Johann Jungwirth (engineer)
Jungwirth studied electrical engineering from 1994 to 1997 at the Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University (then a vocational academy) in Stuttgart with a Dipl.-Ing. (BA) and later participated in the International Motor Vehicle Program of the Wharton School of Business and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, as well as a program at the IMD Business School in Lausanne.
Since 1994 he has been employed by Mercedes-Benz and Daimler , where he was President and CEO of Research and Development for North America from 2009 (Mercedes Benz Research & Development North America) and headed the development center in Sunnyvale . In addition, from 2008 he was Vice President for Research, Technology and Product Development in charge of the Connected Car, Telematics and User Interaction division of the company. He was instrumental in driving the connected car project at Mercedes. In 2014 he officially became Director of Mac Computer Development (Director of Mac Systems Engineering) and the Special Projects Group at Apple in Cupertino , which probably primarily included Apple's auto projects. His poaching from Mercedes to Apple had been seen as a clear indication that Apple was working on a secret project of an autonomously controlled electric car (iCar, Titan). After only a year he was lured away by VW after Apple lured him away from Mercedes. At VW, he is to lead the digitization strategy and digital transformation , for which a new department was founded with his appointment in November 2015. As Chief Digital Officer - a new management position created at Volkswagen in 2015 - he reports directly to the CEO.
His appointment came at the height of the VW emissions scandal . At VW, Jungwirth is responsible for a central future strategy of the group for digital transformation, which includes the development of self-driving vehicles. According to Management Board Matthias Müller, when the group restructuring was announced in June 2016, the VW Group has a lot of catching up to do in the field of digitally networked cars, not only with self-driving cars, but also with the collection of automobile-related big data for the development and provision of new ones Services. Jungwirth introduces, for example, mobility-on-demand, robotaxis and personal customer IDs and profiles at the group or the brands based on a digital ecosystem or a digital platform. He brings a new tone to the group from his old place of work in Silicon Valley, avoids suits and lets himself be addressed by his nickname JJ and per Du. In 2018, he will be responsible for implementing Mobility-as-a-Service with self-driving fleet vehicles such as Sedric and will return to the USA for this. According to information from WELT AM SONNTAG , Jungwirth will leave VW entirely.
He is married and has three children.
- Interview with Jungwirth on the VW website
- Nils Kreimeier, This man should save VW, Capital, March 9, 2017 (Capital 1/2017)
- Mercedes-Benz: CEO Bio Johann Jungwirth ( Memento from January 19, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- Frank Mertens: Daimler is expanding the use of the Internet in the car: “I'm inside. That's easy » , autogazette.de, October 27, 2011
- Damon Lavrinc: Mercedes Is Testing Google Glass integration, and It Actually Works , Wired , August 15, 2013
- Ex chief developer of Mercedes: Johann Jungwirth changes to VW , Spiegel Online , November 10, 2015
- Christian Schnell, Martin Murphy: Digital boss Johann Jungwirth. Volkswagen's new pop star. , Handelsblatt, March 2, 2016, limited preview
- Don Dahlmann, VW grabs Apple's top manager , Gründerszene, November 11, 2015
- Stephan Dörner: Battle for the dashboard . In: THE WORLD . June 11, 2015 ( welt.de [accessed June 15, 2018]).
- Johann Jungwirth: Apple experts should make Volkswagen digital , Handelsblatt , November 10, 2015
- Michael Reidel: Apple manager Johann Jungwirth comes as head of digitization strategy , Horizont , November 10, 2015
- Munich: How Volkswagen digital strategist Johann Jungwirth wants to turn the car company inside out . In: donaukurier.de . ( donaukurier.de [accessed on January 21, 2018]).
- VW puts Johann Jungwirth cold - is digitization now stalling? In: LinkedIn Article . June 14, 2018 ( linkedin.com [accessed June 15, 2018]).
- Volkswagen's digital hope leaves the group
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German engineer and manager|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 3rd 1973|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Miercurea Sibiului , Romania|