Peter Johanek graduated from the Engelbert-Kaempfer-Gymnasium in Lemgo in 1957 . From 1958 to 1970 he studied history, German and archeology at the universities of Würzburg and Vienna . In 1967 he received his doctorate in Würzburg with the thesis The early days of the seal certificate in the Diocese of Würzburg . From 1972 to 1980 he worked as a research assistant at the University of Würzburg. It was there in 1979 that his habilitation for medieval history, historical auxiliary sciences and German national history took place. From 1981 he taught as a professor for medieval history at the University of Münster and from 1985 to 2002 as successor to Heinz Stoob, he was professor for Westphalian regional history. From 1984 to 2007 Johanek headed the Institute for Comparative Urban History at the University of Münster.
Johanek was visiting professor at the PH Magdeburg in 1991/92 , in 1994 at the Central European University, Budapest , in 1994 at the University of Riga and in 2003 at the Central European University, Budapest. In 2004 Johanek was Wolfgang Stammler visiting professor at the Medieval Institute of the University of Friborg and in the same year he was visiting professor at Todai University Tokyo . As an academic teacher, Johanek supervised 30 dissertations. Mark Mersiowsky and Birgit Studt were among his academic students .
His work focuses on the history of the city, the Westphalian regional history, medieval historiography, diplomacy and the history of medieval legal writing.
Johanek was awarded numerous honors and memberships for his research. Johanek became a member of the Society for Franconian History in 1970 . In 1984 he was elected a full member of the Historical Commission for Westphalia , joined the board in 1986 and was its first chairman from April 1990 to May 2003. He is also a member of the Constance Working Group for Medieval History (1984), a member of the Association for Constitutional History ( since 1987) and since 1991 a member of the Historical Commission for Saxony-Anhalt . He is also a corresponding member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (since 1995) and since 1994 in the Commission Internationale de Diplomatique. Since 1994 he has also been a member of the International Commission for Urban History , the most important European umbrella organization in the field of urban history. In 2010 he became an honorary member. The Austrian Working Group for Urban History Research made him an honorary member in 1996. In 2001 Johanek was appointed a full member of the Sudeten German Academy of Sciences and Arts . On the occasion of his 65th birthday, a scientific colloquium was held in October 2002 under the title “Regions and Cities. International Research Papers and Perspectives ”. Of these, nine essays were published in one volume in 2005. In 2004 he received an honorary doctorate from the South Bohemian University of Budweis .
A list of publications appeared in: Wilfried Ehbrecht, Angelika Lampen, Franz-Joseph Post, Mechthild Siekmann (eds.): The wide view of the historian. Insights into cultural, state and city history. Peter Johanek on his 65th birthday. Böhlau, Cologne et al. 2002, ISBN 3-412-07602-3 , pp. 789-808.
- What continues to work ...: Law and history in tradition and literary culture of the Middle Ages. Scriptorium, Münster 1997, ISBN 3-932610-02-4 .
- The early days of the seal certificate in the diocese of Würzburg (= sources and research on the history of the diocese and bishopric of Würzburg. Vol. 20). Schöningh in Komm., Würzburg 1969 (at the same time: Würzburg, University, dissertation, 1969).
- The city and its edge (= urban research. Publications of the Institute for Comparative Urban History in Münster. Vol. 70). Böhlau, Cologne et al. 2008, ISBN 3-412-24105-9 .
- together with Franz-Joseph Post: Many cities. The concept of the city (= urban research. Publications of the Institute for Comparative Urban History in Münster. Vol. 61). Böhlau, Cologne et al. 2004, ISBN 3-412-10603-8 .
- Urban historiography in the late Middle Ages and early modern times (= urban research. Publications of the Institute for Comparative Urban History in Münster. Vol. 47). Böhlau, Cologne 2000, ISBN 3-412-11496-0 .
- Unions and brotherhoods in the late medieval city (= urban research. Publications of the Institute for Comparative Urban History in Münster. Vol. 32). Böhlau, Cologne 1993, ISBN 3-412-04591-8 .
- together with Friedrich Bernward Fahlbusch : Studia Luxemburgensia. Festschrift Heinz Stoob on the occasion of his 70th birthday (= studies on the Luxembourgers and their time. Vol. 3). Fahlbusch-Hölscher-Rieger, Warendorf 1989, ISBN 3-925522-05-0 .
- Peter Johanek . In: Jürgen Petersohn (Ed.): The Constance Working Group for Medieval History. The members and their work. A bio-bibliographical documentation (= publications of the Constance Working Group for Medieval History on the occasion of its fiftieth anniversary 1951–2001. Vol. 2). Thorbecke, Stuttgart 2001, ISBN 3-7995-6906-5 , pp. 205-216 ( online ).
- Wilfried Ehbrecht , Angelika lamps, Franz-Joseph Post, Mechthild Siekmann (eds.): The historian's wide view. Insights into cultural, state and city history. Peter Johanek on his 65th birthday. Böhlau, Cologne et al. 2002, ISBN 3-412-07602-3 .
- Ellen Widder (Ed.): Manipulus florum. From the Middle Ages, regional history, literature and historiography. Festschrift for Peter Johanek on his 60th birthday. Waxmann, Münster 2000, ISBN 3-89325-743-8 .
- Literature by and about Peter Johanek in the catalog of the German National Library
- Books and essays by Peter Johanek in the Opac of the Regesta Imperii
- Page from Johanek at the University of Münster
- Dissertations supervised by Peter Johanek. In: Wilfried Ehbrecht, Angelika Lampen, Franz-Joseph Post, Mechthild Siekmann (ed.): The historian's wide view. Insights into cultural, state and city history. Peter Johanek on his 65th birthday. Cologne et al. 2002, pp. 809-813.
- Heinz Duchhardt , Wilfried Reininghaus (Ed.): City and Region. International research and perspectives. Colloquium for Peter Johanek. Cologne et al. 2005.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 28, 1937|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Prague|