Karl Hartwig von Zieten
Karl Hartwig Friedrich Daniel von Zieten (born February 2, 1785 in Neubrandenburg , † June 20, 1846 in Stuttgart ) was a Württemberg major , paleontologist and author. In older literature it is named after the name of the taxa he describes as “ Ziet. “Abbreviated.
Karl Hartwig von Zieten was the son of Georg Daniel Christoph von Zieten and his wife Christine Johanna Beate, née von Niesemeuschel. He was married to Charlotte Friederike Amalie Treffz (born September 27, 1788, † February 15, 1850). The couple had the following children:
- Friedrich Ludwig Karl Wilhelm (born October 6, 1812; † September 12, 1813)
- Hugo Ludwig Wilhelm Daniel (February 16, 1814 - February 15, 1858)
- Charlotte Josephine (* October 20, 1815; † March 14, 1867) ∞ Baron Karl von Kutzleben (* September 6, 1805; † November 29, 1892)
Zieten was in the Prussian Army from 1801 to 1807 and entered service in Württemberg in 1808 . He was promoted to captain in 1810 and major in 1828. When he died in 1846, he was a major in the Honorary Invalid Corps in Stuttgart.
In his private life, Zieten was an important paleontologist and draftsman. His main work is Die Versteinerungen Württembergs , which appeared in several volumes from 1830 to 1838 . The material for this work comes in part from the collection of the senior medical officer Friedrich von Hartmann (1767–1851) from Göppingen .
- The fossils of Württemberg or true-to-life images of those in the most complete collections, namely those in the cabinet of the Oberamts-doctor Dr. Hartmann located petrefacts, with details of the mountain formations in which they occur and the locations. Publishing house & lithography of the expedition of the work of our time, i-viii + 1-16, plates 1-12 (1830); 17-32, Pl. 13-24 (1831); 33-64, plates 25-48 (1832); 65-102, plates 49-72 (1833), Schweizerbart, Stuttgart 1830-1833
- Geognostic directory of all petrefacts in Württemberg with citates of their images and locations. Correspondence sheet of the agr. Association, Volume I, Issue 1, 1839.
- Karl Alfred von Zittel: Zieten, Karl Hartwig Friedrich Daniel von . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 45, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1900, p. 225.
- Anonymous: Nekrolog Major von Zieten's. In: Annual books of the Association for Patriotic Natural History in Württemberg, 3rd year, published by Ebner & Seubert, Stuttgart 1847, pp. 249-252 ( digitized version )
- Yearbook of the German nobility . Volume 3, 1899, pp.999f.
- Description of The Petrifications of Württemberg. In: New Yearbook for Mineralogy, Geology and Paleontology. P. 111. ( digitized version )
- Family tree of Zieten ( Memento from December 6, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
|SURNAME||Zieten, Karl Hartwig from|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Zieten, Karl Hartwig Friedrich Daniel von (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Württemberg major, palaeontologist and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 2, 1785|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Neubrandenburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 20, 1846|
|Place of death||Stuttgart|