Norbert Wimmer (born July 5, 1942 in Linz ) is an Austrian legal scholar , politician and university professor . From 1973 to 2010, Wimmer was a professor at the Institute for Public Law at the University of Innsbruck . From 1992 to 2000 the SPÖ politician was also the deputy mayor of the state capital Innsbruck .
Norbert Wimmer was born on July 5, 1942 in Linz and also attended primary and secondary schools there. In 1961 he began studying law at the Law and Political Science Faculty of the University of Vienna . In the course of this he passed a state examination with Professor Adolf Julius Merkl . His other academic teachers in public law included Walter Antoniolli , Felix Ermacora and Günther Winkler . In 1966 graduated Norbert Wimmer graduated with the promotion to Doctor of Law ( Dr. iur. Ab).
In 1965 Norbert Wimmer became a university assistant at the then newly founded University for Social and Economic Sciences in Linz (today's Johannes Kepler University Linz ) at the chair of the founding rector Ludwig Fröhler . After Wimmer's time in Linz, he moved to the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences in 1968 as a university assistant at the chair of Professor Peter Pernthaler . When Pernthaler was also appointed to a chair for public law at the University of Innsbruck in 1968 , Wimmer went with him to Innsbruck, where in 1970 he finally completed his habilitation thesis on the subject of “Material Understanding of the Constitution”, which was at that time heavily discussed scientifically . Today the material understanding of the constitution postulated by Wimmer is largely accepted dominant doctrine . With his habilitation , Norbert Wimmer obtained the license to teach ( venia legendi ) in the field of public law at the University of Innsbruck .
After completing his habilitation, Norbert Wimmer moved to the Constitutional Service in the Federal Chancellery (Austria) in 1970 , where he was involved, among other things, in setting up the Federal Administration Academy and founding the Federal Ministry for Health and Environmental Protection . He returned to his academic career on March 1, 1973 when he was offered an associate professorship at the newly established Department of Environmental Law at the Institute for Public Law at the University of Innsbruck. In 1978 Norbert Wimmer was appointed full professor and full professor for public law at the University of Innsbruck. From 1985 to 1987 he was dean of the Faculty of Law. From October 1993 to September 2009 Wimmer was director of the Institute for Public Law, Finance Law and Political Science at the University of Innsbruck. In 2010 he was finally retired as a university professor .
On January 4, 1985, Norbert Wimmer was appointed a substitute member of the Constitutional Court by Federal President Rudolf Kirchschläger on the proposal of the National Council. He remained this until his voluntary resignation on November 9, 1992. Wimmer also worked at the Supreme Court in the Principality of Liechtenstein : from 1989 to 1995 he was also a substitute member at the Liechtenstein State Court .
Norbert Wimmer had already been active in community politics for the Social Democratic Party in Innsbruck for several years before he was appointed deputy mayor of the Tyrolean capital in 1992. As Vice Mayor and City Councilor, he headed, among other things, the construction and sports department in the Innsbruck City Senate. In the municipal council elections in 1994 , Wimmer subsequently stood as the top candidate of the Innsbruck SPÖ and was able to lead it to victory for the first time since 1945 as the party with the most votes and seats. Nevertheless, he remained deputy mayor, Herwig van Staa from the list “ For Innsbruck ” was elected mayor. In the municipal council election in 2000, Wimmer, after falling out with the Innsbruck city party of the SPÖ, ran his own list under the name "Social Innsbruck". After this list could only achieve 4.4% of the votes and thus only two seats in the local council, Wimmer left active local politics to return to the university.
- Konrad Arnold, Friederike Bundschuh-Rieseneder, Arno Kahl , Thomas Müller, Klaus Wallnöfer (eds.): Law. Politics. Economy. Dynamic perspectives. Festschrift for Norbert Wimmer . SpringerWienNewYork , Vienna 2008, ISBN 978-3-211-71298-6 ( curriculum vitae of Norbert Wimmer (pp. 733–736)).
- Curriculum Vitae of Em.O.Univ.-Prof. Dr. Norbert Wimmer. In: Website of the University of Innsbruck . Retrieved January 22, 2019 .
- Curriculum Vitae o. Prof. Dr. Norbert Wimmer, head of the institute. In: Website of the Institute for Public Law, Political and Administrative Studies at the University of Innsbruck . Retrieved January 22, 2019 .
- ↑ a b Kurt Heller : The Constitutional Court. The development of constitutional jurisdiction in Austria from the beginning to the present . Verlag Österreich , Vienna 2010, ISBN 978-3-7046-5495-3 , chapter short biographies of the members and substitute members of the Constitutional Court 1945-2010 , p. 655 .
- ↑ a b c d e f Konrad Arnold, Friederike Bundschuh-Rieseneder, Arno Kahl , Thomas Müller, Klaus Wallnöfer (eds.): Law. Politics. Economy. Dynamic perspectives. Festschrift for Norbert Wimmer . SpringerWienNewYork , Vienna 2008, ISBN 978-3-211-71298-6 ( curriculum vitae of Norbert Wimmer (pp. 733–736)).
- ↑ a b Curriculum Vitae o. Prof. Dr. Norbert Wimmer, head of the institute. In: Website of the Institute for Public Law, Political and Administrative Studies at the University of Innsbruck . Retrieved January 22, 2019 .
- ↑ a b University of Innsbruck (ed.): Thanks and congratulations. Presented as part of the academic ceremony on December 14, 2010 to professors from the University of Innsbruck on the occasion of their retirement or their retirement (= university life . Volume 23 ). S. 31 ( online as PDF on the University of Innsbruck's website [accessed January 22, 2019]).
- ↑ Van Staa has several options. In: Wiener Zeitung . April 11, 2000, accessed January 22, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian constitutional lawyer and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 5, 1942|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Linz|