|Lahneck Castle , four electors declare the Roman-German King Wenzel of Luxembourg deposed.|
Richard II of England is murdered.
|1400 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||848/849 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||11. Tubes - Matlactli ozce Acatl (until the end of January / beginning of February 10th Rabbit - Matlactli Tochtli )|
|Buddhist calendar||1943/44 (southern Buddhism); 1942/43 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||68th (69th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||762/763 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||802/803 (turn of the year August 21-22)|
|Jewish calendar||5160/61 (September 19-20)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1710/11 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1711/12 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1456/57|
Politics and world events
Holy Roman Empire
The city of Würzburg is besieged by the troops of the Prince-Bishop of Würzburg , Gerhard von Schwarzburg , who are supported by the Counts of Schwarzburg , the Counts of Henneberg , the Burgraves of Nuremberg and the troops of Duke Ludwig of Bavaria in the Frankish City War, which has been going on for four years and cut off from supplies, so that the besieged go hungry. Contrary to the warnings of the council, the guilds then decide to venture out to Bergtheim, a four-hour walk away, since the cathedral chapter's grain stores are in the fortified churchyard there. The failure of the alleged 3,000-strong civil army takes place on the night of January 11th (according to other sources on the night of January 4th ). Bishop Gerhard von Schwarzburg, who is sick in the Wasserburg Werneck , learns of the project through betrayal and has the Bergtheim churchyard occupied. The following battle of Bergtheim ends with a crushing defeat of the insurgents and the subsequent execution of their spokesmen.
The electors of Cologne , Mainz , Trier and Palatinate deny Wenzel of Luxembourg government power in the German Empire at a meeting on August 20 at Lahneck Castle near Oberlahnstein , thereby claiming negative voting rights for themselves. You replace him with Ruprecht III. from the Palatinate , which, however, is not recognized by the other electors. He is elected to be the second king of Rhens in the king's chair because the city of Frankfurt am Main has failed to vote because it rejected Ruprecht's candidacy.
Gerhard von Schwarzburg dies on November 9th in Würzburg. Just ten days later , Johann I von Egloffstein , who also took part in the Battle of Bergtheim, was unanimously elected as his successor as Bishop of Würzburg . As part of his financial and administrative policy, he divides the city of Würzburg into four parts and four suburbs, a division that will be maintained for a long time.
Republic of Venice
- November 23 : After the death of Antonio Venier , Michele Steno is elected as the new Doge of Venice . His election is celebrated over months with events and parades. As a member of the "war party", Zeno aims to expand the Venetian national territory on the Terraferma .
England / Wales
- September 18 : Owain Glyndŵr burns the north Welsh town of Ruthin to a large extent with his followers on the occasion of a feud with the neighboring nobleman Reginald Gray, 3rd Baron Gray de Ruthin . He repeats this in other places in the neighboring property. The action is the germ of an independence uprising of the Welsh against the English king Henry IV. , Which starts in the same year.
- Jeongjong , second ruler of the Joseon dynasty in the Korean kingdom of Joseon , abdicates under pressure from his brother, who succeeds him as Taejong on the throne.
- Since 1225 in Vietnam 's ruling Trần dynasty is from the Ho Dynasty replaced.
First documentary mentions
- Herbetswil is first mentioned in a document.
- Bernhard von Uissigheim fought as a member of the local nobility of Uissigheim on the side of the episcopal armed forces in the battle of Bengtheim. His literary processing of the battle leads to the most extensive political poetry of events of the late Middle Ages and the early modern period . His poem with around 2,200 verses portrays the rebels in a ridiculous manner and makes them appear traitors, while the Frankish nobility is positively emphasized. The seal also reacts to mock seals on the opposite side.
- around 1400: The Bohemian poet Johannes von Tepl wrote the work Der Ackermann von Böhmen .
- around 1400: The text Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is written.
- around 1400: The French-speaking history of Ponthus et la belle Sidonie emerges.
- around 1400: The soft style in the late Gothic period reached its peak.
- around 1400: The Brennerbad medicinal spring is first mentioned in a document.
- At the Jagiellonian University in Krakow one is theological faculty founded.
- The construction of the church of Santa Maria delle Carceri and a small convent called Eremo delle Carceri was commissioned by Bernardine of Siena .
- The Order of San Jorge de Alfama and the Order of Montesa are merged.
- around 1400: The Sankt-Petri-Kirche in Magdeburg is converted into a three-aisled Gothic hall church , presumably at the instigation of Archbishop Albrecht von Querfurt .
- Another plague epidemic is raging in Europe .
- around 1400: Bernardine of Siena reports on a ball game - Gioco del Pallone - that is played in the streets of the city.
Historical maps and views
Date of birth saved
- January 13 : John of Portugal , Duke of Aveiro from the house of Avis († 1442 )
- May 31 : Domenico Capranica , Italian humanist and cardinal of the Catholic Church († 1458 )
- July 26 : Isabel le Despenser, 5th Baroness Burghersh , English nobleman († 1439 )
- December 25 : John Sutton, 1st Baron Dudley , English soldier and politician († 1487 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Walter Fitzwalter, 7th Baron Fitzwalter , English nobleman and military man († 1431 )
- Thomas Harrington , English knight († 1460 )
- Heilwig von Holstein , Countess of Oldenburg († 1436 )
- Richard Neville, 5th Earl of Salisbury , English nobleman and leader of the Yorkists († 1460 )
- Stanisław Ostroróg , voivode of Poznan († 1477 )
Born around 1400
- Aschikpaschazade , Ottoman historiographer († probably after 1484)
- Eleanor Cobham , English court lady († 1452 )
- Bartolomeo Colleoni , Italian mercenary leader († 1475 )
- Guillaume Du Fay , Franco-Flemish composer, singer and music theorist († 1474 )
- Bartolomeo Facio , Italian humanist and astrologer († 1457 )
- Johannes Fust , German printer, publisher and business partner of Gutenberg († 1466 )
- Johannes Gutenberg , German inventor of printing with movable type († 1468 )
- Stephan Krumenauer , German builder († 1461 )
- Luca della Robbia , Italian sculptor († 1481 )
- Heinrich Rubenow , Mayor of Greifswald and co-founder of the Ernst Moritz Arndt University († 1462 )
- Owain ap Maredudd ap Tudur , Welsh soldier and courtier, ancestor of the Tudor family († 1461 )
- Verena von Waldburg , Swabian nobleman († 1443 )
- Konrad Witz , also Konrad von Rottweil , German-Swiss painter († 1446 )
Date of death secured
- 9 / January 10 : John Holland, 1st Duke of Exeter , English aristocrat and opponent of the Lords Appellant (* around 1352 )
- 13 January : Thomas le Despenser, 1st Earl of Gloucester , English nobleman and rebel (* 1373 )
- February 14 : Richard II , King of England (* 1367 )
- April 28 : Baldus de Ubaldis , Italian legal scholar (* 1327 )
- June 5 : Frederick , Duke of Brunswick and Luneburg and German anti-king in 1400 (* 1357 / 1358 )
- June 17 : John of Jenstein , Archbishop of Prague, Patriarch of Alexandria and Chancellor of the Czech King Wenceslas IV (*. 1347 / 1350 )
- August 17th : William Arundel , English courtier (* after 1365)
- October 25 : Geoffrey Chaucer , English novelist and poet, author of the Canterbury Tales (born around 1343 )
- November 23rd : Antonio Venier , Doge of Venice
- November 25th : Jean d'Outremeuse , Liège cleric and chronicler (* 1338 )
- December 24th : Archibald Douglas, 3rd Earl of Douglas , Scottish nobleman (* around 1325 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Hans I. von Angelach-Braubach , German Imperial Knight
- Franco Sacchetti , Italian writer (* around 1330 )