William II of Orange
becomes governor of
the United Netherlands .
compose the pamphlet
An Agreement of the People .
Rock of Cashel
during the Irish Confederation Wars .
|1647 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1095/96 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1639/40 (September 11-12)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1052/53 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2190/91 (southern Buddhism); 2189/90 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||72nd (73rd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1009/10 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3980/81 (October 2/3)|
|Iranian calendar||1025/26 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||1056/57 (February 5-6)|
|Jewish calendar||5407/08 (September 29/30)|
|Coptic calendar||1363/64 (September 11-12)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1957/58 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1958/59 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1703/04 (April)|
Politics and world events
England / Scotland / Ireland
- January 23rd : King Charles I of England is extradited to the English Parliament by the Scottish Count Archibald Campbell for a high bounty .
- August: The English Revolutionary Army defeats the troops of the Confederation of Ireland in the Battle of Dungans Hill .
- September: English parliamentary troops under Murrough O'Brien, 1st Earl of Inchiquin , capture and loot the Rock of Cashel . The members of the local garrison and the clergy were massacred and important religious works of art were destroyed.
- November: The English Revolutionary Army defeats the troops of the Confederation of Ireland at the Battle of Knocknanauss .
Thirty Years' War
- March 14th : During the Thirty Years' War Bavaria, Kurköln , France and Sweden signed the armistice of Ulm .
- A French armed force besieged Hohentübingen Castle and blew up its corner towers.
- June 18 : Louis Condé is defeated by the Spaniards near Lleida (Catalonia).
- July 18 : Eger fortress falls under imperial occupation.
- August 18 to September 5 : The imperial troops win the Battle of Triebl .
Further events in the empire
United Netherlands and Nieuw Nederland
The new General Director Petrus Stuyvesant arrives on May 11th as the successor to the controversial Willem Kieft in the colony of Nieuw Nederland . Two weeks later the official inauguration takes place and Stuyvesant appoints a council and sets up a court of law. As a concession to the will of the people, he has 18 delegates elected in a general election, from which the governor and his council form a committee of 9 representatives. Its powers are, however, only of an advisory nature.
Willem Kieft, who is awaiting trial in Amsterdam over his administration, will board the Princess Amalia in August , which will sink off the coast of Wales in September. Kieft finds death in the process. With it, all documents and papers for the process are lost. It is still unclear whether the allegations against him were justified.
- December 5th : Construction of St Agatha's Tower begins in Malta as part of the fortifications. Since the tower was built under Grand Master Jean de Lascaris-Castellar , it is counted among the so-called Lascaris Towers . In terms of construction, it is more like the Wignacourt Towers built earlier .
science and technology
After years of preoccupation with the subject of De vita et moribus Epicuri , the French philosopher Pierre Gassendi publishes a biography of Epicurus with the refutation of the defamation of his person that has been common since ancient times.
The French physicist Blaise Pascal proves with his experiment Void in the Void that the mercury in a manometer column is only pushed to a certain height by the external air pressure. Only with this experiment can the ancient hypothesis of the horror vacui , which goes back to Aristotle , be refuted and thus the existence of the vacuum can be proven.
- Rembrandt van Rijn paints Susanna and the two old people based on the theme of Susanna in the bath .
- Baltasar Gracián's work Oraculo manual y arte de prudencia is published in Huesca, Spain.
- The English Parliament abolishes Christmas .
- Johann Crüger publishes his hymn book Praxis pietatis melica , which contains lyrics by Paul Gerhardt for the first time , including Now rest all forests .
- November 19 : Johann Philipp von Schönborn is elected Archbishop of Mainz to succeed Anselm Casimir Wambolt von Umstadt , who died on October 9 .
- May 13 : Around 12,000 people, around a third of its population, die in Santiago de Chile in a severe earthquake .
- August 4th : Around 4 p.m., the Stephanitorzwinger in Bremen was destroyed by lightning. Six tons of powder stored there explode. Many houses in the surrounding streets are damaged, some of them badly. There is no information about victims.
Historical maps and views
First half of the year
- January 7th : Wilhelm Ludwig , Duke of Württemberg († 1677 )
- January 17 : Samuel Benedict Carpzov , German poet and Protestant theologian († 1707 )
- January 17th : Elisabetha Hevelius , Danzig astronomer († 1693 )
- February 17 : Johann Alexander Böner , Nuremberg engraver, etcher, draftsman and art dealer († 1720 )
- March 19 : Anna Elisabeth , Princess of Anhalt-Bernburg and Duchess of Württemberg-Bernstadt († 1680 )
- April 2 : Maria Sibylla Merian , Swiss naturalist and artist († 1717 )
- May 20 (baptized): Basilius Petritz , Kreuzkantor in Dresden († 1715 )
- June 30th : Johann Georg III. , Prince of the House of Wettin (Albertine line) († 1691 )
- June 30 : Johann Diecmann , German pedagogue and Lutheran theologian († 1720 )
Second half of the year
- July 22nd : Margareta Maria Alacoque , French nun and mystic and saint of the Catholic Church († 1690 )
- July 23 : Luise Marie von der Pfalz , Princess of Salm († 1679 )
- 4th August : Giovanni II. Cornaro , Doge of Venice († 1722 )
- August 12 : Johann Heinrich Acker , German theologian and writer († 1719 )
- August 12 : Eberhard Werner Happel , German writer († 1690 )
- September 1 : Anna Sophie , Electress of Saxony († 1717 )
- September 4 : Gerhard Noodt , Dutch lawyer († 1725 )
- September 23 : Joseph Dudley , colonial governor of Massachusetts († 1720 )
- October 29 : Amalia von Degenfeld , Baroness von Degenfeld († 1683 )
- November 18 : Pierre Bayle , French philosopher and scholar († 1706 )
- November 26 : Marie Hedwig of Hessen-Darmstadt , Duchess of Saxony-Meiningen († 1680 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Arthur Herbert, 1st Earl of Torrington , English admiral and politician († 1716 )
- Joseph I , Patriarch of the Chaldean Catholic Church based in Diyarbakır († 1707 )
- (born in January ): Vincenzo Olivicciani gen. Vincenzino , Italian singer and neuter († 1726 )
First half of the year
- January 12th : Arnold Mengering , German Lutheran theologian (* 1596 )
- January 23 : Dorothea von Ahlefeldt , landlady of Kollmar, Drage and Heiligenstedten (* 1586 )
- April 14 : David Auerbach , German theologian (* 1599 )
- April 25 : Matthias Gallas , imperial general in the Thirty Years War (* 1588 )
- April 25 : Andreas Scultetus , German writer (* around 1622 / 23 )
- May 21 : Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft , Dutch poet and historian (* 1581 )
- May 24th : Ferdinando Gorges , English colonist (* around 1568 )
- June 11 : Christoph Matthäus , German rhetorician, historian and physician in the Netherlands (* 1608 )
Second half of the year
- July 12th : Francesco Maria Farnese , cardinal and regent of the Duchy of Parma (* 1619 )
- July 16 : Masaniello , main leader of the popular uprising of 1647 in Naples (* 1620 )
- August 27 : Pietro Novelli , Sicilian painter (* 1603 )
- August 28 : Johann Dilliger , German Protestant theologian and composer (* 1593 )
- October 4th : Arndt Bottermann , victim of the witch hunt in Witten
- October 9 : Anselm Casimir Wambolt von Umstadt , Archbishop and Elector of Mainz (* 1579 )
- October 25 : Evangelista Torricelli , Italian physicist and mathematician (* 1608 )
- October 28 : Luis Jerónimo de Cabrera , Spanish colonial administrator and viceroy of Peru (* 1586 )
- November 30th : Francesco Bonaventura Cavalieri , Italian mathematician (* around 1598 )
- November 30th : Giovanni Lanfranco , Italian painter (* 1582 )
- December 24th : Albert Burgh , Amsterdam doctor and mayor (* 1593 )
- December 31 : Giovanni Maria Trabaci , Neapolitan composer (* around 1575 )