Thomas Lothar Zotz (born February 5, 1944 in Prague ) is a German historian of medieval history.
The son of the prehistorian Lothar Zotz , who comes from the Austro-German entrepreneurial, artist and scholarly family Zotz , passed his Abitur in 1963 at the Berthold-Gymnasium Freiburg . From 1963 to 1969 he studied history, Latin, geography as well as prehistory and early history at the universities of Freiburg , Vienna and Hamburg . In 1969 the state examination took place in Freiburg i. Br. In history and Latin. In 1972 he received his doctorate in Freiburg under Josef Fleckenstein with a thesis on the Breisgau and the Alemannic duchy in the 10th and early 11th centuries. From 1973 to 1989 he worked at the Max Planck Institute for History in Göttingen. From 1978 to 1988 teaching positions at the Universities of Göttingen and Hanover followed . In 1989 Zotz was appointed to the professorship for medieval regional history in the German-speaking southwest at the University of Freiburg. In 1999, he turned down the call for a professorship at the University of Marburg . From 1999 until his retirement in 2010 he held the chair for Early and High Medieval History and for Regional Medieval History of the German-speaking Southwest at the University of Freiburg. Andreas Bihrer is one of his academic students .
His main research interests are the royal palaces and the practice of royal rule, the nobility, knighthood and ministerialism in the High Middle Ages, manorial rule, the development of settlements and rulers in southwest Germany in the early and high Middle Ages. Zotz has published numerous studies on the Zähringers . He also wrote the article on the Zähringers in the Lexicon of the Middle Ages . In 2018, and thus for the 800th anniversary of the Zähringer, he presented a current overview. On February 18, 1218, Duke Berthold V, the last male representative of this noble family, died. This is the first time since Eduard Heyck (1891/92) there is an overall representation of this dynasty.
In 1973 he received the price of the Friedrich-Metz-Stiftung Freiburg i. Br. Awarded. Zotz is a member of the Alemannic Institute (1990) and the commission for historical regional studies in Baden-Württemberg (1992). He became a member in 1994 and was chairman of the renowned Konstanz working group for medieval history from 2007 to 2013 . In the autumn of 1997 he led a conference of the Constance working group on the subject of “Swabia and Italy in the High Middle Ages (10th – 13th centuries)” together with Helmut Maurer and Hansmartin Schwarzmaier . Since 2014 he has been chairman of the Oberschwaben Society for History and Culture .
- The Zähringer. Dynasty and rule (= Urban pocket books. Vol. 776). Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 2018, ISBN 3-17-022066-7 .
- The Breisgau and the Alemannic Duchy. On constitutional and property history in the 10th and early 11th centuries (= lectures and research. Special volume 15). Thorbecke, Sigmaringen 1974, ISBN 3-7995-6675-9 ( online ).
- with Felix Heinzer: Hermann the Lame. Reichenau monk and universal scholar of the 11th century (= publications of the Commission for Historical Regional Studies in Baden-Württemberg, Series B, Research. Vol. 208). Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 2016, ISBN 978-3-17-030723-0 .
- with Jeannette Rauschert, Simon Teuscher: Habsburg rule on site - worldwide (1300–1600). Contributions to a conference at Lenzburg Castle near Zurich, October 9-11, 2008. Thorbecke, Ostfildern 2013, ISBN 978-3-7995-0891-9 .
- Princely courts and their outside world: Aspects of social and cultural identity in the German late Middle Ages. Josef Fleckenstein on his 85th birthday (= Identities and Alterities. Vol. 16). Ergon-Verlag, Würzburg 2004, ISBN 3-89913-326-9 .
- with Helmut Maurer, Hansmartin Schwarzmaier: Swabia and Italy in the High Middle Ages (= lectures and research. Vol. 52). Thorbecke, Stuttgart 2001, ISBN 3-7995-6652-X ( digitized version ).
- Heinz Krieg, Alfons Zettler (ed.): In frumento et vino opima. Festschrift for Thomas Zotz on his 60th birthday. Thorbecke, Ostfildern 2004, ISBN 3-7995-7080-2 .
- Andreas Bihrer , Mathias Kälble, Heinz Krieg (eds.): Nobility and royalty in medieval Swabia. Festschrift for Thomas Zotz on the occasion of his 65th birthday (= publications of the Commission for Historical Regional Studies in Baden-Württemberg. Vol. 175). Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 2009, ISBN 978-3-17-020863-6 ( review ).
- Entry by Thomas Zotz. In: Jürgen Petersohn (Ed.): The Constance Working Group for Medieval History. The members and their work. A bio-bibliographical documentation (= publications of the Constance Working Group for Medieval History on the occasion of its fiftieth anniversary 1951–2001. Vol. 2). Thorbecke, Stuttgart 2001, ISBN 3-7995-6906-5 , pp. 453-459 ( digitized version ).
- Literature by and about Thomas Zotz in the catalog of the German National Library
- Publications by Thomas Zotz in the Opac der Regesta Imperii
- Page from Thomas Zotz at the University of Freiburg i. Br.
- ↑ Thomas Zotz: Dux de Zaringen - dux Zaringiae. On the contemporary understanding of a new duchy in the 12th century. In: Zeitschrift für die Geschichte des Oberrheins 139, 1991, pp. 1-44; Ders .: St. Peter among the Zähringers and among the Counts of Freiburg. House monastery function and bailiff question. In: Hans-Otto Mühleisen, Hugo Ott and Thomas Zotz (eds.): The monastery of St. Peter on the Black Forest. Contributions to its history from its founding in the 11th century to the early modern period. Waldkirch 2001, pp. 51-78; Ders .: Conflict - Compensation - Cooperation. Zähringer and Staufer in the region and empire. In: Zeitschrift für die Geschichte des Oberrheins 160 (2012), pp. 105–129; Ders .: Zähringer and Staufer. Political spaces on the Upper Rhine, in: Sebastian Brather and Jürgen Dendorfer (eds.), Borders, Spaces, Identities. The Upper Rhine and its neighboring regions from antiquity to the high Middle Ages. Ostfildern 2017, pp. 435–451.
- ↑ Thomas Zotz: Zähringer . In: Lexicon of the Middle Ages (LexMA). Volume 9, LexMA-Verlag, Munich 1998, ISBN 3-89659-909-7 , Sp. 464-467.
- ↑ Thomas Zotz: The Zähringer. Dynasty and rule. Stuttgart 2018. See the reviews by Jürgen Treffeisen in: Zeitschrift für die Geschichte des Oberrheins 166 (2018), pp. 503–505 ( online ); Robert Gramsch standing festival in: H-Soz-Kult , August 21, 2019 ( online ); Frederieke M. Schnack in: Hessisches Jahrbuch für Landesgeschichte 69 (2019), pp. 331–332 ( online ); Christof Paulus in: Historische Zeitschrift 309 (2019), pp. 731–732; Hans Harter in: Journal for Württemberg State History 78 (2019) pp. 415–418 ( online ).
- ^ Susanne Grimm: Stetten at the cold market. Board criticized: The club misses the young generation completely. In: Schwarzwälder Bote from November 14, 2014.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Zotz, Thomas Lothar; Zotz, Thomas L.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 5, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Prague|