Pieter Hubert Ries (born April 1, 1802 in Bonn , † September 14, 1886 in Berlin ) was a German violinist and composer . He was the brother of Ferdinand Ries .
Hubert Ries was the youngest son of the violinist and music director of the Electorate of Cologne, Franz Anton Ries . He received his training from his father and later in Kassel from Louis Spohr and Moritz Hauptmann . Here he had lessons with Ferdinand David . In 1824 he was employed as an orchestra conductor at the Königsstädtisches Theater in Berlin and one year later he joined the royal chapel there.
After he had won the special favor of the Berlin public through the quartet evenings he had organized since 1833, he was appointed royal concertmaster in 1836 and a member of the Academy of Arts in 1839 . During this time he developed an extremely fruitful teaching activity, which he continued even after his retirement in the 1870s.
Hubert Ries died on September 14, 1886 at the age of 84 in Berlin and was buried in the Luisenstadt cemetery . The tomb has not been preserved.
- Louis Ries (born January 30, 1830 in Berlin), violinist ,
- Adolf Ries (born December 20, 1837 in Berlin), pianist in London ,
- Franz Ries (born April 7, 1846 in Berlin, † June 20, 1932 in Naumburg), violinist, composer, music dealer and publisher .
Ries has also achieved significant achievements in the educational field; his violin school for the first lesson (also published in English translation), his violin studies of moderate difficulty and the twelve violin studies in the form of concert pieces are works of great and lasting value.
- Ries 2) Hubert . In: Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon . 6th edition. Volume 16, Bibliographisches Institut, Leipzig / Vienna 1908, p. 923 ..
- Robert and Clara Schumann's correspondence with correspondents in Berlin 1832 to 1883 , ed. by Klaus Martin Kopitz , Eva Katharina Klein and Thomas Synofzik (= Schumann-Briefedition , Series II, Volume 17), Cologne: Dohr 2015, pp. 445-550, ISBN 978-3-86846-028-5 .
- ^ Hans-Jürgen Mende: Lexicon of Berlin tombs . Haude & Spener, Berlin 2006. p. 82.
- Literature by and about Hubert Ries in the catalog of the German National Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German violinist and composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 1, 1802|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bonn|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 14, 1886|
|Place of death||Berlin|