Michael Sandle (born May 18, 1936 in Weymouth , Dorset , Great Britain ) is a British sculptor and German university professor. He is considered an important representative of contemporary sculpture. Sandle lives and works in London , England .
life and work
Michael Sandle studied from 1951 to 1954 at the Douglas School of Art and Technology on the Isle of Man , he completed his military service at the Royal Artillery until 1956. During this time he attended evening classes at Chester College of Art. From 1956 to 1959 he studied Graphic techniques at the Slade School of Fine Art in London with Anthony Gross , Lynton Lamb and Ceri Richards , also with Andrew Forge , Lucian Freud and Claude Rogers . He went on study trips across Europe on a French grant.
Sandle lived in Canada from 1970 to 1973 . He was visiting professor at the University of Calgary in Alberta until 1971 and at the University of British Columbia (1971 to 1972). In 1973 he moved to Germany and from 1980 to 1999 was head of the plastics institute and a sculpture class at the State Academy of Fine Arts in Karlsruhe .
Michael Sandle was a participant in the Paris Biennale in 1967 and in 1968 with a sculpture in the 4th documenta in Kassel . Michael Sandle has been a member of the German Association of Artists since 1973 . He was appointed Royal Academician in 1989.
Literature and Sources
- Exhibition catalog for the IV. Documenta: IV. Documenta. International exhibition ; Catalog: Volume 1: (Painting and Sculpture); Volume 2: (Graphics / Objects); Kassel 1968
- Kimpel, Harald / Stengel, Karin: documenta IV 1968 International Exhibition - A Photographic Reconstruction (series of publications from the documenta archive); Bremen 2007, ISBN 978-3-86108-524-9
- Donation Wolfgang Kermer : inventory catalog . Municipal Gallery Neunkirchen. [Catalog: Wolfgang Kermer; Nicole Nix-Hauck] Neunkirchen, 2011, ISBN 978-3-941715-07-3 , p. 139
- kuenstlerbund.de: Full members of the German Association of Artists since it was founded in 1903 / Sandle, Michael ( Memento of the original from February 24, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (accessed on January 2, 2016)
- Examples of his work
- Examples of his work in the Tate Gallery
- Materials by and about Michael Sandle in the documenta archive
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British sculptor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 18, 1936|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Weymouth , Dorset , UK|