Elector Joachim Friedrich Gymnasium Wolmirstedt
|Elector Joachim Friedrich High School|
|type of school||high school|
Swimming pool street 1
|Coordinates||52 ° 14 '54 " N , 11 ° 36' 43" E|
|student||942 (school year 2017/2018)|
|Teachers||77 (school year 2017/2018)|
The Kurfürst-Joachim-Friedrich-Gymnasium ( KJFG ) in Wolmirstedt is a new high school built in 1995 with a usable area of 5822 m² and an adjoining three - field sports hall on the outskirts of Wolmirstedt. It replaces the old Wolmirstedt high school and was built for the equivalent of around 15 million euros . With 942 students and 77 teachers (2017/2018 school year), the grammar school is one of the largest schools in Saxony-Anhalt . It was named after the Brandenburg Elector Joachim Friedrich , who was administrator of the castle in Wolmirstedt in the 16th century.
The school building consists of two parts facing south and west. Both parts are connected to each other via a common entrance area, to which the auditorium and cafeteria as well as the gym are connected.
Shortly after it opened, the capacity of the newly built school was no longer sufficient, as after 1990 many young families with school children from the nearby state capital of Magdeburg moved into the catchment area of the Wolmirstedter Gymnasium. A branch at the “Diesterweg” school in Wolmirstedt had to be moved into, in which initially only the 7th grade students and, after the elimination of the special needs level, also grades 5 and 6. In 2005 the number of students reached its maximum with more than 1200 students and 101 teachers.
Due to the falling birth rate after the " fall of the wall " in 1990, the age group of the lower classes and thus also the total number of students after 2005 fell again significantly. While the 7th grade consisted of eight classes with around 30 students each around the year 2000, there are currently only four fifth grades.
After returning to the Abitur with the 12th grade, which was completed by a double Abitur in the 2006/2007 school year, another year was dropped.
- The school newspaper "Reality" of the grammar school has already been awarded the Golden Pen of the State of Saxony-Anhalt twice as the best school newspaper. In 2004 the editorial team received first prize in the national competition for school newspapers from the then Federal President Johannes Rau .
- The school band Kieps , which has since disbanded, performed several times abroad, for example in the USA. Even better known than Kieps , however, is the band Tokio Hotel , which is not a school band of the KJFG . Bill and Tom Kaulitz, members of Tokio Hotel, only went to school from 7th to 10th grade at the KJFG .
- Since July 15, 2006, the school has officially been named "School without Racism, School with Courage". The godfather of planned actions under this motto was the handball player Joël Abati , who was replaced by his teammate Fabian van Olphen in November 2007 , as Joël Abati went to France.
- The KJFG has been a smoke-free school since the 2006/2007 school year . In previous years, smoking options were severely restricted, but smoking has been completely banned since then.
- Since January 2018, the school has had its own Wi-Fi that can be used by teachers and students
- The high school has had its own website since January 2016
Special learning opportunities
- Bilingual classes in geography and social studies
- Completion of the Cambridge Certificate in English
- Bill and Tom Kaulitz, members of the Tokio Hotel band
- Eva painter , playwright and actress
- Martin Stichnoth , District Administrator of the Börde District
- Philip Wiegratz , actor
Achievements and Awards
- First prize for school newspaper "Reality" in the national competition for school newspapers (2004)
- Participation in the national finals of youth trained for the Olympics in table tennis
- Winning the "Golden Pen" of the state of Saxony-Anhalt for the best school newspaper (2002, 2003)
- Most athletic school in the Ohrekreis (2003, 2004)
- School without racism - school with courage