Henry IV. Is the English crowned king.
He founds the House of Lancaster .
|1399 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||847/848 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||10. Rabbit - Matlactli Tochtli (until the end of January / beginning of February 9th house - Chicuhnahui Calli )|
|Buddhist calendar||1942/43 (southern Buddhism); 1941/42 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||68th (69th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||761/762 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||801/802 (turn of the year 2/3 September)|
|Jewish calendar||5159/60 (August 31 / September 1)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1709/10 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1710/11 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1455/56|
Politics and world events
- August 12 : Tatars under Emir Edigü and Khan Timur Kutlugh defeat the troops of Grand Duke Vytautas of Lithuania in the battle of the Worskla , a tributary of the Dnieper . The Lithuanian defeat in one of the greatest and bloodiest battles in the history of Eastern Europe puts an end to Vytautas' ambitions in the east and the hopes of his allied Toktamish to regain power in the Golden Horde , which was lost in 1395 .
Holy Roman Empire
In disputes of the East Frisian chiefs gets Widzeld tom Brok on April 25 in Detern in an ambush and fled with his men in the local church . His enemies, led by Archbishop Otto II of Bremen , the bishops of Münster and Minden and the Count of Oldenburg set fire to the church and Widzeld suffocates and burns with his people in the church, which is completely destroyed in the process. Widzeld's successor as chief of Brookmerland is his half-brother Keno II. Tom Brok .
Kingdom of England
- August 19th : After Henry Bolingbroke gave England's King Richard II an assurance that he would be left alive, he surrendered at Flint Castle . On September 1st, he was imprisoned in the Tower of London . In order to enable Henry Bolingbroke's coronation, Richard II will likely be forced to abdicate and appoint Henry as his successor. The convened parliament declares Richard unworthy of the crown on September 30th . Richard is likely to be relocated to Pontefract Castle in Yorkshire by the end of the year .
- October 13 : Henry Bolingbroke is the minor bypassing the greater inheritance rights Edmund Mortimer as Henry IV. To English crowned king. He founds the House of Lancaster .
Kingdom of Scotland
- David Stewart, 1st Duke of Rothesay , son and Crown Prince of the sick Scottish King Robert III. , is appointed Guardian of Scotland because of disputes with the neighboring Kingdom of England .
- City architect Madern Gerthener completes the new canvas house planned as city scales in Frankfurt am Main .
- The game of billiards is first mentioned in a document.
- The second part of the successful rose novel , written by Jean de Meung , sparked the first known literary controversy in France following the Epître au Dieu d'Amour ( Letter to the God of Love ) by Christine de Pizan . In it, Christine criticizes Jean de Meung's negative remarks about women and love. She denounces his drastic and cynical portrayal of physical love as being particularly misogynistic. Christine is supported by the theologian and rector of the Paris University Jean Gerson . Other professors such as Jean de Montreuil and the brothers Pierre and Gontier Col protect Jean de Meung.
- King Martin I of Aragon is based on the foundations of an Alcázar in Valldemossa the monastery Cartuja de Jesús Nazareno of the Order of the Carthusians , today as Charterhouse of Valldemossa one of the most famous attractions of the Mediterranean island of Mallorca .
- May 23 : Friedrich von Perneck is placed at the side of the ailing Johann von Neuberg as coadjutor. When Johann dies on June 11th, Friedrich follows him as Bishop of Seckau . On September 16 , the papal confirmation follows.
Date of birth saved
- February 25 : Xuande , Chinese Emperor of the Ming Dynasty († 1435 )
- August 1 : Pietro Geremia , Italian Dominican and diplomat († 1452 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Johann von Ahlefeldt , Privy Councilor and Lord at Gut Lehmkuhlen and Wittmold († 1463 )
- Pietro Balbi , Italian humanist and Bishop of Tropea († 1479 )
- John Busch , Monk in the convent Windesheim, reformers the Augustine Order († 1479 / 1480 )
- Jean d'Orléans , Count of Angoulême and Périgord († 1467 )
- Arnold Westphal , University Rector and Bishop of Lübeck († 1466 )
- Zara Yaqob , Negus negest of Ethiopia († 1468 )
Born around 1399
- Pier Candido Decembrio , translator and politician in Milan († 1477 )
- 1399/ 1400 : Rogier van der Weyden , Flemish painter († 1464 )
First half of the year
- February 3rd : John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster , English nobleman, Lord High Steward of England, founder of the House of Lancaster (* 1340 )
- February 10 : Jean de Murol , Bishop of Geneva and Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux (* around 1340 )
- after March 18: Jelena Gruba , Queen of Bosnia (* around 1345 )
- March 21 : Eberhard von Attendorn , Bishop of Lübeck
- March 24th : Margaret Brotherton, Duchess of Norfolk , English noblewoman (* around 1320 )
- after April 6: Christian V , Count of Oldenburg (* around 1342 )
- April 25th : Widzeld tom Brok , East Frisian chief of Brokmer and Auricherlands
- May 1st : Wilhelm I. zu Castell , ruler of the county of Castell
- June 11 : Johann von Neuberg , Bishop of Seckau (* around 1330 )
Second half of the year
- July 6 : Martin von Polheim , German Benedictine and abbot of Kremsmünster Abbey
- July 11th : Heinrich VIII. , Duke of Lüben, Liegnitz and Brieg (* 1344 )
- July 13 : Peter Parler , German architect, sculptor, engineer and cathedral builder (* 1330 or 1333 )
- July 14th : Johann Niebur , Mayor of Lübeck
- July 17th : Hedwig von Anjou , "King" of Poland and Catholic saint (* 1373 )
- July 17 : Lamprecht von Brunn , Bishop of Brixen, Speyer, Strasbourg and Bamberg (* around 1320 / 30 )
- July 20 : William Dacre, 5th Baron Dacre , English nobleman and politician (* around 1357 )
- July 23 : Hugo von Vorteilst , Vicar General of Cologne
- September 7th : Lisa von Lösnich , German nobleman
- September 13th : Philippa FitzAlan , English noblewoman
- 22nd September : Thomas Mowbray, 1st Duke of Norfolk , English nobleman, Earl of Nottingham and Earl Marshal of England (* 1366 )
- October 3 : Eleanor de Bohun , English noblewoman, Duchess of Gloucester
- October 5 : Raimund von Capua , Italian Dominican, spiritual guide and biographer of St. Catherine of Siena (* around 1330 )
- October 29th : Gjin Bua Shpata , Albanian prince
- November 1 : Johann V , Duke of Brittany, Count of Montfort-l'Amaury and Earl of Richmond (* 1339 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Barquq , Sultan of the Mamluks in Egypt (* 1339 )
- Beatrix von Mecklenburg , first princely abbess in the Poor Clare monastery in Ribnitz (* 1324 )
- Nicolaus Biceps , Czech theologian and philosopher
- Jacques de Guyse , French Franciscan and historian (* 1334 )
- Otto von Braunschweig-Grubenhagen , Duke of Brunswick-Grubenhagen, Prince of Taranto and Count of Acerra (* 1319 / 20 )