Michael Schneider (historian)
Michael Schneider (born June 22, 1944 in Landsberg / Warthe ) is a German historian and political scientist , honorary professor at the University of Bonn and author of numerous monographs and essays and the editor of several anthologies .
After studying and taking the first state examination in Cologne, Schneider was awarded a Dr. phil and habilitated in Modern History at the University of Hamburg in 1982. From 1971 until the beginning of his retirement in 2009, Schneider worked in various ways for the historical research work of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung . In 1999 he took over the management of the archive of social democracy at the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung in Bonn. In 2009 he was retired with a lecture by Richard J. Evans on the subject of “Working Class and National Community” and a commemorative publication on “Solidarity and culture of remembrance in the 20th century”.
Schneider has carried out numerous research projects and contributed to the development of several exhibitions on the history of the SPD and trade unions. In addition, he has participated in several historical controversies (including historians ' dispute , Goldhagen debate ). From 1985 to 1990 he was a member of the editorial board of the journal “International Labor and Workings Class History” (ILWCH). From 1992 to 2013, together with Dieter Dowe, and from 2009 also with Anja Kruke, he was responsible for the series “Political and Social History”. From 1995 to 2011 he worked as an editorial member of the journal Archiv für Sozialgeschichte . From 1995 to 2009 he was a member of the board of the International Conference of Historians of the Workers' Movement (ITH / Linz Conference) and from 2004 to 2009 of the board of the section of archives and archivists of parliaments and political parties in the International Archives Council . Since 2010 he has been co-editor of the "Sources on the History of the German Trade Union Movement in the 20th Century".
Schneider's main research interests were or are the history of the labor movement , especially the trade unions and the SPD , the right to strike , work or the resistance from the labor movement to National Socialism .
Michael Schneider lives in Kalenborn (near Altenahr) .
- On the way to the crisis. Theses and materials on the Ruhreisenstreit (= on the history of the workers' movement in the Rhineland, vol. 2), Einhorn Presse, Wentorf near Hamburg 1974.
- Entrepreneur and Democracy. The free trade unions in entrepreneurial ideology from 1918 to 1933 (= series of publications by the research institute of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, vol. 116,) Verlag Neue Gesellschaft, Bonn-Bad Godesberg 1975, (diss.).
- The ADGB's job creation program. On trade union policy in the final phase of the Weimar Republic (= publication series of the research institute of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, vol. 120), Verlag Neue Gesellschaft, Bonn-Bad Godesberg 1975.
- Lockout. Their history and function from the German Empire to the present day (= series of publications by the Otto Brenner Foundation, vol. 15), Bund Verlag, Cologne 1980.
- The Christian Unions 1894–1933 (= Research Institute of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, Political and Social History Series, Vol. 10), Verlag Neue Gesellschaft, Bonn 1982, (Habil.).
- Dispute over working hours. History of the struggle to reduce working hours in Germany , Bund Verlag, Cologne 1984.
- Democracy in danger? The conflict over the emergency laws: social democracy, trade unions and intellectual protest (1958–1968) (= research institute of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, series on political and social history, vol. 17), Verlag Neue Gesellschaft, Bonn 1986.
- A little history of the unions. Your development in Germany from the beginning until today , Verlag JHW Dietz Nachf., Bonn 1989; engl. Translation 1989; Chinese Translation 1993.
- SPD and unions: On the history of an alliance. Presentation and documentation (= SPD and trade unions, Vol. 1, edited by Jochem Langkau, Hans Matthöfer and Michael Schneider), Verlag JHW Dietz Nachf., Bonn 1994.
- Walter Hesselbach . Banker and entrepreneur , with a foreword by Hans Matthöfer, Verlag JHW Dietz Nachf., Bonn 1995
- Under the swastika. Workers and workers 'movement 1933 to 1939 (= history of workers and the workers' movement in Germany since the end of the 18th century, vol. 12), Verlag JHW Dietz Nachf., Bonn 1999.
- In war society. Workers and the workers 'movement 1939 to 1945 (= history of workers and the workers' movement in Germany since the end of the 18th century, volume 13), Dietz, Bonn 2014.
- May 2, 1933: The unions are broken up . A film for political education, DVD, ed. Hans Böckler Foundation, 2013.
- "Gewerkschaftsgeschichte.de" , Internet portal, ed. from the Hans Böckler Foundation, online since May 2016.
- together with Jürgen Hoffmann, workers' movement and right-wing extremism (= ITH conference reports, vol. 41), Akademische Verlagsanstalt, Leipzig 2007.
- together with Beatrix Bouvier , history politics and democratic culture. Balance sheet and perspectives , Verlag JHW Dietz Nachf., Bonn 2008.
- together with Dieter Dowe , Helmut Schmidt . Photographed by Jupp Darchinger , Verlag JHW Dietz Nachf., Bonn 2008.
- together with Günter Benser , Preserve - Spread - Enlighten. Archivists, librarians and collectors of the sources of the German-speaking labor movement , Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, Bonn-Bad Godesberg 2009.
- together with Werner Kremp, Am Sternenbanner the fate of the working class. 150 years of relations between German social democracy and the USA (= Atlantic Texts 37), Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Trier, Trier 2013.
- Literature by and about Michael Schneider in the catalog of the German National Library
- Complete list of publications in the library of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung
- Michael Schneider: "People's Education" from the right: Ernst Nolte, the efforts to "historicize" National Socialism and the "self-confident nation"
- Michael Schneider: The "Goldhagen Debate": a historians' dispute in the media society
- www.tagesspiegel - The comrades deep in the cellar. Pioneers in the estate - where you can always find good things about the SPD. A search for clues. (from June 26, 2005)
- Ilse Fischer: On the farewell to Professor Dr. Michael Schneider
- Representation of interests - emancipation - justice. Michael Schneider's contributions to national and international trade union history and the situation of workers in the Third Reich.
- ↑ See homepage of the Institute for Political Science and Sociology at the University of Bonn.
- ↑ See entry on Michael Schneider (1944), in: Kürschners deutscher Gelehrtenkalender, 2005ff.
- ↑ See Ursula Bitzegeio, Anja Kruke u. Meik Woyke (Ed.), Solidarity Community and Culture of Remembrance in the 20th Century, Bonn 2009
- ↑ See Ilse Fischer: On the farewell to Professor Dr. Michael Schneider, in: Newsletter from the archive of social democracy, 2009.
- ↑ See the editorial of volumes 27 to 36 of the ILWCH magazine.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian and political scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 22, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Landsberg / Warthe|