|Arctic Monkeys studio album|
August 21, 2009
November 2008-April 2009
|Label (s)||Domino Records|
39 min 20 s
Humbug (dt. Mischief ) is the third studio album of British indie rock band Arctic Monkeys . It was released in German-speaking countries on August 21, 2009 on the indie label Domino Records and reached number one in the British charts.
Creation and publication
Work on the album began in summer 2008 when the band gathered their first ideas during a tour. The recordings on the album began in late 2008 and were for the first time in the history of the band exclusively in the USA. The tracks My Propeller , Secret Door and Cornerstone were created under the production of James Ford , who was also responsible for the previous album Favorite Worst Nightmare . He chose Mission Sound in Brooklyn, New York, as the recording location . All remaining songs were produced by Joshua Homme , who became famous as the lead singer of Queens of the Stone Age . He accepted the band after hearing a recording of Dance Little Liar . He later said in an interview with Rolling Stone that he immediately liked the voice of frontman Turner and the drumming of Helders. Homme selected the Rancho de la Luna (English Ranch of the Moon ) for the recordings, a studio in the California desert with analog recording devices. The recordings were completed in spring 2009.
The album was released in Japan on August 19, 2009, two days later it was released in German-speaking countries, the Benelux countries , Australia and Ireland. On August 24, 2009, Humbug was released in Great Britain, New Zealand, and Latin America, and a day later the CD was also available in the United States and Canada.
|6th||Fire And The Thud||3:57|
|8th.||Dance Little Liar||4:43|
|10.||The Jeweller's Hands||5:44|
In the band's home country, Great Britain , the album reached number one on the album charts and stayed there for two weeks. Further placements in first place were achieved in Ireland and the Flemish part of Belgium . Second place for the album was in Australia , the Netherlands and France . In New Zealand the album reached the third place, fourth place reached it in the Walloon region of Belgium, Denmark , Germany, and Canada . In the Spanish charts, Humbug was at number five, in Austria , Switzerland , Norway and Portugal at number seven. Further placements in the charts were achieved in Finland at number eleven, in Sweden at number twelve, in the United States at number 15 and Italy at number 18.
The single Crying Lightning was placed in Wallonia (9th place), Great Britain (12th place), Flanders (13th place), France (23rd place), and Austria (70th place).
Cornerstone , the second single, reached number 18 in Flanders, number 42 in France and number 94 in the UK.
The third single, My Propeller , debuted at number seven in Flanders, number 56 in France and number 90 in the UK.
The German online magazine Laut.de awards four out of five possible stars. Critic Jakob Rondthaler is of the opinion that the songs on Humbug are more sophisticated and thought out compared to the previous albums, without losing any of their quality. The record seems calmer and the new style suits the band. He also notes that the implementation of the individual pieces has moved more to the fore.
Rob Sheffield of the music magazine Rolling Stone also gave the album four out of five stars. He writes about the album that the new style seems more mature, but you can still notice the origins of the band. He especially highlights the texts by Alex Turner, which have become more serious.
The German e-zine Plattentests.de awards seven out of ten points. Critic Thomas Pilgrim also praises the new style direction and the further development of the band, but criticizes that the band sometimes overstrains this.
Arne Janßen from cdstarts.de also awards seven out of ten possible points. He says that you have to get used to the new sound first, but that you can listen to the further development afterwards. He also praises the fact that the focus has shifted to the entire work.
Awards for music sales
|Country / Region||Award||Sales|
|Awards for music sales
(country / region, Award, Sales)
|United Kingdom (BPI)||platinum||300,000|
|All in all||
1 × platinum
- Arctic Monkeys top UK albums chart for 3rd time. From: reuters.com (English), August 31, 2009. Retrieved April 1, 2012
- Arctic Monkeys going 'full on Black Sabbath' for new album. From: nme.com, May 21, 2009. Retrieved April 2, 2012
- : Arctic Monkeys use Ennio Morricone. On: welt.de, August 25, 2009. Retrieved May 2, 2012
- Information about the album. On: discogs.com (English). Retrieved April 2, 2012
- Daniela Reichert: "Humbug": Josh Homme praises the Arctic Monkeys. On: rollingstone.de, July 29, 2009. Retrieved April 2, 2012
- Dirk Peitz: Once in the desert and back. On: welt.de, September 3, 2009. Retrieved April 2, 2012
- Release the album. ( Memento of the original from June 7, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. From: arcticmonkeys.com, June 3, 2009. Retrieved April 2, 2012
- Arctic Monkeys in the German album charts ( Memento of the original from December 10, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Arctic Monkeys in the Austrian charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the Swiss charts
- Humbug in the Official UK Charts (English)
- Arctic Monkeys in the Official UK Charts (English)
- Arctic Monkeys in the US album charts
- Daniel Kilkelly: Arctic Monkeys top Irish album chart. On: digitalspy.co.uk, August 28, 2009. Retrieved April 1, 2012
- Arctic Monkeys in the Flemish charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the Australian charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the Dutch charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the French charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the New Zealand charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the Walloon charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the Danish charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the Canadian album charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the Spanish charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the Norwegian charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the Portuguese charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the Finnish charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the Swedish charts
- Arctic Monkeys in the Italian charts
- Humbug on metacritic.com (English). Retrieved April 1, 2012
- Jakob Rondthaler: No longer the song itself, the focus is on the implementation. On: laut.de. Retrieved April 1, 2012
- Rob Sheffield: Review on rollingstone.com (English), August 24, 2009. Retrieved April 1, 2012
- Thomas Pilgrim: The desert ride. On: plattentests.de. Retrieved April 1, 2012
- Arne Janßen: Criticism on cdstarts.de. Retrieved April 1, 2012
- Award in the United Kingdom