Lewis David von Schweinitz
Lewis David von Schweinitz , also Ludwig David von Schweinitz and Schweiniz or de Schweinitz , Schweiniz (born February 13, 1780 in Bethlehem , Pennsylvania , USA ; † February 8, 1834 there ) was chairman of the Moravian Brothers in North America as well as a mycologist and botanist . His botanical-mycological author's abbreviation is “ Pig. "
Schweinitz was born as the great-grandson of the founder of the Moravian Brothers , Nikolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf and Pottendorf, in the Moravian settlement of Bethlehem (Pennsylvania) . In 1798 he attended the theological seminar in Niesky , Oberlausitz, Germany . In 1801 he became a teacher there at the University Boys' Institute. In 1807 von Schweinitz worked as a caretaker for the single brothers in Gnadenberg (Silesia). In 1808 he became head of the single brothers' choir in Gnadau .
In 1812, back in the United States, he became administrator of the university properties in Salem, now Winston-Salem , North Carolina . In 1821 he was an inspector at a boarding school for girls in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. He died there in 1834 in the service of the Brothers Unity.
- Lewis David von Schweinitz & Johannes Baptista von Albertini : Conspectus Fungorum in Lusatiae Superioris Agro Niskiensi Crescentium e Methodo Persooniana. Leipzig 1805. German title: "Observation of the mushrooms of Upper Lusatia that grow in the fields around Nisky, according to the Persoon method ". This work contains 1130 species, including 127 new species.
In North America, Schweinitz describes 3,000 mushrooms, including 1,200 new species as the sole author.
- Specimen florae Americae cryptogamicae , 1821.
- Synopsis Fungorum Carolinae Superioris , 1822.
- Synopsis Fungorum in America Boreali Media Degentium , 1832.
- Heinrich Dörfelt , Heike Heklau: The history of mycology. 1998, ISBN 3927654442 .
- Hans Dieter Zehfuß: Leafed through historical mushroom literature. Episode 1. In: Der Tintling 36, Issue 3/2003, , pp. 36-40.
- Johannes Leunis , A. B. Frank: Synopsis of botany. 1877. Page X. u. LXIV
- Sketch of LD Schweinitz. In: Popular Science Monthly , vol. 44 (193/94), pp. 833-840.
- Gothaisches genealogical pocket book of noble houses, 1916, p.769
- Lotte Burkhardt: Directory of eponymous plant names - Extended Edition. Part I and II. Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin , Freie Universität Berlin , Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-946292-26-5 doi: 10.3372 / epolist2018 .
- Literature by and about Lewis David von Schweinitz in the catalog of the German National Library
- http://library.nybg.org/finding_guide/archv/schweinitz_ppb.html (English)
- Short biography ( memento of June 29, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) on the Harvard University website
- Author entry and list of the described plant names for Lewis David von Schweinitz at the IPNI
|SURNAME||Schweinitz, Lewis David from|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schweinitz, Ludwig David von; Schweiniz, Lewis David from|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Naturalist and mycologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 13, 1780|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bethlehem, Pennsylvania|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 8, 1834|
|Place of death||Bethlehem, Pennsylvania|