Kai Arzheimer (* 1969 ) is a German political scientist and university professor at the University of Mainz .
Arzheimer studied political science, German literature and philosophy at the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz from 1990 to 1995 and graduated with the state examination. He then worked as a research assistant at the Institute for Political Science there. In 2001/02 he started with Jürgen W. Falter in Faculty 12 (Social Sciences) with the political science dissertation Political disaffection. Meaning, use and empirical relevance of a political science term for Dr. phil. for which he received a dissertation award.
From 2002 to 2006 he completed his habilitation with the thesis The voters of the extreme right 1980-2002 ; In 2007 he was awarded the venia legendi for political science. From 2006 to 2009 he was a lecturer in German and West European Politics and DAAD lecturer at the Department of Government at the University of Essex ; since then he has been a visiting fellow. Since 2009 he has been a professor for political science at the University of Mainz. He turned down a call to the Philipps University of Marburg .
Arzheimer's research is primarily in the field of political culture , German parties , right-wing extremism, and voter behavior in Germany and disaffection with politics .
He is a member of the American Political Science Association , the German Society for Election Research , the German Association for Political Science (from 2003 to 2006 co-founder and co-spokesman of the ad hoc group “Political Extremism” and from 2005 to 2011 co-spokesman of the "Working Group Elections and Political Settings"), the International Association for the Study of German Politics and the Political Studies Association as well as the ECPR Standing Group on Extremism & Democracy and Extreme Right Electorates and Party Success.
Arzheimer, who published numerous articles in specialist journals, anthologies and handbooks, also wrote for the blog of the weekly newspaper Die Zeit for the 2009 election year .
- Disenchantment with politics: meaning, use and empirical relevance of a political science term . Westdeutscher Verlag, Wiesbaden 2002. ISBN 3-531-13797-2 .
- The voters of the extreme right 1980-2002 . Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften, Wiesbaden 2008, ISBN 978-3-531-16065-8 .
- with Jocelyn Evans (Ed.): Electoral Behavior (= SAGE Library of Political Science ). 4 volumes, SAGE Publications, London a. a. 2008, ISBN 978-1-4129-4752-7 .
- Volume 1: Socio-Political Models
- Volume 2: Cognition and Voter Calculus
- Volume 3: Forecasting and Electoral Context
- Volume 4: Debates and Methodology
- with Thorsten Faas , Sigrid Roßteutscher : Information - Perception - Emotion. Political psychology in election and attitude research (= series of publications of the working group "Elections and political attitudes" of the German Association for Political Sciences (DVPW) ). VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften, Wiesbaden 2010, ISBN 978-3-531-17384-9 .
- with Thorsten Faas, Sigrid Roßteutscher, Bernhard Weßels (eds.): Coalitions, candidates, communication. Analyzes of the 2009 Bundestag election (= publication of the "Elections and Political Attitudes" working group of the German Association for Political Science (DVPW) ). Springer VS, Wiesbaden 2013, ISBN 978-3-531-18047-2 .
- with Thorsten Faas, Sigrid Roßteutscher (eds.): Structural equation models . An application-oriented introduction (= methods of political science ). Springer Fachmedien, Wiesbaden 2015, ISBN 978-3-658-09608-3 .
- Literature by and about Kai Arzheimer in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography and reviews of works by Kai Arzheimer at perlentaucher.de
- Kai Arzheimer at the University of Mainz
- www.kai-arzheimer.com - Official homepage
- Kai Arzheimer at blog.zeit.de
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German political scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1969|