Johann Josef Anton Huber
Johann Joseph Anton Huber (* 22. June 1737 in Augsburg ; † 26. October 1815 ) was a fresco painter of the late Baroque and later director of the Catholic kingdom Municipal Art Academy Augsburg, now a part of the University of Augsburg .
Huber was born as the son of the wine owner and tenant of the 3 Kronen inn in Augsburg. The tavern was decorated with frescoes by Johann Evangelist Holzer . At the age of 19 in 1756, the student of Johann Georg Bergmüller married and in the same year received the master craftsman's license from the Augsburg craft guild. For the year 1760, one of the first works is the painting Mantle donation of Saint Martin in Döpshofen , part of the municipality of Gessertshausen in the Augsburg district. After the early death of the artist Joseph Mages in 1768, Huber took over the painting of the Mariae Himmelfahrt abbey church in Oberschönenfeld in the Augsburg district .
Director of the Imperial City Art Academy
After the departure of the Catholic director of the Imperial City of Augsburg Art Academy Matthäus Günther in 1784, Huber was appointed as his successor. From this year the Credo cycle was created , a cycle of frescoes in the two side aisles of the St. Georg monastery church in Ochsenhausen , and the ceiling paintings in the library, armarium and chapter house of Ochsenhausen monastery . This commissioned work was completed in 1787. In the frescoes in St. George, the individual figures and simplifications of the compositions show that he was approaching the classicist style , although he preferred the Rococo style until his last years.
Fresco and architectural paintings in southern Germany:
- Nave of the Kobel Church in Augsburg
- Garden manor in Augsburg Schießgrabenstrasse
- St. Michael Bad Wörishofen (Stockheim)
- St. Remigius, Bergheim
- St. Nicholas of Tolentino , Schlipsheim
- Assumption of Mary, Täfertingen
- St. Cyriakus , Wiesensteig , ceiling painting
- Ceiling fresco in the entrance hall of the Augsburger Stadtmetzg (1783; destroyed 1937)
- Ceiling painting of the Church of St. Peter and Paul in Augsburg-Oberhausen (1797, destroyed 1944)
- Altarpiece in the old Brunnhaus chapel in Bad Reichenhall , destroyed in the town fire in 1834
- Norbert Lieb: Huber, Johann Joseph Anton. In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 9, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1972, ISBN 3-428-00190-7 , p. 695 ( digitized version ).
- Bernd Roeck: History of Augsburg. Beck, Munich 2005, ISBN 3-406-53197-0
- Peter Stoll: On the contribution of Joseph Mages and Johann Joseph Anton Huber to the picturesque decor of the Cistercian convent church Oberschönenfeld , University Library, Augsburg 2009 ( full text )
|SURNAME||Huber, Johann Josef Anton|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Huber, Johann Joseph Anton|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German baroque painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 22, 1737|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||augsburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 26, 1815|
|Place of death||augsburg|