Premier was founded in 1922 as The Premier Drum Co. in Wigston (Leicester) by the young London drummer Albert Della Porta and the drum maker George Smith. First, Premier built for other manufacturers, only then did they sell under their own name. In 1958 the Beverly Musical Instruments company was bought. Later the production of percussion was added.
Premier drums have a high recognition value due to the use of continuous lugs. In the 1990s, this principle was modernized and used by all common manufacturers for a few years, modified.
In the 1960s and 1970s Premier enjoyed great success and enjoyed a high reputation as a manufacturer of high quality percussion instruments , especially in the rock sector . The brand was the most popular behind Ludwig at the time .
- Royal Ace
- Olympic - once independent
- Gothic series
Known Premier users
- Phil Collins - ( Genesis )
- Rick Buckler - ( The Jam )
- Mel Gaynor - ( Simple Minds )
- Keith Moon - ( The Who )
- Nicko McBrain - ( Iron Maiden )
- Charlie Morgan - ( Elton John )
- Phil Selway - ( Radiohead )
- Tommy Portimo - ( Sonata Arctica )
- Mike Chiplin
- Ringo Starr - ( The Beatles (until 1963))
- Brad Wilk
- Carl Palmer - ( Emerson, Lake and Palmer , Asia )
- Rod Morgenstein
- Wim Dykstra
- Nick Mason - ( Pink Floyd )
- John Coghlan - ( Status Quo )
- Jeff Rich - ( Status Quo )
- Mitch Mitchell - ( Jimi Hendrix Experience )
- Clem Burke - ( Blondie , Ramones )
- Matt Helders - ( Arctic Monkeys )
- Graeme Edge - ( Moody Blues )
- Brian Bennett - ( The Shadows )
- The Premier Drum Co. In: Carl Dahlhaus (Ed.): Riemann Musiklexikon . 12th, completely revised edition. Personal section: L – Z , supplementary volume. Schott, Mainz 1975, p. 413 .
- Carl Dahlhaus: The Premier Drum Co. In: Riemann Musiklexikon.