Ignaz Schuppanzigh was the son of a teacher who taught Italian at the Theresianum . As the leader of Prince Karl Lichnowsky's string quartet , he came into contact with Ludwig van Beethoven , whom he later taught violin and with whom he remained lifelong friends. He also made great contributions to the implementation of Beethoven's works in Vienna.
From 1795, Schuppanzigh conducted the famous Augarten concerts .
In 1804 he founded the famous Schuppanzigh Quartet , which in the course of time u. a. Joseph Mayseder , Franz Weiss, Peter Hänsel , Anton Kraft , Emanuel Aloys Förster , cellist Joseph Linke from 1808 and Karl Holz as second violinist from 1823 . The ensemble soon gained the reputation of the best European string quartet and had a great influence on the composers of the time. It is considered the first professional string quartet . From 1808 to 1816 it was in the service of Prince Andreas Rasumofsky . Many of Beethoven's quartets , especially the last technically difficult ones, were premiered by Schuppanzigh and his quartet.
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Schuppanzigh, Ignaz . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 32nd part. Kaiserlich-Königliche Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, Vienna 1876, pp. 215–218 ( digitized version ).
- Wilhelm Joseph von Wasielewski : Schuppanzigh, Ignaz . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 33, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1891, p. 77 f.
- Clemens Hellsberg , Ignaz Schuppanzigh. Live and act. Vienna 1979 (Vienna, Univ., Dissertation February 5, 1980).
- Paul Griffiths, The String Quartet. A history. Thames & Hudson, London 1985, ISBN 0-500-27383-9 .
- Robert Winter, Robert Martin (Eds.), The Beethoven Quartet Companion. University of California Press, Berkeley CA et al. 1994, ISBN 0-520-08211-7 .
- U. Harten: Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 11, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1999, ISBN 3-7001-2803-7 , p. 373 f. (Direct links on , ). In:
- John M. Gingerich, Ignaz Schuppanzigh and Beethoven's Late Quartets. In: The Musical Quarterly. Vol. 93, 2010, , pp. 450-513.
- Klaus Martin Kopitz , The early Viennese performances of Beethoven's chamber music in contemporary documents (1797–1828) , in: Beethovens chamber music , ed. by Friedrich Geiger and Martina Sichardt (= Das Beethoven-Handbuch , edited by Albrecht Riethmüller , Volume 3), Laaber 2014, pp. 165–211
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schuppanzigh, Ignaz Anton (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian violinist and conductor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 20, 1776|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 2, 1830|
|Place of death||Vienna|