Matthias Herrmann (musicologist)
As a youth, Matthias Herrmann was a member of the Dresden Kreuzchor under the Kreuzkantors Rudolf Mauersberger and Martin Flämig . He then studied musicology at the University of Leipzig and later worked in the music department of the Saxon State Library in Dresden and the culture department of the Saxon Tageblatt Dresden .
He received his doctorate on Wettin court music in Dresden around 1500 and completed his habilitation on compositional work, especially the early work of Rudolf Mauersberger. He worked as a research assistant and senior assistant at the Heinrich Schütz Archive in Dresden and in 1993 was appointed professor of music history at the Institute for Musicology at the Carl Maria von Weber University of Music in Dresden.
He publishes the Saxon Studies on Early Music History at Verlag Klaus-Jürgen Kamprad in Altenburg and the Dresden writings on music and the writings of the Dresden Cross Choir at Tectum Verlag in Marburg / Baden-Baden .
Matthias Herrmann is a member of the editorial board of Dresdner Hefte and board member of the Dresdner Geschichtsverein eV (long-term chairman until 2016). He was the spokesman for the "Heinrich Schütz in Dresden" association, a longstanding member of the cultural advisory board of the state capital of Dresden, the music project group of the Dresden Cultural Office and a.
- Rudolf Mauersberger (1889–1971). Catalog of works (RMWV) , Dresden 1976, 2nd, completely revised edition, Dresden / Stuttgart 1991 (studies and materials on the music history of Dresden 3)
- Rudolf Mauersberger (1889–1971). Minutes of the scientific conference on the occasion of the 100th birthday of the Kreuzkantor (edited with Hans John ), Dresdner Hefte 1990, Heft 2 (contributions to the cultural history 22)
- The Dresden Church Music in the 19th and 20th Centuries (edition), Laaber 1998 (Music in Dresden 3), ISBN 3-89007-331-X .
- Dresden and advanced music in the 20th century. Part I: 1900–1933 (published with Hanns-Werner Heister ), Laaber 1999 (Music in Dresden 4)
- Arnold Schönberg in Dresden , Dresden 2001
- Wolfram Steude , approach through distance. Texts on older Central German music and music history (edition), Altenburg Kamprad 2001
- Richard Strauss . Essays on life and work. (Editor with Michael Heinemann and Stefan Weiss), Laaber 2002.
- Dresden and advanced music in the 20th century. Part II: 1933–1966 (editor with Hanns-Werner Heister ), Laaber 2002 (Music in Dresden 5)
- Dresden and advanced music in the 20th century. Part III: 1966–1999 (editor with Stefan Weiss), Laaber 2004 (Music in Dresden 6)
- Kreuzkantor in Dresden. Rudolf Mauersberger , vol. 1 of the publications of the Mauersberger Museum, Mauersberg 2004
- The Dresden Kreuzchor . History, places of work, school. (Editor with Dieter Härtwig ), Leipzig 2006
- Fairy tale opera. A European Phenomenon (editor with Vitus Froesch), Dresden 2007
- Music in medieval Dresden. On Becoming a City of Music (editor), Altenburg Kamprad 2008 (Saxon Studies on Older Music History 1)
- Maintaining music in the Protestant castle chapel in Dresden during the Schütz period (editor), Altenburg Kamprad 2009 (Saxon studies on older music history 3)
- Explorations about Günter Raphael - man and composer (editor), Altenburg Kamprad 2010
- Johann Walter : Torgau and Protestant church music . With a foreword by Christian Thielemann (edition), Altenburg 2013 (Saxon Studies on Older Music History, Vol. 4)
- Rudolf Mauersberger: From the workshop of a cross cantor. Letters, texts, speeches (edition), Marburg 2014 (Writings of the Dresdner Kreuzchor, Vol. 1)
- Wolfram Steude: Heinrich Schütz - man, work, effect. With a foreword by Joshua Rifkin (edition), Marburg 2016 (Dresdner Schriften zur Musik, Vol. 7)
- Dresden Kreuzchor and contemporary choral music. World premieres between Richter and Kreile (edition), Marburg 2017 (Writings of the Dresdner Kreuzchor, vol. 2)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German musicologist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 14, 1955|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Mildenau , Ore Mountains|