Antonello da Messina dies.
|Christian I of Denmark founds the University of Copenhagen .|
Ottoman Empire suffers a defeat against Hungary
in the battle of the Brodfeld .
|1479 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||927/928 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||12. Rabbit - Matlactli omome Tochtli (until the end of January / beginning of February: 11th house - Matlactli ozce Calli )|
|Buddhist calendar||2022/23 (southern Buddhism); 2021/22 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||69th (70th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||841/842 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||883/884 (turn of the year March 24/25)|
|Jewish calendar||5239/40 (September 15/16)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1789/90 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1790/91 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1535/36 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Ottoman Empire / Florence
Bernardo Bandini Baroncelli , one of the main assassins of the Pazzi conspiracy against the Medici and alleged murderer Giuliano di Piero de 'Medicis , who managed to escape to the Ottoman Empire last year , is arrested in Constantinople on the orders of Sultan Mehmed II in the spring . At the end of the year Lorenzo de 'Medici achieved his extradition to Florence through negotiations with the Sublime Porte . Bandini is returned to Florence, sentenced to death on December 28, and hanged the following day in the Palazzo del Bargello .
Eastern, Central and Southeastern Europe
The Republic of Venice under the doge Giovanni Mocenigo , who was newly elected last year, makes peace with the Ottoman Empire under Sultan Mehmed II on January 24th and has to forego the Argolis , Negroponte, Skutari and Lemnos and also pay tribute 10,000 gold ducats every year.
At the beginning of the reign of Matthias Corvinus, the Hungarian generals Pál Kinizsi and István Báthory win an important victory over the Turks in the Battle of Brodfeld on October 13th . The Ottomans under Ali Kodscha are crushed. The defeat of the Ottomans means that they no longer attack southern Hungary and Transylvania for a long time .
With the Peace of Olomouc , Matthias Corvinus and Wladislaw von Poland put an end to the ten-year Bohemian-Hungarian conflict. Corvinus renounces further claims in Bohemia , but keeps the Bohemian neighboring countries Moravia , Silesia , Upper and Lower Lusatia and the title of King of Bohemia . The Bohemian claims to rule of the one who was to die first should fall to the other. With this provision, the constitutional unity of the Bohemian Crown is preserved, even if there are currently two kings.
Holy Roman Empire
- June 27th : With the death of Philip I , whose two sons died before him, the male line of the Katzenelnbogen dies out. The County of Katzenelnbogen including the capital of the same name and the city of Darmstadt falls to Landgrave Heinrich III. von Hessen , who is married to Anna von Katzenelnbogen. Because of this heritage, he is nicknamed "the rich". For some time, Darmstadt sank from an important secondary residence to the status of a provincial town.
West and South West Europe
Duke Maximilian I of Burgundy from the House of Habsburg defeated the French under Philippe de Crèvecœur in the battle of Guinegate on August 17th with his army . King Louis XI. wanted to incorporate further Burgundian possessions into his empire.
The Treaty of Alcáçovas , signed on September 4th in Toledo , Castile, ended the War of the Castilian Succession between Castile and Portugal . The Portuguese King Alfonso V declares that he is renouncing all claims to the Castilian throne, in return the Portuguese sovereignty over all waters and lands south of Cape Bojador is affirmed. Only the Canary Islands are awarded Castile.
- The Vietnamese Empire Annam attacks the neighboring Lan Xang and defeats it, killing the heir to the throne of Lan Xang Kone Keo . King Sai Tia Kaphut then abdicates in favor of his eldest son, Suvanna Ban Lang , who is gathering an army and driving the invaders out of the capital Luang Prabang .
First documentary mentions
Furna is first mentioned in a document.
science and technology
- First documented mention of the Schwabach Latin School
Culture and society
- July 10th : The city council of Leipzig decides to “eren the city and all citizens for the benefit and pious” of the city piper . The first Leipzig town pipers are Hans Nagel and his two sons. You have to help shape the music in the churches, to blow regularly at the town hall and to play it for festivities. The town pipers must take an exam and take an oath before taking office.
- Giovanni Dario, Secretary of the Senate of the Republic of Venice, commissioned the well-known architect Pietro Lombardo to build a palazzo in the Sestiere (district) of Dorsoduro , directly on the Grand Canal at the beginning of the Rio delle Torreselle. The Palazzo Dario is completed in 1487 . The body of the building is built in the typical Italian Gothic style, while the facade represents the Renaissance .
- January 10 : Johannes Cochläus , German humanist († 1552 )
- March 12 : Giuliano di Lorenzo de 'Medici , Duke of Nemours († 1516 )
- March 13 : Lazarus Spengler , councilor and supporter of the Reformation in Nuremberg († 1534 )
- March 20 : Ippolito I. d'Este , Archbishop of Gran, Milan and Capua († 1520 )
- March 25th : Vasily III. , Grand Duke of Moscow († 1533 )
- May 3 : Heinrich V , Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin († 1552 )
- May 5 : Amar Das , Guru of the Sikhs († 1574 )
- June 15 : Lisa del Giocondo , Florentine citizen's wife, probably model for the Mona Lisa († 1542 )
- June 16 : Bogdan III. , Voivode of the Principality of Moldova († 1517 )
- August: Katherine of York , English nobleman and member of the House of York († 1527 )
- September 17 : Celio Calcagnini , Italian humanist († 1541)
- November 6th : Joan of Castile , Queen of Castile, León and Aragón († 1555 )
- November 6 : Philip I , Margrave of Baden († 1533 )
January to July
- January 18 : Louis IX. , Duke of Bavaria-Landshut (* 1417 )
- January 19 : John II , King of Aragón, Sardinia and Navarre (* 1397 or 1398 )
- February 12 : Eleanor , Queen of Navarre (* 1425 )
- March 27 : Jorge Manrique , Castilian poet (* around 1440 )
- April 2 : Berardo Eroli , Bishop of Spoleto and Cardinal Bishop of Sabina (* 1409 )
- April 12th : Bernhard Darsow , Councilor of the Hanseatic City of Lübeck
- April 13 : Niklas von Wyle , German writer and translator (* around 1410 )
- April 21 : Hans von Waltheim , patrician from Halle (Saale), traveler and pilgrim (* 1422 )
- June 27 : Philipp I , Count of Katzenelnbogen (* 1402 )
- July 12 : Silvester Stodewescher , Archbishop of Riga
August to December
- Beginning of August: Adrian I. von Bubenberg , Bernese mayor and commander in the battle of Murten (* 1434 )
- August 3 : Giacopo Antonio Venier , Cardinal of the Catholic Church, Bishop of Syracuse, León and Cuenca (* 1422 )
- August 7th : Wilhelm II. , Count and Lord zu Castell (* 1415 )
- September 2nd : Ulrich von Nussdorf , Prince-Bishop of Passau
- September 10 : Jacopo Ammannati Piccolomini , Italian scholar and cardinal of the Catholic Church (* 1422 )
- September 23 : Lucrezia d'Alagno , Italian nobleman, mistress of King Alfonso V of Aragón (* around 1430 )
- September 30th : Margaret of Savoy , Queen of Sicily, Countess Palatine and Countess of Württemberg (* 1420 )
- October 14th : Margarete von Bayern , Märkgräfin von Mantua (* 1442 )
- November 6th : James Hamilton, 1st Lord Hamilton , Scottish nobleman (* around 1415 )
- after December 19: Nicole , Countess of Penthièvre (* before 1434)
- December 29 : Bernardo Bandini Baroncelli , Italian banker and assassin (* 1420 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Antonello da Messina , Italian painter (* around 1429 / 1430 )
- Loyset Liédet , Franco-Flemish scribe, painter and illuminator (* around 1420 )
- Hans Strigel the Younger , Memmingen painter (* 1450 )