Hubert Mordek studied history, Latin and philosophy in Kiel , Würzburg and Tübingen . In 1969 he received his doctorate under Horst Fuhrmann with the work Die Rechtssammlungen der Manschrift von Bonnveal - a work of the Carolingian reform . In the early 1970s, Mordek worked at the German Historical Institute in Rome. In 1975 his habilitation took place with the thesis Church Law and Reform in Franconia. The Collectio Vetus Gallica, the oldest systematic collection of canons in Franconian Gaul. Studies and Edition . From 1978 until his retirement, Mordek taught as professor for medieval history at the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg . His academic students included Thomas Martin Buck , Robert Kretzschmar , Thomas Vogel and Klaus Zechiel-Eckes .
His main focus of work was the history of church and law in the Middle Ages, canon law , the edition of the Carolingian rulers' decrees and the capitularies . Mordek was considered one of the best connoisseurs of the capitularies, the research of which was based on his outstanding knowledge of the handwritten tradition. He defined them as “royal statutes and pronouncements of a legislative, administrative, and religiously instructive character, which are based on the Frankish rulers and are usually divided into chapters, and the greats of the empire often participated in the drafting or enactment”. Mordek's definition found its way into the common manuals. His editorial work and research will be continued within the framework of the Professor Hubert Mordek Foundation, initially with the edition of the Admonitio generalis .
- Canon law and reform in Franconia. The Collectio Vetus Gallica, the oldest systematic collection of canons in Franconian Gaul. Studies and Edition (= contributions to the history and source studies of the Middle Ages. Vol. 1). de Gruyter, Berlin 1975, ISBN 3-11-001826-8 .
- Studies on Franconian rulers' legislation. Essays on capitularies and collections of capitularies selected for the 60th birthday. Lang, Frankfurt am Main et al. 2000, ISBN 3-631-37660-X .
- Papacy, Church and Law in the Middle Ages. Festschrift for Horst Fuhrmann on his 65th birthday. Niemeyer, Tübingen 1991, ISBN 3-484-80142-5 .
- From archives and libraries. Festschrift for Raymund Kottje on his 65th birthday (= Freiburg contributions to medieval history. Vol. 3). Lang, Frankfurt am Main 1992, ISBN 3-631-44363-3 .
- with Klaus Zechiel-Eckes , Michael Glatthaar: The Admonitio generalis of Charlemagne (= Fontes iuris Germanici antiqui in usum scholarum separatim editi. Vol. 16). Hahn Hannover 2012, ISBN 978-3-7752-2201-3 .
- Thomas Martin Buck (Ed.): Sources, Criticism, Interpretation. Celebration for the 60th birthday of Hubert Mordek. Lang, Frankfurt am Main et al. 1999, ISBN 3-631-34883-5 .
- Oliver Münsch and Thomas Zotz (eds.): Scientia veritatis. Festschrift for Hubert Mordek on his 65th birthday. Thorbecke, Ostfildern 2004, ISBN 3-7995-7081-0 .
- Horst Fuhrmann : Obituary for Hubert Mordek . In: German Archive for Research into the Middle Ages . Vol. 62, 2006, pp. 877-879. ( Digitized version )
- Literature by and about Hubert Mordek in the catalog of the German National Library
- Publications by Hubert Mordek in the Opac of the Regesta Imperii
- Hubert Mordek: Carolingian capitularies. In: Tradition and Validity of Normative Texts of the Early and High Middle Ages. Four lectures, given at the 35th German Historians' Day in 1984 in Berlin. Sigmaringen 1986, pp. 25-50, here: p. 25; Hubert Mordek: Franconian capitularies and collections of capitularies. In: Ders .: Studies on Franconian rulers' legislation. Essays on capitularies and collections of capitularies, selected for the 60th birthday. Frankfurt am Main 2000, pp. 1-53, here pp. 1 f.
- Hans-Werner Goetz: Proseminar Geschichte: Mittelalter. 3rd, revised edition. Stuttgart 2006, p. 163 f.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 8, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Namslau|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 17, 2006|
|Place of death||Langensteinbach (Karlsbad)|