Portal history | Portal Biographies | Current events | Annual calendar
13th century |
| 15th century
◄ | 1310s | 1320s | 1330s | 1340s | 1350s | 1360s | 1370s | ►
◄◄ | ◄ | 1344 | 1345 | 1346 | 1347 | 1348 | 1349 | 1350 | 1351 | 1352 | ► | ►►
Calendar overview 1348
the Black Death known Pestpandemie
is spreading in Europe.
|1348 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||796/797 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||11. Tubes - Matlactli ozce Acatl (until the end of January / beginning of February 10th Rabbit - Matlactli Tochtli )|
|Buddhist calendar||1891/92 (southern Buddhism); 1890/91 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||67th (68th) cycle
Year of the earth-rat戊子 ( at the beginning of the year fire-pig 丁亥)
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||710/711 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||748/749 (turn of the year March 31 / April 1)|
|Jewish calendar||5108/09 (August 24/25)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1658/59 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1659/60 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1404/05|
Politics and world events
- February 2 : The Teutonic Order prevails in the Battle of the Strėva in the context of the Lithuanian wars against an army of twice the size of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania . As a result, the Livonian branch of the order advances to Šiauliai in autumn without significant resistance and the Lithuanian influence on Pskov and Smolensk wanes. However, the order is unable to take advantage of its success in the long term, as the Black Death causes heavy losses in its ranks a little later .
- March 14 : The Bremen Cathedral Chapter unanimously elects Moritz von Oldenburg as the successor to Otto I, who died at the beginning of the year, as Archbishop of Bremen . Pope Clement VI in Avignon, however, refuses to confirm the election and instead appoints Gottfried von Arnsberg , the bishop of Osnabrück , as the new archbishop - presumably in return for appropriate monetary payments . The Bremen archbishop feud begins.
- March 16 : Charles IV , who settles in Prague in the same year , approves the construction of Prague's New Town with a ceremonial laying of the foundation stone for the city wall .
- August 29th : The Venetians are victorious in a sea battle near Karystos between the warring maritime republics of Venice and Genoa .
- November 19 : In the Treaty of Namslau there is a balance of interests between Bohemia's King Charles IV and Poland's King Casimir III. the great. Casimir gives up his claims to Silesia , the House of Luxembourg his rights to Poland .
- The false Woldemar is enfeoffed with the Mark Brandenburg by Charles IV . Around 1350 he was exposed as a fraud.
science and technology
- April 7 : The Charles University in Prague is founded as the first university in Eastern Central Europe by a letter of foundation from the Bohemian King Charles IV, following the example of the Paris Universitas magistrorum et scholarium .
- The most prestigious medical faculty in the West, that of Paris , is commissioned by the French king to give an opinion on the great plague . This leads to the conclusion that a conjunction of the planets Jupiter , Saturn and Mars on March 24, 1345 triggered the atmospheric changes that are said to have led to the plague.
Culture and society
- January 19th : England's King Edward III. donates the Order of the Garter , whose ribbon is worn under the left knee.
- The laischaft Osnabrück is first mentioned in a document.
- The Moravian country table is started. The register of legal transactions of the nobility has been kept for over 500 years and has been preserved until today.
- July 4th : Pope Clement VI. turns against the persecution of the Jews at the time of the Black Death in a bull . Except in Avignon, however, his writing is largely ignored.
- March 17th : Andreas von Wislica becomes Bishop of Schwerin as successor of Willekin Pape , who died on March 2nd . He devotes his main activity to the fight against the Bülows, the relatives of his two predecessors, who have confiscated almost all of the monastery property as pledge for money loaned and services rendered.
- September 26th : Pope Clement VI. In a second bull entitled Quamvis perfidiam, declares the Jews innocent as having poisoned a well or causing the plague . Anyone who persecutes Jews must expect excommunication .
- January 25 : A severe earthquake with an epicenter in Friuli leads, among other things, to a landslide on the Dobratsch in Carinthia , in which numerous villages are buried and a number of castles are destroyed.
- The spread of the plague begins as a European pandemic known (later) as the Black Death , which by 1353 kills about half of Europe's population. It leads to flagellantism and persecution of Jews for alleged well poisoning .
- The plague is also raging in the Orient , in Cairo alone , 900,000 people are said to have died from it.
Date of birth saved
- April 11 : Andronikos IV , Byzantine Emperor († 1385 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Alberico da Barbiano , Italian condottiere († 1409 )
- Guillaume Fillastre , French cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church († 1428 )
- Giovanni Sercambi , Italian writer and statesman († 1424 )
- Wenceslas II , Duke of Liegnitz, Bishop of Lebus and Bishop of Breslau († 1419 )
January to June
- January 21 : Heinrich III. , Count of Vaudémont
- January 23 : Carlo , Duke of Durazzo (* 1323 )
- . wahrsch February 2 : Manvydas , Lithuanian nobleman (* around 1288 )
- February 2 : Narimantas , Prince of Polotsk and Pinsk (* around 1294 )
- March 2nd : Willekin Pape , Bishop of Schwerin
- March 8 : Ulrich von Württemberg , Count of Württemberg and Canon of Speyer
- March 11th : Peter I , abbot in the monastery of St. Blasien
- April 3 : Adolf VI. , Count von Berg
- April 3 : John II , Duke of Athens and Neopatria (* 1317 )
- April 6 : Laura de Noves , French noblewoman, wife of Count Hugues II. De Sade, possibly Muse Petrarch (* 1310 )
- May 1st : Heinrich IV. , Count of Waldeck (* around 1282/90)
- June 10 : Gozzio Battaglia , Cardinal of the Roman Church (* around 1270 )
- June 13 : Don Juan Manuel , Castilian statesman and writer (* 1282 )
- June 25 : Rudolf IV. , Margrave of Baden (* before 1291)
July to December
- July 3 : Giovanni Colonna , Cardinal of the Catholic Church (* around 1295)
- July 5 : Luis de la Cerda , Spanish nobleman (* 1291 )
- July 7 : Johannes Andreae , Italian legal scholar (* around 1270 )
- August 1st : Blanca Margarete von Valois , first wife of the Bohemian King and later Emperor Charles IV (* 1317 )
- August 3 : Gauscelin de Jean , French cardinal of the Catholic Church
- August 20 : Bernhard III. , Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg
- August 20 : Bernardo Tolomei , saint of the Catholic Church (* 1272 )
- 23 August : John Stratford , Bishop of Winchester and Archbishop of Canterbury (b. 1275 )
- October 2 : Alice de Lacy , English noblewoman (* 1281 )
- October 16 : Luitgard von Wittichen , German mystic and founder of a monastery (* 1291 )
- October 27th : Withego I. von Ostrau , Bishop of Naumburg
- December 2 : Hanazono , last Japanese emperor from the Kamakura period (* 1297 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Beginning of the year: Otto I , Archbishop of Bremen
- February: adh-Dhahabī , Arab scholar -biographer and historian (* 1274 )
- Spring: Johannes Angelo , Byzantine aristocrat, military leader and provincial governor
- June: Gentile da Foligno , Italian doctor and natural philosopher (* 1280 /
- after August 24: Lawrence Hastings , English magnate and military (* 1320 ) 1290)
- ʿAlī ibn ʿUṯmān ibn at-Turkumānī , Hanafi judge, lawyer and teacher of the Saheeh collection of al-Buchārī in Egypt
- Barlaam of Calabria , southern Italian cleric and scholar (* around 1290)
- Ferrer Bassa , Catalan painter (* between 1285 and 1290)
- Maso di Banco , Italian painter
- Umur Bey , Turkish emir (* around 1309)
- Giovanni Villani , Italian businessman, politician and historian, victim of the Black Death
Died around 1348
- between February 16, 1347 and May 8, 1348: Heinrich III. , Vogt of Plauen (* around 1284 )
- Ambrogio Lorenzetti , Italian painter (* around 1290 )
- Pietro Lorenzetti , Italian painter (* around 1280 )
Commons : 1348 - Collection of pictures, videos and audio files