Rolf-Dieter Heuer (born May 24, 1948 in Boll ) is a German physicist . From January 2009 to December 2015 he was Director General of the European Organization for Nuclear Research ( CERN ) and from April 5, 2016 to April 9, 2018 President of the German Physical Society (DPG) .
Rolf-Dieter Heuer studied physics and obtained his diploma from the University of Stuttgart . In 1977 he was at the University of Heidelberg under Joachim Heintze with a thesis on the neutral decay modes of the (3686) resonance ψ doctorate .
After that he worked first in the JADE collaboration on the electron-positron storage ring PETRA of the German Electron Synchrotron (DESY), then from 1984 on the OPAL experiment at CERN. From 1994 he was spokesman for the OPAL collaboration there. In 1998 he returned to DESY and the University of Hamburg, where he became a professor. From 2004 up to and including 2008 he was research director for high energy physics at DESY. There he was responsible for research at the HERA accelerator, the collaboration between DESY and the LHC particle accelerator at CERN in Geneva , Switzerland , and for research on future electron-positron colliders.
From April 5, 2016 to April 9, 2018, Heuer was President of the German Physical Society (DPG). He replaced Edward G. Krubasik . With the election of Dieter Meschede as his successor, Heuer took over the vice-presidency of the DPG, which lasted until March 31, 2020.
In 2009 he was elected a corresponding member of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences . Heuer has been a member of the Leopoldina and Academia Europaea since 2011 and of the Academy of Sciences in Hamburg since 2014 . He is an external member of the Polish Academy of Learning (PAU) in Cracow . He has also been a member of the High Level Group of Scientific Advisors (SAM) of the European Commission since November 2015 . In 2016, the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic awarded him its highest award, De scientia at humanitate optime meritis .
- 2012: Edison Volta Prize
- 2015: Great Cross of Merit of the FRG
- 2015: Golden Commander's Cross of Honor for Services to the State of Lower Austria
- 2016: Urania Medal
- 2016: Knight of the Legion of Honor
- Alexander Stirn: The casual master of the particles. In: PM Magazin , 02/2014, pp. 40–43.
- Video interview with Rolf-Dieter Heuer about research at the LHC
- Biography on the CERN website
- Literature by and about Rolf-Dieter Heuer in the catalog of the German National Library
- "Professor Dr. Rolf-Dieter Heuer Appointed as New Research Director ", DESY Press Release, Hamburg, October 4, 2004
- "Rolf-Dieter Heuer to be New CERN Director General",
- Universität Hamburg: Proposal for Collaborative Research Center "Particles, Strings and the Early Universe: Structure of Matter and Space-Time", 2006 
- Press release of the German Physical Society of March 30, 2016
- Press release of the German Physical Society of April 4, 2018
- Members of the HAdW since it was founded in 1909. Rolf-Dieter Heuer. Heidelberg Academy of Sciences, accessed July 3, 2016 .
- Members of the PAU. Section III: Science and Technology. Polska Akademia Umiejętnośc, accessed June 12, 2017 (Polish).
- Website of the High Level Group of the EU Research and Innovation Directorate
- Academy věd ČR: Významní světoví vědci převzali medaile Academy věd ČR. (No longer available online.) In: avcr.cz. Archived from the original on May 19, 2016 ; Retrieved May 19, 2016 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|SURNAME||This year, Rolf-Dieter|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 24, 1948|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Boll|