Ralph-Johannes Lilie was born in 1975 at the University of Munich in Byzantine Studies with a dissertation on the topic The Byzantine reaction to the expansion of the Arabs. Studies on the structural change of the Byzantine state in the 7th and 8th centuries received his doctorate and habilitation in 1982/83 at the Byzantine-Modern Greek Seminar of the Free University of Berlin , where he was an adjunct professor from 1984 to 2005. Since 1992 he has been head of the Prosopography of the Middle Byzantine Period (PmbZ) project of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences . He is married to the medievalist Marie-Luise Favreau-Lilie .
- The Byzantine Response to the Spread of the Arabs. Studies on the structural change of the Byzantine state in the 7th and 8th centuries . Institute for Byzantine Studies and Modern Greek Philology at the University of Munich in 1976.
- Byzantium. Emperor and Empire . Böhlau, Cologne-Weimar-Vienna 1994, ISBN 3-412-00394-8 .
- Byzantium. The second Rome . Siedler, Berlin 2003, ISBN 3-88680-693-6 .
- Byzantium and the Crusades . Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 2004, ISBN 3-17-017033-3 .
- Byzantium: History of the Eastern Roman Empire 326–1453 . 5th revised edition, Beck Munich 2010 ( Beck'sche Wissenschaft series ), ISBN 978-3-406-41885-3 .
- Introduction to Byzantine History . Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 2007, ISBN 978-3-17-018840-2 .
There are also further monographs, articles and essays from the field of Byzantine history as well as various collaborators and editorships in the context of the prosopography of the Middle Byzantine period .
- Literature by and about Ralph-Johannes Lilie in the catalog of the German National Library
- Lily, Ralph-Johannes . Publications in the bibliographic database of the Regesta Imperii .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Byzantinist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 30, 1947|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hamburg|