After the death of
her father Franz II, Anne becomes
Duchess of Brittany .
|James IV defeats his father James III. and becomes King of Scotland .|
|Bartolomeu Diaz circumnavigates the Cape of Storms .|
|1488 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||936/937 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||8th tubes - Chicuei Acatl (until the end of January / beginning of February: 7th rabbit - Chicome Tochtli )|
|Buddhist calendar||2031/32 (southern Buddhism); 2030/31 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||69th (70th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||850/851 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3821/22 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||893/894 (turn of the year 4th / 5th December)|
|Jewish calendar||5248/49 (September 5-6)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1798/99 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1799/1800 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1544/45 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
The expedition of the Bartolomeu Dias
- The top secret expedition of Bartolomeu Dias , which reached southern Africa at the end of 1487, is driven further south by strong north winds at the beginning of the year. When, after a few days on an easterly course, he has no land contact and the temperature keeps falling, he turns north and comes across an inhabited bay, which he calls Angra dos Vaqueiros because of the herds of cattle grazing there.
- February 3 : The Portuguese Bartolomeu Dias, the first European to anchor his ship east of the Cape of Good Hope, presumably in the Mosselbaai in South Africa. After that the expedition sails further east to find the sea route to India .
- March 12th : The expedition erects a padrão , a stone heraldic pillar, at Cape Padrone . Against the will of his crew, who was on the verge of mutiny, Dias pushed through to the east and reached the mouth of the Great Fish River, where the coast was already clearly running in a north-easterly direction. In honor of his deputy, he baptizes the river with the name Rio Infante . His team, suffering from scurvy , then forced him to turn back.
- End of April: Only on the way back does Dias see the Cape of Good Hope for the first time , which he christened Cabo Tormentoso (Storm Cape). On May 1st, another pillar will be erected in Table Bay .
- July 25th : On the way back, another padrão is set up on the Diaz peak in what is now Namibia.
- After short stays on the Angolan coast and the island of Príncipe in the Gulf of Guinea to take over fresh water, the expedition will return to Lisbon after more than 16 months at the end of December.
Holy Roman Empire
- January 6th : A new coin order with which the indebted city of Braunschweig tries to counteract a currency crisis is the trigger for another layer in Braunschweig . There are riots by several guilds and non-guild-eligible residents, the minorities, whereupon the coin decree is revoked on January 19th . Nevertheless, the conflict continues to worsen.
- February 5th : The Braunschweig insurgents elect the furrier Ludeke Hollant as their spokesman. A review with 75 articles is handed over to the council in the Neustadtrathaus , which it accepts the following day under pressure from the street. A body consisting of 24 men was added to the council, which practically disempowered it. Several council members are forced to resign and expelled from the city, including the customs clerk Hermann Bote . Hollant's arbitrary rule leads to increasing dissatisfaction in the population over the course of the year, which erupted into unrest in October.
- February 14 : The Swabian Confederation , concluded in Esslingen am Neckar with all imperial estates in Swabia, is intended to preserve the peace .
- June 11th : James IV becomes King of Scotland at the age of 15 after his unpopular father James III. was killed fighting noble rebels during or after the Battle of Sauchieburn .
- June 24th : James IV is crowned King of Scotland at Scone at the age of 15 .
- After the death of Caliph Uthman , power struggles break out among the Hafsids in Ifrīqiya , which weaken the empire considerably.
- July 9 : Sheikh Haidar , the fifth leader of the militant Shiite Safawiyya order , is decisively defeated and killed by the Aq Qoyunlu southwest of the city of Derbent .
- After the death of Borommatrailokanat , his son Borommaracha III. who has already co-ruled as Uparat , tenth king of the Siamese Empire of Ayutthaya .
First documentary mentions
- Grub is mentioned for the first time in a document.
- The Missale Aboense is printed. The incunable is the first book printed for Finland . The client is Konrad Bitz , Bishop of Turku .
- With the Prague Bible , the oldest Bible is printed in the Czech language and thus in a Slavic language .
- November 11 : Create a donation to the Holy Mary Stralsund sailors under the name St. Marie brotherhood of sailors in Stralsund the Schiffer Company for the purpose of mutual protection and cooperation as well as social protection of survivors.
- May 26th to September 14th : The Voroneț monastery near the town of Gura Humorului is built on behalf of the Moldovan voivod Ștefan cel Mare .
In Spain a separate council for the Inquisition is set up, the Consejo de la Suprema y General Inquisicion . The Grand Inquisitor Tomás de Torquemada becomes the first chairman of this council . This council forms the cornerstone for the Spanish Inquisition, which from then on developed into a separate authority .
Date of birth saved
- January 6 : Helius Eobanus Hessus , German Protestant humanist († 1540 )
- January 20 : Sebastian Münster , German cosmographer and Hebraist († 1552 )
- January 25 : Georg Truchsess von Waldburg-Zeil , German military leader († 1531 )
- March 9 : Girolamo della Robbia , Italian sculptor and architect († 1566 )
- March 19 : Johannes Magnus , Swedish clergyman († 1544 )
- April 21 : Ulrich von Hutten , German humanist († 1523 )
- May 7th : Johann von der Pfalz , Prince-Bishop of Regensburg († 1538 )
- June 30th : Jost III. von Rosenberg , nobleman from the Rosenberg family († 1539 )
- July 15 : Juan Álvarez y Alva de Toledo , Spanish Dominican, bishop and cardinal († 1557 )
- August 7th : Caspar Aquila , German theologian († 1560 )
- August 15 : Fernando Columbus , Spanish navigator († 1539 )
- December 15 : Ferdinand , Duke of Calabria († 1550 )
- December 31 : Johann Briesmann , German theologian and reformer († 1549 )
Exact date of birth unknown
Born around 1488
Date of death secured
- April 14 : Hinrich Castorp , Mayor of Lübeck (* 1419 )
- April 14th : Girolamo Riario , General Captain of the Church, Lord of Imola and Forlí (* 1443 )
- May 9 : Friedrich I , Duke of Liegnitz and Brieg (* 1446 )
- June 8 : Sigismund von Lamberg , Bishop of Laibach (* before 1444)
- June 11 : Jacob III. , King of Scotland (* 1451 )
- July 18 : Alvise Cadamosto , Italian navigator and explorer in the service of Portugal (* 1432 )
- July 23 : Albrecht von Baden , Margrave of Baden (* 1455 )
- July 30th : Clarice Orsini , Roman nobleman and wife of Lorenzo il Magnifico city mistress of Florence (* 1453 )
- September 9 : Francis II , Duke of Brittany (* 1435 )
- October 2 : Giovanni Arcimboldi , Italian bishop and cardinal
- October 7th : Andrea del Verrocchio , Italian artist (* 1435 )
Exact date of death unknown
- before 10 January: Peter Ugelheimer , Venetian-German merchant, bookseller and bibliophile (approx * 1442 / 1446 )
- Borommatrailokanat , ninth king of the Siamese kingdom of Ayutthaya (now Thailand) (* 1431 )
- Iizasa Choisai Ienao , Japanese samurai and founder of the martial art Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu (* 1387 )
- Sayyed Zahiruddin Mar'ashi , Iranian scholar and historian (* 1413 )
- Richard Tempest , English knight (* around 1408 )
- Uthman , Caliph of the Hafsiden in Ifriqiya (* before 1435)