Calendar overview 1451
Mehmet II becomes Sultan of
the Ottoman Empire .
Felix V dies.
|University of Glasgow is founded.|
|1451 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||899/900 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||10. Rabbit - Matlactli Tochtli (until the end of January / beginning of February: 9th house - Chicuhnahui Calli )|
|Buddhist calendar||1994/95 (southern Buddhism); 1993/94 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||69th (70th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||813/814 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||854/55 (turn of the year 2/3 February)|
|Jewish calendar||5211/12 (August 27-28)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1761/62 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1762/63 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1507/08 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- January 27th : In the Saxon fratricidal war , Elector Friedrich II. And Duke Wilhelm III. after five years of peace in Naumburg. The Altenburg division of the Wettin whole country is now accepted by both.
- October 14 : The Upper - and Lower Austria stands close under the leadership of Ulrich von Eyczing on Schloss Mailberg in the Weinviertel the Mailberger Bund against Duke Frederick V. The 250 signatories to demand the release of under Frederick guardianship heir Ladislaus the Posthumous and want at the same time expand their own influence.
Other events in Europe
- July 31st : Jacques Cœur , the financier of King Charles VII of France , is arrested at court and his property is confiscated. The merchant is accused of killing the royal mistress Agnès Sorel with poison, which later turns out to be intrigue .
- Charles of Viana rebelled against his father John of Aragón , who seized power in Navarre after the death of his wife Blanka . In the beginning of the Navarre Civil War , the Beaumonteses side supported Charles, while the Agramonteses supported Karl's father John. Karl besieged Johann's second wife Juana Enríquez in Estella after she intervened in the country's internal political affairs. Despite the support of John II of Castile , Charles was defeated in the battle of Aibar in autumn . He was imprisoned for almost two years.
- February 3 : After the death of Sultan Murad II , his son Mehmed II , who later conquered Constantinople , takes power in the Ottoman Empire . He is enthroned on February 18th . It cannot be conclusively answered whether the takeover of power will go completely smoothly. While the Byzantine historian Laonikos Chalkokondyles reports on an uprising (the janissaries ?) Ultimately prevented by the Grand Vizier , there is no reference to such unrest in Ottoman chronicles.
First documentary mentions
- St. Antönien is first mentioned in a document.
- May 30th : With the Chemnitz bleaching order , Elector Friedrich II of Saxony forbids the export of unbleached textiles. In addition, the export of flax, yarn and unbleached linen from the Meissen area is prohibited.
- The Jewish headgroschen , which caused a great deal of confusion in trade, is being abandoned in Saxony after seven years.
- The Sigwart brewery is founded.
science and technology
- The University of Glasgow is founded by Pope Nicholas V on a proposal from King James II . It is the second oldest university in Scotland and the fourth oldest in the UK.
- Pope Nicholas V dissolves the Patriarchate of Grado and establishes the Patriarchate of Venice in its place together with the dioceses of Castello and Venice .
Date of birth saved
- January 1 : John Radcliffe, 9th Baron FitzWalter , English nobleman and politician († 1496 )
- January 14th : Franchinus Gaffurius , Italian conductor, composer and music theorist of the Renaissance († 1522 )
- February 17 : Raffaello Maffei , Italian theologian and humanist († 1522 )
- April 22nd : Isabella I , Queen of Castile († 1504 )
- May 2 : René II , Duke of Lorraine († 1508 )
- May 17th : Engelbert II , Count of Nassau-Breda, Lord of Diest, Roosendaal, Nispen and Wouw († 1504 )
- July 10 : Jacob III. , King of Scotland († 1488 )
- September 5 : Isabella Neville , eldest daughter of Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick († 1476 )
- November 1 : Wolfgang von Bayern , Bavarian Prince from the House of Wittelsbach († 1514 )
- November 29 : Elisabeth of Brandenburg-Ansbach , Duchess of Württemberg († 1524 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Balthasar , Duke of Mecklenburg, coadjutor and administrator of the Hildesheim Monastery and the Schwerin Monastery († 1507 )
- William Boleyn , English nobleman and High Sheriff of Kent († 1505 )
- Claudine Grimaldi , mistress of Monaco († 1515 )
- Juan Rodríguez de Fonseca , Spanish diplomat and statesman, Bishop of Burgos († 1524 )
- Matthäus Landauer , Nuremberg merchant († 1515 )
- Nicolás de Ovando , Spanish soldier and governor of Hispaniola († 1511 )
- René de Prie , French cardinal († 1519 )
- Kemal Reis , Ottoman pirate, admiral and cartographer († 1511 )
- Pierre I. de Rohan , French nobleman, diplomat and advisor to three French kings, Marshal of France († 1513 )
- Mohammed Scheibani , founder and Khan of the Uzbek Khanate († 1510 )
- Scholastica von Anhalt , abbess of the free secular monastery of Gernrode and Frose († 1504 )
- Friedrich II. Von Zollern , Bishop of Augsburg († 1505 )
Born around 1451
- 1435 / 45 /51: Nicholas Meyer to the arrow , and Basler Grand Council scribe, Schultheiß in Mulhouse, humanist and writer († 1500 )
- Christopher Columbus , navigator and explorer from Genoa († 1506 )
- Gonçalo Coelho , Portuguese explorer († 1512 )
Date of death secured
- January 5th : Friedrich zu Rhein , Prince-Bishop of Basel
- January 7th : Felix V , last Catholic antipope (* 1383 )
- January 11 : Wilhelm (III.) Von Raron , Prince-Bishop of Sitten (* around 1407 )
- February 2nd : Hermann von Harras , Meissnian field captain (* around 1400 )
- February 3 : Murad II , Sultan of the Ottoman Empire (* around 1403 )
- June 26 : Reinhard II. , Count of Hanau (* around 1369 )
- July 11 : Barbara von Cilli , second wife of Emperor Sigismund of Luxembourg (* around 1390 )
- August 3 : Elisabeth von Görlitz , Duchess of Luxembourg (* 1390)
- October 10 : Astorgio Agnesi , Archbishop of Benevento and Cardinal (* 1389 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Holy Week: Thomas Kerkring , Councilor of the Hanseatic City of Lübeck
- after 23 May: Margareta von Schwangau , German aristocrat, wife of Oswald von Wolkenstein (* around 1390 )
- . btw 15 and 19 December: . Barnim VIII , Duke of Pomerania-Wolgast-Barth (* 1405 / 1407 )
- 21 July / December 20 : Barnim VII. , Duke of Pomerania-Wolgast, Prince of Gützkow (* 1403 / 1405 )
- Johann Bere , merchant and mayor of Lübeck
- Stefan Lochner , German painter (* around 1400 / 1410 )
- Ulrich Nenninger , Mayor of Heilbronn
- Nerio II Acciaiuoli , Duke of Athens
- Sabel Siegfried the Elder , Councilor and Mayor of Stralsund