Othmar Wessely (born October 31, 1922 in Linz , Upper Austria ; † April 20, 1998 in Vienna ) was an Austrian musicologist .
Othmar Wessely studied musicology at the University of Vienna with Erich Schenk . From 1963 to 1971 he was a university professor at the Karl-Franzens University in Graz , and from 1972 to 1992 he was the successor of his teacher Schenk at the University of Vienna.
From 1974 Wessely was head of the publications of the monuments of music art in Austria (DTÖ). From 1982 to 1998 chairman of the commission for music research of the Austrian Academy of Sciences and scientific director of the Anton Bruckner Institute Linz .
Wessely was married to the musicologist Helene Wessely-Kropik (1924-2011) since 1951. Both were buried in a grave at Döblinger Friedhof (group 32, row 4, number 25). (Tombstone fell over).
- Music in Upper Austria , Linz 1951.
- The musical instrument collection of the Upper Austrian State Museum , Linz 1952.
- Johannes Brassicanus , Linz 1948 a. 1954.
- Arnold von Bruck , habilitation thesis , Vienna 1958 (1961).
- Music , Darmstadt 1972.
- Bruckner Studies , Vienna 1975.
- The older libretti in the library of the Institute for Musicology at the University of Vienna , Vienna 1998.
- Manfred Angerer (Ed.): Festschrift Othmar Wessely for his 60th birthday. Hans Schneider , Tutzing 1982.
- Uwe Harten : Wessely, married couple. In: Oesterreichisches Musiklexikon . Online edition, Vienna 2002 ff., ISBN 3-7001-3077-5 ; Print edition: Volume 5, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 2006, ISBN 3-7001-3067-8 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian musicologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 31, 1922|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Linz , Upper Austria|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 20, 1998|
|Place of death||Vienna|