The Point Pinos Lighthouse
|Location in California|
|State :||United States|
|County :||Monterey County|
|Time zone :||Pacific ( UTC − 8 / −7 )|
|Residents :||15,522 (as of: 2000)|
|Population density :||2,097.6 inhabitants per km 2|
|Area :||10.3 km 2 (approx. 4 mi 2 ) of
which 7.4 km 2 (approx. 3 mi 2 ) is land
|Height :||47 m|
|Postal code :||93950|
|Area code :||+1 831|
|GNIS ID :||1652821|
|Mayor :||Daniel E. Cort|
Pacific Grove is a city in Monterey County in the US state of California , United States , with 15,400 inhabitants (as of 2004 ). The urban area covers a size of 10.4 km². The Asilomar Conference Center , a former YWCA summer camp , located directly in the Pacific dunes, is particularly well-known . The Asilomar conference on recombinant DNA , organized by Paul Berg , took place there in 1975 . Pacific Grove was founded in 1889.
The population density was 1.451 / km 2 according to the 2010 census . 12710 people (84.5%) were white, 199 (1.3%) were black, 78 (0.5%) were Indians, 872 (5.8%) were Asian, 49 (0.3%) were residents Pacific Islands. 1615 people were Hispanic regardless of race
According to the census, 14,686 people (97.6% of the population) lived in households, and 215 (1.4%) were institutionalized.
There were 7,020 households out of which 1,526 had children under the age of 18. 2934 (41.8%) households were married couples, 653 (9.3%) had a female housekeeper without a man, and 233 (3.3%) had a male housekeeper without a wife. There were 349 (5.0%) unmarried non-sex partnerships. 2609 households (37.2%) had a householder living alone and 1,012 (14.4%) had a householder older than 65 years of age who lived alone. The average household size was 2.09.
sons and daughters of the town
Personalities related to the city
- Alice Bailey (1880–1949), theosophist, esotericist and author
- Ed Ricketts (1897–1948), marine biologist and philosopher; opened Pacific Biological Laboratories in Pacific Grove
- The writer Jonathan Nasaw (* 1947) comes from Pacific Grove.
- Amara Miller (* 2000), actress; grew up in Pacific Grove
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Clovis, Calif .: Word Dancer Press. p. 932.