Matthew Helders (born May 7, 1986 in Sheffield ) is the drummer of the British indie rock band Arctic Monkeys and currently plays the drums for Mongrel. He also does the background vocals for most of the songs.
At the Arctic Monkeys
In an interview, Helders confessed that the drums were the only instrument left. Since each of them already had guitars, he bought a drum kit. He named rap music as influences, which the members enjoyed listening to, especially during their school days, and especially Queens of the Stone Age as the main influence on his drumming. He also gave a reason why they mostly sing their songs in their Yorkshire accent. "It comes off a bit strange when you speak in your normal English accent between songs and then sing during the song as if you were from California." From several photos and videos it is known that Helders can also play the guitar.
Unlike other members of the band, he has chosen to continue living in his hometown of Sheffield. The more he got around, the more he would like Sheffield. He also states that Sheffield continues to be the inspiration for many of her lyrics. Furthermore, Helders says that when he is on his own it hardly ever happens to be recognized. That would only happen to him if he went out with the other band members. He also said he and Jamie Cook, guitarist for the band, would never move to London.
Outside the Arctic Monkeys
Outside of the Arctic Monkeys, Helders remixes songs such as B. the fourth single of the band The Hives "We Rule the World (THEHIVES)" and plays z. E.g. on drums on the band's new album The Prodigy . He also works occasionally with the US band We Are Scientists and has made it onto a B-side of their single "Chick Lit". Privately, he is a fan of the garage rock band Royal Blood , founded in 2013 , of which he wore a t-shirt at Glastonbury Festival before the band had released the first song.
In August 2008, Helders released a compilation CD of the “Late Night Tale Remix Series” called “Late Night Tales: Matt Helders”, which also includes a spoken contribution by his bandmate Alex Turner .
Helders played the drums on Iggy Pop's Post Pop Depression album in 2016 .
Since 2011 he has been in a relationship with the American model Breana McDow. The couple married in June 2016 and have one daughter.
- 2008: "Late Night Tales: Matt Helders"
- 2008: "Dreamer"
- 2008: The Hives - "We Rule The World (THEHIVES)"
- 2008: We Are Scientists - "Chick Lit"
- 2008: Roots Manuva - "Again & Again"
- 2008: Duran Duran - "Skin Divers"
- 2009: Yo Majesty - "Club Action"
In May 2007 Helders released his own collection for the fashion label “Supreme Being”, which includes a jacket, a hoody and three t-shirts. As an addition, the clothes received a CD with remixes of various Arctic Monkeys songs by Matt Helders. A pound should go to the "Arthur Rank Hospice".
- Premier Percussion Gen-X Series: Arctic White 24 ″ × 18 ″ Bass Drum 16 ″ × 16 ″ Floor Tom 13 ″ × 8 ″ Rack Tom Ludwig Vistalight 14 ″ × 4.5 ″ Snare
- Pearl Drums 2000 Series: X2 Snare Stand
- Drum Workshop 9000 Hardware: Kick drum pedal- 9500 Hi Hat stand X2 9710 Straight Cymbal Stand
- Evans Drumheads: Snare Evans EC Coated, EC2 Clear Toms, EMAD2 Kick Drum
- Zildjian: 14 "Avedis Mastersounds Hi-Hats 18" A Custom Fast Crash 20 "A Series Crash Ride
- ↑ Brits go bananas , Hour, approx. March 16, 2006. Archived from the original on August 29, 2009. Retrieved June 9, 2006.
- ^ A b Bring on the backlash , The Village Voice . June 8, 2006.
- ↑ Mike Usinger: Arctic Monkeys' Nightmare lives up to the hype , straight.com. May 3, 2007. Retrieved May 4, 2007.
- ^ Arctic Monkeys conquer UK; Is America next? , Reuters . May 17, 2007. Archived from the original on December 7, 2008. Retrieved May 18, 2007.
- ↑ Matt Helders From The Arctic Monkeys To Compile The Next LateNightTales . latenight-tales.co.uk. Archived from the original on November 1, 2010. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- ↑ The man comes around: Iggy Pop on top! . laut.de. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- ^ Anna Price Olson: A Romantic Wedding in Rome. In: brides.com. July 18, 2016, accessed May 3, 2018 .
- ^ Arctic Monkeys member premieres clothes collection , NME . March 6, 2007. Retrieved May 4, 2007.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Helders, Matthew|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British drummer and backing singer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 7, 1986|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Sheffield|