Calendar overview 1496
|Jews are driven to Spain by King Manuel I, also from Portugal .||
Philip marries the Infanta
Joanna of Castile .
receives a letter of protection from King Henry VII of England
for the search for the Northwest Passage .
|1496 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||944/945 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||3rd tubes - Jei Acatl (until the end of January / beginning of February: 2nd rabbit - Ome Tochtli )|
|Buddhist calendar||2039/40 (southern Buddhism); 2038/39 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||69th (70th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||858/859 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3829/30 (October 2-3)|
|Islamic calendar||901/902 (turn of the year 8/9 September)|
|Jewish calendar||5256/57 (September 7/8)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1806/07 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1807/08 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1552/53 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Spain and its colonies
- The Spaniards under Alonso Fernández de Lugo conquer Tenerife as the last island of the Canaries after almost a century of unsuccessful fighting . They baptized the place of the decisive battle La Victoria de Acentejo .
- Santo Domingo on the island of Hispaniola , later the capital of the Dominican Republic , is founded.
- Portugal under the house of Avis : On December 24th, King Manuel I ordered the expulsion of all Jews within ten months and forced baptisms . A wave of emigration, especially to the Netherlands, begins.
- October 7th : Since Ferdinand II dies childless, his uncle Friedrich I becomes his successor as King of Naples .
Holy Roman Empire
- February 25 : After the death of his father Eberhard I , Eberhard II becomes Duke of Württemberg , who, however, soon comes into conflict with the Württemberg state estates .
- March 4 : With the death of Duke Siegmund without legitimate male descendants, the Tyrolean branch line of the Leopoldine line of the House of Habsburg expires . The states of Tyrol and Upper Austria fall to Emperor Maximilian I.
- April 16 : Seven-year-old Duke Charles II of Savoy is killed by falling out of his bed . Heir to the throne is his great-uncle Philip II.
- August 13 : The subjects of Adam Ploskovský von Drahonice's uprising in Ploskovice , in which Dalibor von Kozojedy also takes part.
- Between the six-year John of Cleves and the five-year Maria of Julich-Berg is on Schloss Burg , a children's engagement held. The wedding takes place 14 years later.
- March 5 : The Venetian Giovanni Caboto and his sons Ludovico, Sebastiano and Sancio receive a letter of protection from the English King Henry VII under the name John Cabot for the search for a shorter northern sea route from Europe to Asia . The trip is financed by a branch of the Florentine Bardi-Bank in London. On his first voyage, however, Caboto only comes to Greenland , where he has to turn back due to a dispute with the crew, lack of food and bad weather.
- September: In support of the English pretender Perkin Warbeck marches James IV. Of Scotland in England one. However, the conflict does not go beyond a border war.
Northern and Eastern Europe
- In the Russo-Swedish War between the Grand Duchy of Moscow under Ivan III. and the Kingdom of Sweden under Sten Sture the Elder , Swedish troops capture Ivangorod fortress . But since this cannot be held for a longer period of time, they set the fortress on fire and then leave.
First documentary mentions
- Meckenbeuren is first mentioned in a document.
- September 21 : After rich silver ore discoveries near the Frohnauer Obermühle am Schreckenberg five years earlier, the Neustadt am Schreckenberg is founded.
science and technology
- After a nunnery founded by John Alcock , the Bishop of Ely , allegedly attracted attention for its excessive freedom of movement, it was converted into a college at Cambridge University , Jesus College .
- Michelangelo leaves Florence for the second time and comes to Rome for his first stay , where he receives little support, however.
- The council of the city of Überlingen issues one of the oldest carnival regulations in southern Germany.
- The Annaglocke in Limburg- Offheim , which still calls to church service today, is cast.
- The monk Romano Pane, who accompanies Christopher Columbus on his second trip, reports on snuff for the first time in Haiti .
- Frederick IV of Baden succeeds David of Burgundy , who died on April 16, as Bishop of Utrecht . Friedrich makes his ceremonial entry into Utrecht on September 17th .
Date of birth saved
- January 6 : Jan Hodějovský z Hodějova , Bohemian nobleman, humanist and patron († 1566 )
- February 12 : Sebastian Schertlin von Burtenbach , German Landsknechtsführer († 1577 )
- March 18 : Mary Tudor , youngest daughter of Henry VII of England, Queen of France by marriage († 1533 )
- May 12 : Gustav I. Vasa , King of Sweden († 1560 )
- August 2 : Konrad Heresbach , German humanist († 1576 )
- October 20 : Claude de Lorraine , first Duke of Guise († 1550 )
- December 20 : Joseph ha-Kohen , Italian-Jewish doctor and chronicler († after 1577 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Johann Agricola from Gunzenhausen , German medic († 1570 )
- João de Barros , Portuguese historian († 1570 )
- Menno Simons , Dutch-Frisian theologian and leading figure of the Anabaptist movement, namesake of the Mennonites († 1561 )
- Johann Walter , German church musician and adviser to Martin Luther on musical issues († 1570 )
- Johannes Zwick , German theologian, lawyer, reformer and hymn poet († 1542 )
Date of death secured
- January 14th : Margaretha von Baden , Abbess of the Lichtenthal Monastery (* 1452 )
- January 16 : Vratislav von Pernstein , Moravian-Bohemian nobleman (* 1463 )
- February 24 : Eberhard I , count, later Duke of Württemberg (* 1445 )
- March 4 : Siegmund , Archduke of Austria and Regent of Tyrol and Upper Austria (* 1427 )
- April 16 : Charles II , Duke of Savoy (* 1489 )
- June 17th : Magdalena von Brandenburg , Countess of Hohenzollern (* 1460 )
- August 9 : Pietro di Francesco Orioli , Italian painter (* 1458 )
- August 15 : Isabella of Portugal , Queen of Castile and Léon (* 1428 )
- October 7th : Ferdinand II , King of Naples (* 1469 )
- October 15 : Gilbert de Bourbon-Montpensier , Count of Montpensier, Duke of Sessa and Viceroy of Naples (* 1443 )
- November 24th : John Radcliffe, 9th Baron FitzWalter , English nobleman and politician (* 1451 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Veit Arnpeck , Bavarian historian
- Pier Capponi , Tuscan businessman, diplomat, politician and general (* 1446 )
- Kait-Bay , Mamluk Sultan of Egypt and Syria (* 1416 )
- Alv Knutsson , Norwegian politician and richest landowner in Norway in the 15th century
- João Vaz Corte-Real , Portuguese knight and navigator (* around 1429 )