Johannes Scolvus under the direction of Hildesheimer Didrik Pining , Hans Pothorst and the Portuguese João Vaz Corte-Real is traveling the North Atlantic on behalf of King Christian I of Denmark and Norway and at the request of the Portuguese King Alfons V. . It reaches at least the west coast of Greenland via the classic Iceland route . It cannot be completely ruled out that it could also reach Newfoundland and Labrador .
- Tenochtitlan under his ruler Axayacatl conquered the neighboring city-state of Tlatelolco . The two cities grow together, Tenochtitlan gains hegemony in the Aztec empire .
- The nine-year-old Nezahualpilli becomes ruler of the city-state Texcoco of the Central American Acolhua people . Like his father Nezahualcóyotl , who died last year , he works as a poet and gains the reputation of a just ruler.
science and technology
- March 16 : The University of Trier opens - 18 years after Pope Nikolaus V gave permission to establish it.
- On August 5 signed Leonardo da Vinci 's drawing of the Arno landscape . It is said to be the first example of a purely landscape representation in European art.
- In summer, Central Europe is extremely dry and hot. The Danube can even be crossed on foot in Hungary.
Date of birth saved
- February 19 : Nikolaus Kopernikus , Frauenburg canon, lawyer, administrator and doctor, as well as mathematician and astronomer († 1543 )
- March 14th : Reinhard IV. , Co-regent of the County of Hanau-Münzenberg († 1512 )
- March 16 : Heinrich the Pious , Duke of Saxony and Sagan and Margrave of Meissen († 1541 )
- March 17th : James IV , King of Scotland († 1513 )
- April 2 : Johann Corvinus , Count of Hunyadi, Ban of Croatia and Slavonia and Duke of Slavonia, Opava, Leobschütz, Glogau and Liptau († 1504 )
- July 2 : Maria von Baden , princess of Baden and abbess in the Lichtenthal monastery († 1519 )
- July 25 : Maddalena de 'Medici , Florentine patrician († 1519 )
- August 14 : Margaret Pole, 8th Countess of Salisbury , English noblewoman, Catholic martyr († 1541 )
- August 17 : Richard of Shrewsbury, 1st Duke of York , Duke of York and Norfolk, one of the two princes in the Tower († 1483 ?)
- August 25 : Margarethe von Münsterberg , Princess of Anhalt († 1530 )
- August: Jacob III. , last king of Cyprus († 1474 )
- September 24 : Georg von Frundsberg , German soldier and Landsknechtsführer in the Imperial-Habsburg service († 1528 )
- October 26 : Friedrich von Sachsen , Grand Master of the Teutonic Order († 1510 )
- November 11th : Martin von Baumgartner , Tyrolean mine owner and driver of Palestine († 1535 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Arakida Moritake , Japanese Shinto priest and poet († 1549 )
- Baba Arudsch , Ottoman corsair and ruler of Algiers († 1518 )
- Hans Burgkmair the Elder , German painter, draftsman and wood cutter († 1531 )
- Johannes Cuspinian , German humanist, poet and diplomat († 1529 )
- Wolfgang VI. von Dalberg , electoral Palatinate knight, clerk and castle man in Oppenheim († 1522 )
- Edward of Middleham , Prince of Wales († 1484 )
- Cecilia Gallerani , patrician of Milan, mistress of Ludovico Sforza († 1536 )
- George III von Ortenburg , Bavarian nobleman († 1553 )
- Louis de Gorrevod , Bishop of Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne and Bishop of Bourg-en-Bresse († 1535 )
- Barbara von Gundelfingen , abbess of the liberal women's monastery in Buchau († 1523 )
- Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk , English nobleman and politician († 1554 )
- Franciotto Orsini , Bishop of Rimini († 1534 )
- Hans von der Planitz , Saxon knight and lawyer († 1535 )
- Hans Schweiner , German stonemason, master builder, sculptor and architect († 1534 )
First half of the year
- January 24th : Conrad Paumann , German musician (* between 1409 and 1415)
- January: Agnes von Baden , Duchess of Schleswig, Countess of Holstein and Margravine of Baden (* 1408 )
- February 19 : Heinrich Birnbaum , German clergyman and Carthusian monk (* 1403 )
- February 23 : Arnold von Egmond , Duke of Geldern (* 1410 )
- 3. / 4 March : Heinrich Bukow , German Catholic theologian and rector of the University of Greifswald
- March 25 : Jean II. De Croÿ , Burgundian nobleman and Count of Chimay (* around 1403 )
- April 3 : Alessandro Sforza , ruler of Pesaro (* 1409 )
- April 25 : Albrecht von Hoya , Bishop of Minden and administrator of the Diocese of Osnabrück
- June 11th : Herbord , Catholic priest, Benedictine and abbot of St. Januarius Monastery in Murrhardt
- June 28th : Pierre d'Amboise , French nobleman
- June 28 : Niclas Gerhaert van Leyden , Flemish-German sculptor (* around 1430 )
- June 28 : John Talbot , English nobleman (* 1448 )
Second half of the year
- July 10 : James II , King of Cyprus (* around 1440 )
- July 11th : Bernhard II Leoprechtinger , Reich prelate and provost of the Berchtesgaden monastery
- July 14th : Jean Juvénal des Ursins , French historian, diplomat and bishop (* 1388 )
- July 27 : Nicholas I , Duke of Lorraine, Bar and Calabria (* 1448 )
- July 28 : Niccolò Tron , 68th Doge of Venice (* around 1399 )
- August 5th : Konrad von Rechberg , Administrator of the Diocese of Chur and Provost of Constance
- September 9 : Sophie von Sachsen-Lauenburg , Duchess and Regent of Jülich and Berg (* before 1444)
- September: Wilhelm II. , Count of Limburg and Herr zu Broich (* around 1425 )
- November 8th : Sibet Attena , East Frisian chief (* around 1425 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Heinrich II. , Prince of Lüneburg and Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel (* 1411 )
- Thomas Pirckheimer , German jurist and early humanist (* 1417 / 1418 )