Tokio Hotel at the Comet 2010 awards ceremony
|Genre (s)||Pop-Rock , Rock , Synthpop (since 2014)|
Tokio Hotel is a German band from the Magdeburg area . With four number one singles each in Germany and Austria and over seven million records sold (as of 2014), it is one of the most commercially successful bands in the German-speaking region .
The music label Universal Music marketed the band from 2007 to 2016 in large parts of Europe, but also in North and South America. Then the band was under contract with Starwatch Entertainment . She has been selling her music on the Believe Digital label since 2019 . In early October 2009, the band's third studio album Humanoid was released for the first time worldwide at the same time.
The identical twins Bill and Tom Kaulitz make music together since childhood. They were supported musically by their stepfather, who is himself an active musician in Magdeburg. When they performed in their hometown Magdeburg in 2001 under their duet name Black Questionmark , they met Gustav Schäfer (born September 8, 1988 in Magdeburg ) and Georg Listing (born March 31, 1987 in Halle ), with whom they subsequently performed regularly in the Magdeburg area. Due to a positive newspaper review of Tom's "devilish guitar sound", the quartet was renamed Devilish .
Bill Kaulitz took part in the Kinder- Star-Search at the age of 13 . After another local performance, the band was discovered in 2003 by music producer Peter Hoffmann in the Gröninger Bad in the Salbke district of Magdeburg . Sony BMG Music Entertainment took Devilish finally under contract. Hoffmann brought David Jost and Pat Benzner into the team of producers and writers and let the band members take singing and instrumental lessons. Shortly before the release of the first record, however, Sony canceled the contract. In 2005 the Universal Music Group signed the band, which from then on called itself Tokio Hotel .
Debut album Scream - 2005
The video for their debut single Durch den Monsun was broadcast on television from August 2005 and quickly won the band many, mostly young, female fans. The single was released on August 15, 2005 and reached number 1 on the charts in Germany and Austria. The debut album Schrei , released at the end of September 2005, also rose to the top of the charts in both countries. The album has sold over 1.5 million times worldwide.
Second album Zimmer 483 - 2007
The second album Zimmer 483 was released on February 23, 2007, and on January 26, the first single “ Übers Ende der Welt” was released . At your side (I'm here) was the third single. In 2007 there was a major European tour from March to November, the last concert of which took place on November 4th in Essen .
Third album Humanoid - 2009
The German and English versions of the third album Humanoid were released simultaneously worldwide on October 2, 2009. The first single from the album Automatik / Automatic was released a month earlier . The second release, World behind my Wall , was released on March 29, 2010. The album achieved gold status in several countries, including Taiwan. On February 22nd, the Welcome to Humanoid City European tour started through 18 countries. The stage, specially made for this show, was planned by Misty Buckley and her team, who already created the sets for the film The Fifth Element . Bill's stage outfits were designed by Dean & Dan Caten from Dsquared² . The Humanoid City Live DVD and CD were recorded on April 12th at the Mediolanum Forum in Milan and released on July 16, 2010. The music video for Dark Side of the Sun is a live recording, but was not released as a single.
As one of the few German-speaking bands, Tokio Hotel was also internationally successful and was able to perform in many European countries, for example. B. build up a fan base in France as well as in North and South America. In the United States, the album Scream reached number 39 on the official Billboard charts , and in Canada it even reached number 6.
The debut album was released in France in autumn 2006. It reached number 19 in the first week, making Tokio Hotel the first German band to make it into the French Top 20 with a debut album. Due to the monsoons reached number 8 in France. On February 13, 2007, the members of the band in France received the gold record for Schrei .
In 2007 Tokio Hotel reached number 1 in the Israeli airplay charts with their song Monsoon . After around 5,000 Israeli fans petitioned for a performance in their country, the band gave a concert in Tel Aviv on October 6, 2007 . Around 3,000 listeners came.
In 2008 Tokio Hotel contributed By Your Side, a title to the soundtrack of the Hollywood film Prom Night .
At the Milan Fashion Week 2010, Bill Kaulitz walked the catwalk for the fashion label Dsquared 2 .
The intense public awareness and stalking caused the band to withdraw in 2010. The brothers Bill and Tom Kaulitz moved to Los Angeles . According to the company, work on musical material continued, but its publication was open for a long time. From December 2012 Bill and Tom Kaulitz were part of the jury in the tenth season of the casting show Deutschland sucht den Superstar .
Fourth album Kings of Suburbia - 2014
Again and again in 2013 there was speculation about a fourth studio album, as the band announced a new album themselves at the beginning of the year. The album was subsequently postponed without comment until Tokio Hotel finally released their album Kings of Suburbia on October 3, 2014.
After two promotional songs were released on September 12 with Run, Run, Run and on September 19 with Girl Got A Gun , the first single was released as a download on September 26, Love Who Loves You Back . Music videos were shot for all three songs.
The long player was viewed rather critically by experts:
“The sound expresses itself in a pumped-up reminiscence of the fat LA sound of a Billy Idol, the guitars of Bill's brother Tom are mostly overlaid by the electronics, by vaguely contemporary studio tricks and so-called beats, which are rhythmic and harmonic without much resistance Add harmlessness. "Kings of Suburbia" is "the feeling that means everything and nothing", says Bill about the album title. After listening to the album, you don't want to fundamentally contradict it. "
At the start of sales, the album was number 1 in the iTunes charts in 19 countries, including four countries around a month before the album was released. In the Amazon charts it was ranked 114th on October 12, 2014. The album reached number 2 in the German charts.
The last single Feel It All was released in March 2015 .
Fifth album Dream Machine - 2017
As early as September 4, 2015, it became known that the band had signed an international cooperation agreement with Studio 71, the multi-channel network of the ProSiebenSat.1 Group. Since then, the Berlin company has been managing the online video offering with the TokioHotel TV web series.
On January 14, 2016, the band announced at a vernissage in the Berlin Hotel Adlon that they were working on a new album in Berlin, which should be released in 2016. According to statements by Bill Kaulitz, the contract with Universal Music has expired, so the band is producing the new album itself. In December 2016 it was announced that the band had signed a contract with the ProSiebenSat.1 label Starwatch Entertainment . On March 3, 2017, the fifth album was released with the title Dream Machine, which was released under the exclusive license of the major label Sony Music via the sub-label Devilish GbR , which was founded in-house. Marketing of the album began at the end of the year with the release of the singles single Something New and What If . Music videos for the two published songs followed in February 2017. On March 12, 2017, the formation's “Dream Machine Tour” through Europe began in London.
On October 5, 2017, the band documentary Behind the World celebrated its premiere at the Cologne Film Festival. Directed by Oliver Schwabe . On October 20, 2017, the third single from Dream Machine was released with Boy Don't Cry . The fourth and last single, Easy , was released on December 22, 2017 .
Singles - 2019
On February 1, 2019, the band released the single Melancholic Paradise , which was the title track of the 14th season of the talent show Germany's Next Topmodel . The piece differs greatly from their previous releases because the mix of styles of funk, soul and pop best reflects the attitude towards life of Tom and Bill Kaulitz in Los Angeles and California in general, according to the website Hollywoodtramp.de on February 1, 2019 The accompanying tour, which will also take place in Germany in the spring, is expected by critics to bring about a turning point in the previous Tokio Hotel sound. On April 5, the single When It Rains It Pours was released . After the song was already played on the tour, Chateau was released on November 15, 2019, the third single of the still unreleased sixth studio album. All singles were released under the sub-label Devilish GbR under an exclusive license from Believe Digital .
Tokio Hotel is a group that is very polarizing. The band is perceived both as “part of a well thought-out marketing strategy” and as “authentic”. In their music and in their texts, but even more so in their appearance and their videos, the artists used many borrowings from rock music. Her lyrics deal with themes of love, anger and Weltschmerz. Since the album Kings of Suburbia , the music of Tokio Hotel has changed a lot and can now be assigned to synthpop . The rock elements from the early days of the band hardly play a role anymore.
- The last day covert the U2 -Video Where the Streets Have No Name and sticks close to the "original" (which in turn is a remake of the spontaneous Beatles - concert on the roof of their record company Apple in 1969 in London was). The film location for the Tokio Hotel video was the roof of the Kosmos cinema in Berlin.
- Over the end of the world contains significant dramatic and visual aesthetic bonds of Fritz Lang's Metropolis and Apple - commercials in 1984 from 1984, which by the novel 1984 by George Orwell was inspired.
Top ranking, total weeks, awardChart placementsChart placements
(Year, title, music label , placements, weeks, awards, notes)
Island Records ( Universal )
First published: September 19, 2005
Sales: + 1,500,000
Island Records (Universal)
DE1 (36 weeks)
First published: February 23, 2007
Sales: + 362,700
DE1 (17 weeks)
AT8 (5 weeks)
CH10 (7 weeks)
US35 (3 weeks)
First published: October 2, 2009
Kings of Suburbia
Island Records / Polydor (Universal)
DE2 (3 weeks)
AT8 (2 weeks)
CH11 (3 weeks)
First published: October 3, 2014
Starwatch ( Sony )
DE5 (3 weeks)
AT10 (2 weeks)
CH15 (1 week)
First published: March 3, 2017
|One live crown||Best newcomer||Germany|
|World Music Award||Best Selling German Act||International
awarded in London
|Steiger Award||Best newcomer||Germany|
|Comet||Best Foreign Band
Best Foreign Newcomer
|MTV Award||Best rock band||France|
|Bravo Otto Gold||Best rock band||Germany|
|Golden tuning fork||most successful group Pop
|One live crown||Best live act||Germany|
|Golden penguin||Best newcomer
|Radio Rainbow Award||Pop National||Germany|
|Popcorn Awards||Best Newcomer International||Hungary|
|Bravo Otto||Best newcomer
Best international band
|Bavarian music lion||Best pop band||Germany|
|European Border Breakers Award||Best Selling German Act - Schrei Album||Europe
awarded in Cannes
|Bear of Berlin||skirt||Germany|
|echo||Best Video - The Last Day||Germany|
|Bravo Otto Gold||Best rock band||Germany|
Best Video - The Last Day
|Golden tuning fork||Rock International group||Germany|
|MTV Europe Music Awards||Inter Act||Europe
awarded in Munich
|Kids' Choice Awards||Best band||Europe
awarded in Milan
|Golden penguin||Single Of The Year - Through The Monsoon||Austria|
|BZ culture award||skirt||Germany|
|TMF Awards||Best New Artist
Best album - Scream
Best Pop International
Best Video - Monsoon
|NRJ Music Awards||Best International Band||France|
|Golden camera||Best national music||Germany|
|echo||Best video - don't jump||Germany|
|Emma||Best International Artist||Finland|
|Bravo Otto silver||Best rock band||Germany|
Best video - by your side
Best live act
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best New Artist||United States|
|MTV Latin Music Awards||Best song - Monsoon
Best international newcomer
Best ringtone - Monsoon
Best fan club
awarded in Mexico
|MTV Europe Music Awards||Headliners||Europe
awarded in Liverpool
|Golden penguin||Band of the year||Austria|
|Rockbjörnen Awards||Best international band||Sweden|
|TRL Awards||Best band
Best Number 1 Song Of The Year - Monsoon
|TMF Awards||Best Male International - Bill Kaulitz
Best Video International - Don't Jump
|Comet||Best online star||Germany|
|Bravo Otto Gold||Super band||Germany|
|TRL Awards||Artist Of The Year||Italy|
|MTV Europe Music Awards||Best band||Europe
awarded in Berlin
|Bavarian music lion||Export Hit Of Germany||Germany|
|Audi Generation Award||International||Germany|
|Telehit Awards||Best International Rock Band||Mexico|
|NRJ Music Awards||Band Of The Year||France|
|Comet||Best live act||Germany|
|MTV Europe Music Awards||Best World Stage Performance||Europe
awarded in Madrid
|Golden penguin||Band Of The Year
Album Of The Year
|Emma||Best International Artist||Finland|
|Radio Rainbow Awards||Band International||Germany|
|Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Music Star||International|
|Rockbjörnen Awards||Concert Of The Year
Foreign Song Of The Year
|Bravo Otto silver||Super band||Germany|
|2011||MTV O Music Awards||Best Army Fan||International|
|2011||MTV Video Music Aid Japan||Best rock video||Japan|
|2011||MTV O Music Awards
(was awarded twice in 2011)
|Best Army Fan||International|
|2012||Bravo Otto bronze||Super band||Germany|
|2012||MTV O Music Awards||Best Army Fan||International|
|2013||MTV O Music Awards||Best Army Fan||International|
|2013||MTV Europe Music Awards||Biggest fans - aliens||Europe|
|2015||MTV Italy||Best Artist From The World||Italy|
- The lyrics and composition of most of the songs on the first album Schrei were created with the collaboration of the producer team Dave Roth, Benzner and David Jost. Only Infinity was composed entirely by the band members themselves.
- The RTL Friday Night News featured a comedy parody called Tokyo Motel . On TV total , the song Durch den Monsun was parodied by Stefan Raab . The Kaulitz twins were parodied in the Dennis & Jesko show .
- In the ProSieben telecast the 100 most annoying German in 2006 , Bill Kaulitz was elected on 27 December 2006 the no. 1
- In April 2009 it became known that both the members of the band and their families were persecuted and threatened by a group of four French young girls who are masked and perform under the name "Les Afghanes on Tour" ("The Afghan women on tour") . The news came to the public after Tom Kaulitz allegedly hit one of the young girls at a Hamburg gas station on the night of April 16, 2009 after she had put out a cigarette on his Audi R8 . Both the band and the young French woman filed complaints.
- In 2009 Tom and Bill Kaulitz were awarded the "Distance Learning Youth Prize 2009" for their exemplary school performance. In addition to their music careers, the two of them completed their secondary school diploma via correspondence course and passed them with excellent grades. The prize is awarded by the Ministry of Education.
- For the Swedish fashion chain H&M , the four members of Tokio Hotel, along with many other artists such as Katy Perry , Yoko Ono and the burlesque dancer Dita Von Teese, took part in the 2009 “Fashion against Aids” campaign. The proceeds from the campaign will benefit AIDS projects.
- For the animal welfare organization PETA , Bill and Tom Kaulitz could be seen on an advertising poster in chains and smeared with blood. They used it to protest against wild animals in the circus. In March 2012, they also drew attention to the killing of street dogs in Ukraine on the occasion of the 2012 European Football Championship .
- According to an article in the Stuttgarter Zeitung , the band was the cornerstone for the emerging wave of the emo movement in Germany, but according to the taz , the group is unpopular within this scene.
- Christina Deniz: Tokio Hotel: Star portrait . Heel, 2006, ISBN 3-89880-698-7 .
- Michael Fuchs-Gamböck , Thorsten Schatz: Tokio Hotel. As loud as you can. The unbelievable success story of the megastars . Blanvalet, Munich 2006, ISBN 978-3-442-36607-1 .
- Christian Humberg: Star portrait Tokio Hotel: The fans, the tour, the music . Heel, 2007, ISBN 3-89880-813-0 .
- Christian Humberg: Star portrait: Tokio Hotel conquer the world . Heel, 2008, ISBN 3-89880-933-1 .
- Béatrice Nouveau: Tokio Hotel: A tsunami . Hannibal, 2008, ISBN 3-85445-294-2
- Dorotea de Spirito, Barbara Neeb and Katharina Schmidt: Tokio Hotel forever . Cbt, Munich 2009, ISBN 3-570-30596-1 .
- Alina Welsch, Anna Letschert: From fan love to Tokio Hotel: from fans for fans and their band . 2nd Edition. Raimundo Germandi Verlag, 2008, ISBN 3-9812011-0-8 .
- Official website
- Works by and about Tokio Hotel in the catalog of the German National Library
- Tokio Hotel in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- BWW News Desk: Tokio Hotel to Release 'Kings of Suburbia', 10.07; Album Debuts # 1 In Over 20 Countries. broadwayworld.com, October 3, 2014, accessed March 23, 2020 .
- Jeannette Krauth, The Beginning of the Song at tagesspiegel.de, on March 10, 2006
- Tokio Hotel: The new single in advance as a video on stern.de . News from January 22, 2007
- Bill, mon amour . Spiegel Online , April 17, 2007
- Tokio Hotel shoots first in Mexico . naanoo.com; accessed November 2008
- Tokio Hotel wins MTV Latino Awards . Spiegel Online , October 17, 2008
- Tokio Hotel: Israel's youngsters want Bill . laut.de, July 27, 2007
- Generation Tokio Hotel . Jewish General , May 8, 2008
- Germanin Tel-Aviv. The Magdeburg teen band Tokio Hotel inspires Israeli girls to learn German . ( Memento from March 28, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) j-zeit.de, November 2007
- Tokio Hotel and Culcha Candela in the new “DSDS” jury . DWDL.de; Retrieved September 14, 2012
- Tokio Hotel: New Tokio Hotel Album 2013. In: @tokiohotel. January 21, 2013, accessed January 23, 2018 .
- Bill Kaulitz : Kings of Suburbia - out October 3rd! Instagram
- Criticism at rollingstone.de
- Tokio Hotel: Fell It All Video. Retrieved January 23, 2018 .
- Germany's Next Top Model: Tokio Hotel delivers title song . Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung . January 28, 2019. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- Berry: The new Tokio Hotel single "melancholic paradise" is pure LA! In: Hollywood Tramp. February 1, 2019, accessed February 9, 2019 .
- The pop miracle from the provinces . stern.de, February 3, 2007
- Friday Night News - The best scenes and skits ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. - Announcement of August 25, 2006 at CNET
- coldclips.com ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Tokio Hotel pursued by militant stalkers . News from April 18, 2009 at welt.de
- Is Tokio Hotel-Tom slapping a girl in the face here? . News from December 11, 2009 at bild.de.
- Educationfor Tokio Hotel twins ( Memento from April 28, 2009 in the Internet Archive ). Report from April 27, 2009 at sueddeutsche.de
- Tokio Hotel makes fashion for H&M , message from May 2, 2009 at abendblatt.de
- Tokio Hotel promote PETA
- Akiko Lachenmann: The emo scene: In the intoxication of feelings. ( Memento from January 1, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Stuttgarter Zeitung , January 14, 2009; Retrieved August 3, 2013
- Enrico Ippolito: Emo movement: Against philistines . In: taz