Justus Cobet (born May 25, 1939 in Frankfurt am Main ) is a German ancient historian .
The son of a bookseller and a librarian attended grammar school in his hometown of Frankfurt am Main and then studied classical philology and history at the universities in Tübingen , Frankfurt am Main and Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania . Cobet received his doctorate in 1968 in Frankfurt am Main with Harald Patzer on the subject of Herodotus excursions and the question of the unity of his work . He then worked as a research assistant from 1969 and from 1970 to 1979 research assistant at the Seminar for Ancient History in Frankfurt with Jochen Bleicken and Eberhard Ruschenbusch . In 1970/1971 Cobet received a travel grant from the German Archaeological Institute .
From 1979 until his retirement in 2004, Justus Cobet was Professor of Ancient History and History Didactics at the University of Essen . Since his retirement he has continued to work there as a lecturer.
The main research areas of Cobet's scientific work are ancient historiography and its history, the history of archaic Greece , the connections and intersections between ancient history and classical archeology , the history of science, specialist history, history of impact, history of reception, theory and didactics of ancient history, the history of Miletus as well ancient Troy , its exploration and its discoverer Heinrich Schliemann .
- Herodotus excursions and the question of the unity of his work. (= Historia . Individual writing 17). Dissertation . Steiner, Wiesbaden 1971.
- Editor: Dialogos. For Harald Patzer on the 65th birthday of his friends and students. Steiner, Wiesbaden 1975, ISBN 3-515-02353-4 .
- Editor with William M. Calder III : Heinrich Schliemann after a hundred years. Klostermann, Frankfurt am Main 1990, ISBN 3-465-02266-1 .
- Editor: Schliemann's Troia. Pomp, Essen 1991, ISBN 3-89355-061-5 .
- Editor with Barbara Patzek : Archeology and Historical Memory. After 100 years of Heinrich Schliemann. Essen 1992, ISBN 3-88474-005-9 .
- Heinrich Schliemann. Archaeologist and adventurer. (= CH Beck knowledge ). CH Beck, Munich 1997, ISBN 3-406-41057-X .
- Editor with Dieter Lau and Carl Friedrich Gethmann: Europe. The presence of the ancient tradition. (= Essen contributions to cultural history. Volume 2). Aachen 2000, ISBN 3-8265-8362-0 .
- Literature by and about Justus Cobet in the catalog of the German National Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 25, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Frankfurt am Main|