|location||near Sankt Kathrein am Offenegg , Styria|
|rock||Passailer Phyllite , Hundsberg Quartzite|
|Age of the rock||Silurian to Devonian (around 400 million years)|
Location and landscape
The mountain rises a good 10 kilometers north of Weiz , between the Passail basin near Sankt Kathrein am Offenegg to the west and the valley of the Naintschbach near Anger to the east. It belongs to the central ridge of the Weizer Bergland , which stretches from the Plankogel to the Hohen Zetz ( ). To the north, after the Schöne Kreuz saddle (approx. ), lies the Feichteck ( ), to the south, after the Brendlerhöhe (approx. ) saddle, the Eibisberg (approx. ) with the place of the same name, and then the Zetz ( ).
The wooded knoll rises about 600 meters above the floor of the Passail basin. St. Kathrein is located on the western slope of the ridge . The Hollerbach rises above it at Oberhollerbach . To the south-east of Zeil the Lambach also goes to the Weizbach . The Naintschbach rises to the northeast at Schönen Kreuz, and to the southeast is the Brunnadergraben near Prettenhof that flows towards it .
The mountain is formed from the Passail phyllite of the Graz Paleozoic , its summit is a Hundsberg quartzite clod . The Passail Formations are understood as a volcanic-tectonic event in the sea deposits that are around 450 to 350 million years old. To the south near Eibisberg there is already Schöcklkalk , at the eastern foot near Prettenhof Hochschlag-Kalk and black slate of the clay shale (Schöcklkalk) facies.
Development and ways
The area is an easy hiking area, the ascent takes about 1½ to 2½ hours, from the parking lot in Eibisberg only a good half hour. A high path runs along the ridge, and many other forest paths are also marked. The summit itself is rarely climbed and there are no trail markings or summit cross. On the Bendlerhöhe is the Naturfreundehaus Bendlerhöhe , a self-catering hut ( ).
The mountain is part of the Almenland nature park and the protected landscape areas of the Almenland, the Fischbacher Alps and the Grazer Bergland (LS 41).
Below at Prettenhof there was a small ski lift that has not been operated for some time.
- cf. Fritz Ebner, Leopold Weber: The geological-tectonic conditions between Tannebenstock and Rötschgraben (Graz Paleozoic). In: Communications from the Natural Science Association for Styria 108 (1978), esp. 2.2.2. Interntektonik der Oberen Schiefer , p. 100 ff, whole article p. 95–113, PDF on ZOBODAT there p. 6 ff.
- Helmut W. Flügel: Report 1997 on geological recordings in the Paleozoic on sheets 135 Birkfeld and 165 Weiz. In: Jahrbuch der Geologische Bundesanstalt 144 (1998), Part 3, pp. 289–290 ( article pdf , geologie.ac.at).
- Naturfreudehaus Bendlerhöhe. naturfreunde-haeuser.net
- St. Kathrein - Brandlucken - circular hiking trail. almenland.at (accessed October 13, 2016).
- fishing hut in Anger burned down. In: Kleine Zeitung online, April 30, 2015.