Josef Grendel (born January 6, 1878 in Mellen , Balve , Westphalia ( Archdiocese of Paderborn ); † February 10, 1951 in Rome , Italy) was a religious priest , Catholic theologian , Steyler missionary and 4th General Superior of the Society of the Divine Word ( Societas Verbi Divini ).
Origin and career
At the age of 11 Josef Grendel came to the Missionshaus St. Michael , in Steyl , Venlo, to do his high school studies here. Five years later he went to the higher philosophical and theological studies in the mission seminary St. Gabriel near Vienna. In 1899 Arnold Janssen sent him to Rome, where he obtained a theological doctorate from the Dominicans at the Angelicum. In 1901 the 23-year-old returned to St. Gabriel, where Fr. Grendel lectured, first philosophy, then 22 years of dogmatics, while also giving homiletics lectures for a long time. He was a clear-thinking and convincing teacher and a gifted administrator. In 1917 Fr Grendel became rector of the St. Gabriel Mission House. In 1923 Father General SVD Wilhelm Gier appointed him superior in the large West German Province, where he built a second German scholasticate in St. Augustin. In 1927 he followed the appointment to the general management under the general superior P. Wilhelm Gier SVD. When she moved to Rome at the end of 1928, he became the first rector and prefect of the new international college.
General Superior SVD (1932–1947)
On September 28, 1932 the General Chapter elected SVD Fr. Josef Grendel at the age of 54 to the 4th General Superior of the Society of the Divine Word. During his tenure, he took over the Catholic FU Jen University in Beijing in 1933. As Superior General SVD, Fr. Grendel became Grand Chancellor of Fu Jen in 1933. Grendel appointed the American PX Murphy as the first Steyler Rector of Fu Jen, who, however, died the following year. Thereupon Grendel appointed the young German ethnologist P. Rudolf Rahmann SVD as rector of Fu Jen. The Second World War prevented the regular holding of a general chapter. So P. Grendel remained in office until the election of his successor P. Alois Große Kappenberg on September 28, 1947. He died in Rome on February 10, 1951 and was buried in the cemetery of the mother house of the Society of the Divine Word in Steyl, Venlo.
- Praelectiones dogmaticae, quas in auditorum suorum usum exaravit Iosefus Grendel SVD , Tomus I: De Deo uno et trino, Steyl, Domus Missionarum 1912. XV + 781 pp.
- The central position of the concept of mission in God's eternal plan of salvation , in Zeitschrift für Missionswissenschaft (ZM) 1 (1911) 281-293; ibid. in: Correspondence for the confreres of the Society of the Divine Word , First Volume Manuscript, St. Gabriel 1912 (October 1911), pp. 1-13,
- Conception of the Orient and Occident , in: Jahrbuch St. Gabriel 1 (1922) 119–161.
- The divine right of the missionary thought, in: Zeitschrift für Missionswissenschaft 14 (1924) 218–226.
- Salvation and Mission , in: Zeitschrift für Missionswissenschaft, 17 (1927) 81–93.
- Intelectueelen en Missie , in: Kerk en Missie 9 (Brussel 1929) 119–126.
- Joseph Sandhaas SVD: Catholic Beijing. A Guide to modern and historic places of interest to Catholics , The Catholic University Press: Peiping, China 1937, 42 pp.
- Anton Freitag: Three lustful activities of the SVD at the "Fu Jen" - Beijing (1933–1948) , in: A. Freitag, Seed of Faith in Blood and Tears , Steyler Missionsbuchhandlung: Kaldenkirchen, Rhld 1948, pp. 104–118.
- Fritz Bornemann SVD: Father Arnold Janssen and his successors in office , in: Verbum SVD 1 (1959), pp. 322-335.
- F. Bornemann: Arnold Janssen and his successors in office . In: Steyler Mission Chronicle 1959, pp. 157–168.
- P. Jos. Grendel (1932–1957) , in: Fritz Bornemann: History of our Society , Analecta SVD - 54/2, Romae 1981, pp. 28–29.
- Karl Josef Rivinius: The Catholic Fu-Jen University in Beijing and its takeover by the “Society of the Divine Word” in 1933 , in: Verbum SVD 21 (1980), pp. 206–228.
- Alfons Jochum: Father Josef Grendel. New means, new ways , in: Hans Brunner, 100 years Missionshaus St. Gabriel, Verlag St. Gabriel , Mödling 1989, 167 p. (Here: p. 49).
- Josef Alt SVD: The Roman Settlement of the Steyler Missionaries (1888-2003) , Analecta SVD 86, Romae 2004, 401 pp.
- Josef Alt SVD: The History of the Foundation of Divine Word Missionaries in Rome (1888-2003) , Analecta SVD 87, Cura Generalizia SVD: Rome (Italy) 2004, 401 pp.
- Karl J. Rivinius: The Catholic Fu-Jen University in Beijing in the focus of German cultural policy , in: China heute 31 (2012), pp. 175–190.
- Paul B. Steffen : RAHMANN, Rudolf SVD (1902–1985). Religious priest u. Ethnologist , Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon, Vol. XXXIV (2013) Sp. 1183–1192. ISBN 978-3-88309-766-4 .
- Karl Josef Rivinius: The project of a Catholic encyclopedia for China . (Studia Instituti Missiologici SVD - 99), Nettetal 2013, 478 pages, ISBN 978-3-8050-0609-5 .
- Portrait at steyler.eu
- Peter Barry, MM: Fujen Catholic University Celebrates 80 Years of Its Foundation 
- Society of the Divine Word (SVD) 
- On the History of the Fu Jen University  (PDF; 7.63 MB)
- Josef Alt SVD: The Roman Settlement of the Steyler Missionaries (1888–2003) , Analecta SVD 86, Romae 2004, 401 pp.
- P. Jos. Grendel (1932–1947) , in: Fritz Bornemann (ed.): History of our Society , Analecta SVD - 54/2, Romae 1981, 28–29.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German theologian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 6, 1878|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Mellen , Balve , Westphalia ( Archdiocese of Paderborn )|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 10, 1951|
|Place of death||Rome , Italy|