|Warwick the Kingmaker falls at the Battle of Barnet .||Edward IV becomes King of England again .|
|João de Santarém discovers the island of São Tomé .|
|1471 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||919/920 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||4th rabbit - Nahui Tochtli (until the end of January / beginning of February: 3rd house - Jei Calli )|
|Buddhist calendar||2014/15 (southern Buddhism); 2013/14 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||69th (70th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||833/834 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||875/876 (turn of the year 19/20 June)|
|Jewish calendar||5231/32 (September 15/16)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1781/82 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1782/83 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1527/28 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
England / Wars of the Roses
April 14th: In the Wars of the Roses for the British throne, the Battle of Barnet is lost for " Warwick the Kingmaker " and he loses his life. The victor Edward IV moves on to Tewkesbury with his troops .
- May 4th: King Edward IV of the House of York defeats the troops of the House of Lancaster under Margaret of Anjou and Edmund Beaufort, 4th Duke of Somerset , at the Battle of Tewkesbury . The battle is a crushing defeat for the House of Lancaster as the seventeen-year-old heir to the throne, Edward of Westminster, as well as many of his followers, including Edmund's younger brother, fall victim to the fighting.
- Edmund Beaufort, like many of the rest of the surviving Lancaster supporters, seeks refuge in Tewkesbury Abbey. There he was captured and two days later, on Monday, May 6th, he was briefly tried by a court martial with the other men and then beheaded.
- May 21: In the Tower of London the deposed King Henry VI. , the last of the Lancaster family , murdered on the orders of the new King Edward IV.
- October 10: The battle on Brunkeberg between the armies of the Swedish ruler Sten Sture the Elder and the Danish and Norwegian king Christian I ends with a victory for the Swedes and decides the Danish-Swedish war . Union King Christian I tried to revive the Kalmar Union after the death of the Swedish King Charles VIII last year .
Holy Roman Empire
Republic of Venice
Cristoforo Moro dies on November 10th after nine years in office as Doge of Venice . In the election of his successor, Niccolò Tron prevails against Pietro Mocenigo and Andrea Vendramin . The new doge reformed the Venetian coin system. He creates a new coin, the tron , which shows the doge's head in profile on the reverse in the manner of ancient coins, thereby violating Venetian customs, in which every kind of personality cult in connection with the republic is rejected.
- September 19: Ottoman troops conquer the Počitelj fortress in the Neretva valley and fight for access to central Bosnia .
Portugal and its voyages of discovery
- December 21: History of São Tomé and Príncipes : The Portuguese navigator João de Santarém discovers the island of São Tomé in the Gulf of Guinea , located near the equator .
- The Portuguese are the first Europeans to cross the equator and discover the Gold Coast in West Africa .
- The Portuguese conquer Tangier and Asilah as further bases in the Algarve across the sea .
- After the death of his father Pachacútec Yupanqui, Túpac Yupanqui became the 10th Inca of Cuzko to become ruler of the Inca empire. Under his rule the empire will experience its greatest expansion.
science and technology
- After August 9th: The University of Genoa is founded by Pope Sixtus IV by means of a papal bull.
On July 26th, Pope Paul II dies in Rome at the age of 54 . After only three days of conclave , Francesco della Rovere was surprisingly elected Pope on August 9, after the electoral college had demanded numerous surrenders from him. He takes the name Sixtus IV . The general of the Franciscan order is initially expected to reflect on pastoral guiding values, but in the same year the first signs of his extravagant nepotism became apparent when on December 16 - contrary to the agreements of the electoral capitulations - he met two of his nephews, Pietro Riario and Giuliano della Rovere , appointed cardinals.
nature and environment
- December: The Great Comet C / 1471 Y1 is visible to the naked eye worldwide at the end of the year .
Date of birth saved
- January 17th: Ulrich III. von Rosenberg , Bohemian nobleman († 1513)
- February 1: Blasius Hölzl , Austrian financier, secretary and councilor to Emperor Maximilian I († 1526)
- February 3: Degenhart Pfäffinger , Bavarian nobleman († 1519)
- February 23: Kilian Leib , humanistically oriented prior in the Augustinian Canons Abbey Rebdorf († 1553)
- May 12: Dorothea von Brandenburg , abbess in the Poor Clare Monastery in Bamberg († 1520)
- May 21: Albrecht Dürer , German painter, graphic artist, mathematician and art theorist († 1528)
- June 6: Jacob II of Baden , (titular) margrave of Baden, archbishop and elector of Trier († 1511)
- July 15: Eskandar , Negus Negest of Ethiopia († 1494)
- July: Jakob Locher , German humanist writer and translator († 1528)
- August 27: George the Bearded , Duke of Saxony and Sagan († 1539)
- September 2: Ercole Strozzi , Italian courtier and poet († 1508)
- September 8: Wilhelm III. , Landgrave of Hessen-Marburg († 1500)
- October 7th: Frederick I , King of Denmark and Norway, Duke of Schleswig and Holstein († 1533)
Exact date of birth unknown
- Arnold von Harff , German knight, pilgrim and author († 1505)
- Adelheid Brömse , German Cistercian and abbess († 1538)
- Symphorien Champier , French physician, historian, translator and editor († 1539)
- Mauritius Ferber , Catholic theologian and Bishop of Warmia († 1537)
- John Forest , English Franciscan minorite, Catholic martyr and blessed († 1538)
- Galeotto Franciotti della Rovere , Italian Cardinal († 1507)
- Elisabetta Gonzaga , Duchess of Urbino († 1526)
- Caspar Güttel , Lutheran theologian and reformer († 1542)
- Nam Gon , Korean politician and neo-Confucian philosopher and poet († 1527)
- Kaspar Vorteilel , Nuremberg patrician and councilor († 1529)
- Simon V , Count zur Lippe († 1536)
- Paul Ziegler , Bishop of Chur († 1541)
Date of death secured
- January 15: Antonio Beccadelli , Italian humanist (* 1394)
- February 5: Nicolaus Pistoris , German medic and mayor of Leipzig (* 1411)
- February 10: Friedrich II. , Margrave and Elector of Brandenburg (* 1413)
- February 22nd: Jan Rokycana , Czech theologian (* 1397)
- March 22nd: George of Podiebrad , King of Bohemia (* 1420)
- April 14th: Humphry Bourchier, 1st Baron Cromwell , English nobleman
- April 14: William Fiennes, 2nd Baron Saye and Sele , English nobleman (* 1428)
- April 14th: John Neville, 1st Marquess of Montagu , English peer and politician (* around 1431)
- April 14th: Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick , English nobleman and military leader in the War of the Roses (* 1428)
- April 23: Andreas Baumkircher , Baron von Schlaining (* 1420)
- May 4th: John Delves , English knight
- May 4th: William Vaux , English knight
- May 4th: Edward of Westminster , Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall (* 1453)
- May 21: Henry VI. , King of England (* 1421)
- July 25th: Thomas von Kempen , Augustinian monk and mystic of the 15th century (* 1380)
- July 26: Pietro Barbo, as Paul II Pope (* 1417)
- August 14: Konrad IX. , Duke of Oels, Cosel, Steinau and half of Beuthen (* 1415/20)
- August 20: Borso d'Este , Duke of Ferrara, Modena and Reggio (* 1413)
- November 8: Ludwig II , Landgrave of Niederhessen (* 1438)
- November 10: Cristoforo Moro , Doge of Venice (* 1390)
- December 17th: Isabel de Portugal , Duchess of Burgundy (* 1397)
- December 24th: Sigismund of Saxony , Bishop of Würzburg (* 1416)
Exact date of death unknown
- January: Otto V , Duke of Braunschweig-Lüneburg (* after 1418)
- Alessandra Macinghi , Italian writer (* 1407)
- Thomas Malory , English author or editor of Le Morte d'Arthur (* around 1405)
- John Milewater , English soldier
- William Tyrell of Heron , English knight
- Pachacútec Yupanqui , ruler of the Inca Empire