Cosimo de 'Medici
returns to Florence .
becomes king of Poland .
|The Hussite Wars end with the Battle of Lipan .|
|1434 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||882/883 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||6th house - Chicuace Calli (until the end of January / beginning of February: 5th Feuerstein - Macuilli Tecpatl )|
|Buddhist calendar||1977/78 (southern Buddhism); 1976/77 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||68th (69th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||796/797 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||837/838 (turn of the year 6/7 August)|
|Jewish calendar||5194/95 (September 3-4)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1744/45 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1745/46 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1490/91 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- May 30th : The Hussite Wars end with the Battle of Lipan . The more radical Taborites under the leadership of Andreas Prokop and the soldiers of the orphans , led by Jan Čapek ze Sán, are subject to the troops of the Utraquists under Chalice brother Diviš Bořek z Miletínka and Catholics in Bohemia . Andreas Prokop falls in battle.
- Wladyslaw III. succeeds his father Władysław II Jagiełło , who died on June 1st, as King of Poland .
- Under the direction of Engelbrekt Engelbrektsson , the Engelbrekt uprising in Sweden breaks out in Dalarna in midsummer and spreads rapidly in Svealand with the tolerance of the nobility . The main causes of the uprising are general dissatisfaction with the growing tax pressure due to King Erik XIII's offensive foreign policy . and with the strict rule of the mostly foreign (Danish and German) bailiffs. There is also dissatisfaction among the nobility, whose power has been severely curtailed, and in the church over royal attempts to control the filling of church offices. In addition, the sea blockade of the Hanseatic League in the Sundzollkrieg also triggered an economic crisis in the Swedish hinterland, while the king is tightening the tax screw to finance the war.
- Cosimo de 'Medici takes power in Florence with papal support . The Albizzi family under the head of the family Rinaldo degli Albizzi , who compete with the Medici , must go into exile.
European voyages of discovery
The Portuguese navigator Gil Eanes circumnavigated Cape Bojador in the service of Henry the Navigator on his second attempt . Since 1422 there have been 15 attempts to overcome the “Cape of Fear” or “Cape of No Return”, which has been considered the end of the world since the Middle Ages, as all life is extinguished by the sun and the skin in a boiling lake south of it would turn black.
- 19 / June 20 : After just eight months on the Ethiopian throne dies Amda Jesus . Zara Yaqob becomes the new negus .
- China under the Ming emperor Xuande and Japan under the Muromachi shogun Ashikaga Yoshinori establish the Tosen bugyō system (唐 船 奉行) of mutual trade missions. (written down in Mansai Jugo Nikki (満 済 准 后 日記))
science and technology
- The Archives of China and Tibet are completed, a Tibetan historical work by the Sakya monk Tagtshang Dzongpa Peljor Sangpo . In terms of the literary genre, it is essentially similar to the Red Annals , but provides more detailed accounts of historical events.
- The University of Catania is founded in Sicily .
- October 19 : The Dresden Striezelmarkt is first mentioned in a document. It goes back to a privilege that the Saxon Elector Friedrich II. Issued to the city . Originally it was a one-day meat market where the residents could choose their Christmas roast after the pre-Christmas fasting days.
The Leonese knight Suero de Quiñones calls between July 10 and August 9 on the bridge of Hospital de Órbigo all to Santiago pilgrim knight on a knightly duel out the Paso Honroso . Tradition has it that Don Suero rode 300 lances and never lost a duel.
- Amadeus VIII , Duke of Savoy , founds the Order of St. Mauritius .
- Valmer Castle is mentioned for the first time in a document.
Date of birth saved
- January 7th : Adolf , Duke of Bavaria-Munich from the House of Wittelsbach († 1441 )
- March 9th : Ashikaga Yoshikatsu , seventh Shogun of the Ashikaga Shogunate († 1443 )
- March 12 : Wilhelm III. , German nobleman, Count von Henneberg († 1480 )
- June 13 : Cristoforo della Rovere , Italian cardinal († 1478 )
- July 25 : Jacopo da Volterra , Italian humanist († 1516 )
- August : Sebastian I , German nobleman, Count von Ortenburg († 1490 )
- August 29 : Janus Pannonius , Bishop of Fünfkirchen († 1472 )
- September 23 : Jolande of France , Duchess of Savoy († 1478 )
- December 28 : Antonio Grimani , 76th Doge of Venice († 1523 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Johann II of Baden , Archbishop and Elector of Trier († 1503 )
- Markus von Baden , Margrave of Baden († 1478 )
- Battista Guarino , Italian humanist († 1513 )
- Konstantin Laskaris , Byzantine scholar († 1501 )
- Ardicino della Porta , Italian cardinal († 1493 )
- Johann II. Von Rosenberg , Bohemian nobleman from the Rosenberg family, captain in Silesia and highest Bohemian chamberlain († 1472 )
- Girolamo Basso della Rovere , Italian cardinal († 1507 )
- Michael Wolgemut , German painter († 1519 )
- Heinrich Zili , Swiss Mayor († after 1500)
Born around 1434
First half of the year
- March 6 : Heinrich Faber , German abbot of Ochsenhausen
- March 14th : Thomas Chaucer , English nobleman (* around 1367 )
- May 5 : Dietrich Engelhus , German teacher and author (* around 1362 )
- May 5 : Johannes Rothe , German town clerk, canon, historian and author (* around 1360 )
- May 6 : Friedrich von Laubenberg , Prince Abbot of Kempten
- May 30th : Andreas Prokop , military leader of the Hussites (* around 1380 )
- June 1 : Władysław II. Jagiełło , Grand Duke of Lithuania, King of Poland (* 1348 )
- June 11 : Bernhard I , German nobleman, Prince of Lüneburg and Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel (* between 1358 and 1364)
- 19 / 20 June : Amda Jesus , Emperor of Ethiopia
- June: Maria von Berry , French noblewoman, Duchess of Auvergne (* around 1367 )
Second half of the year
- August 4th : Konrad von Zwole , Moravian nobleman, Bishop of Olomouc
- August 26th : Margarete von der Pfalz , German noblewoman, Duchess of Lorraine (* 1376 )
- October 15 : Euphemia Stewart , daughter of the Scottish King Robert II (* before 1375 )
- November 12th : Ludwig III. , French nobleman, titular king of Naples, duke of Anjou and Touraine (* 1403 )
- November 30th : Johann II von Schleinitz , German Bishop of Naumburg
- December 15 : Enrique de Villena , Spanish scholar, author and translator (* 1384 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Abd al-Aziz II , Caliph of the Hafsids in Ifriqiya
- Juan Alfonso de Baena , Castilian troubadour (* around 1375 )
- Jean I. de Bourbon , French nobleman, Duke of Bourbon (* 1381 )
- Puta the Younger from Častolowitz , Bohemian nobleman, pledgee of Glatz, Frankenstein and Münsterberg
- Johann Darsow , German councilor of the Hanseatic city of Lübeck
- Konrad von Dhaun , German Elector, Archbishop of Mainz (* around 1380 )