Hetum Gruber has not had an authorized résumé since 1998: “In the future, no further personal details, no vita, no exhibition directories, no more bibliographies, etc.” (Hetum Gruber, entry in the workbook March 20, 1998). Since 1998 the artist has called himself htmrbr - the pseudonym skips every second letter of his name.
His work includes sculptures, photographic works, drawings and installations . The focus was on the work process as a mediation between thinking and doing.
Since 1973, Hetum Gruber has been drawing (in the sense of: “To do something, the completion of which cannot be foreseen”) on a roll of wrapping paper. The process is simple but requires perseverance. The classic drawing technique was reduced to hatching with a pencil and the tone value to the metallic lead black of the graphite . In 2004 he had hatched 23 meters. "Every line is a proof of my presence" said Gruber. Not only the blackened paper is exhibited, but also the frottage , the base. He included the element of time by setting a fixed time or a geometrical boundary line as a limit, when he would finish the work.
Hetum Gruber died on March 12, 2019.
- Gruber, Hetum . In: General Artist Lexicon . The visual artists of all times and peoples (AKL). Volume 63, Saur, Munich a. a. 2009, ISBN 978-3-598-23030-1 , p. 309.
- Hetum Gruber - To do something whose completion cannot be foreseen , Kehrer Verlag Heidelberg, 2004 ISBN 978-3-93663-6-291
- Something about the cold. Hetum Gruber - Bunker Photography, Photo Museum 1999 ISBN 978-3-79271-5-314
- Between the ages: Photographs by Albanian artists , edited by Iris Lenz, Hetum Gruber, Alexander Tolnay, Monika Winkler, Institute for Foreign Relations , 1995
- Hetum Gruber, "On est dans la merde" : Stadtgalerie Saarbrücken , Heidelberger Kunstverein (German Edition) by Hetum Gruber, Der Kunstverein 1994, ISBN 978-3-92538-1-379
- Hetum Gruber: drawing, sculpture : Städtische Museen Heilbronn , 10 September - 7 November 1993, Städtische Galerie Regensburg, 16 September-23. ... (Heilbronner Museum Catalog) (German Edition), B. Wilhelm 1993 ISBN 978-3-92371-7-828
- Hetum Gruber: Nothing goes away without a vision: sculptures, photo works, drawings , Städtische Galerie Erlangen , July 4th - August 2nd 1987 (German edition), the gallery 1987 ISBN 978-3-92389-9-098
- Hetum Gruber, wood sculptures, works on paper from 1983-1987 , exhibition, September 17 - October 30, 1987, Karl & Faber, 1987
- Hetum Gruber: Don't be afraid of art with meaning , by Bernd Schulz, Saarbrücken, Stadtgalerie Saarbrücken 1985
- Presence of the past: drawings, plastering, woodwork and photos 1980-1984 : March 28 to May 6, 1984, Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus Munich (German Edition) by Hetum Gruber, Die Galerie 1984 ISBN 978-3-88645-0-435
- Obituary notice for Hetum Gruber. April 27, 2019, accessed May 6, 2019 .
- Catalog for documenta 6: Volume 1, page 182: Painting, Plastic / Environment, Performance, 1977 ISBN 3-920453-00-X
- Städtische Galerie Erlangen htmrbr - “to do something that is only art because it cannot be anything else” Parts, photos, lines, colors ( Memento of the original from January 28, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically used and not yet tested. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. accessed on January 23, 2015
- Kunstpalais Description 14-part photo work Hetum Gruber , accessed on January 23, 2015.
- Art Bulletin Karlsruhe: Hetum Gruber in the State Art Gallery ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed January 23, 2015.
- Der Spiegel Mit Durchschlag , accessed on January 23, 2015.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Htmrbr (pseudonym)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German concept artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1937|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Tilsit|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 12, 2019|