Martin Steinmann (Librarian)
life and work
Martin Steinmann attended the humanistic grammar school in Basel and then studied history , German and Latin philology . 1966 doctorate he attended the University of Basel Dr. phil. with a dissertation on the Basel book printer Johannes Oporinus . After working on the Medieval Latin Dictionary in Munich for a year , he became an adjunct in the manuscript department of the Basel University Library . In 1975 he received his habilitation at the University of Basel. From 1976 until his retirement in 2005, he succeeded Max Burckhardt as head of the manuscript department. From 1984 he taught at the University of Basel as an associate professor on palaeography and library science . From 1973 to 1998 he was editor of the Basler Zeitschrift für Geschichte und Altertumskunde . After his retirement, his collection of sources on medieval manuscripts, which he had compiled over many years, was published in 2013; In it he quotes over 900 source texts on the subject of script and writing from antiquity (Cicero) to the 16th century, each in the original wording and in German translation; Detailed registers in the appendix: authors and work titles, glossary on the book system, evidence of the cited manuscripts according to storage locations, as well as a register of names and things.
- Johannes Oporinus, a Basel book printer in the mid-16th century . Verlag Helbing & Lichtenhahn, Basel 1967, 149 pages (Diss. Phil. I, University of Basel 1966).
- Conrad Gesner: Historia plantarum, watercolors from the botanical estate of Conrad Gesner (1516–1565) in the University Library Erlangen , ed. by Heinrich Zoller, Martin Steinmann and Karl Schmid, facsimile edition. Urs Graf-Verlag, Dietikon ZH 1972–1980, 8 volumes, ill. (with Martin Steinmann's transcription of all Gesner's notes).
- Manuscripts in the Middle Ages, a collection of sources . Schwabe Verlag, Basel 2013, 932 pages. ISBN 978-3-7965-2890-3 .
- Scriptorium and Offizin: Festschrift for Martin Steinmann (= Basler Zeitschrift für Geschichte und Altertumskunde , 110, 2010)
- Kürschner's German Scholars Calendar . 22nd edition (2009). Vol. 4, p. 4101.
- Biographical information on the Schwabe-Verlag website
- Publications by Martin Steinmann in the Opac of the Regesta Imperii
- Literature by and about Martin Steinmann in the catalog of the German National Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 21, 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Aarau|