Rolf-Peter Horstmann (born December 5, 1940 in Wernigerode ) is a German emeritus for philosophy . His main interests are systematically in ontology and epistemology , historically the philosophy of Kant and German idealism , especially Hegel .
From 1960 Horstmann studied philosophy, history and Greek studies at the Eberhard Karls University in Tübingen , the University of Vienna , the Free University of Berlin and the Ruprecht Karls University of Heidelberg . In 1968 he was promoted to Dr. phil. PhD. After five years at the Hegel Archive at the Ruhr University Bochum , he was at Bielefeld University from 1973 to 1979 . From 1974 he also held a two-year teaching position at the Georg-August University in Göttingen . In 1979 he completed his habilitation in philosophy in Bielefeld. As a senior assistant he held a teaching position at the Philipps University in Marburg in 1979/80 and a substitute professor in Göttingen in 1980/81.
From 1981 a scholarship from the German Research Foundation , he was a Research Fellow at the University of California, Berkeley in 1981/82 . In 1983 Bielefeld University appointed him an extraordinary professor of philosophy. In 1986 he switched to a professorship at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich .
After a substitute chair at the University of Potsdam (1994/95), he followed the call of the Humboldt University in Berlin in 1995 to its chair for the history of philosophy , German idealism . 1996–1998 and 2002–2004 he was Managing Director of the Institute for Philosophy. 1997/98 he was dean and 1998–2000 vice dean of the Faculty of Philosophy I. In 2007 he retired .
- Berkeley (1984, 2008)
- University of Pennsylvania (from 1993)
- Dartmouth College (2000)
- Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (2002, 2011)
- Princeton University (2002/03)
- Johns Hopkins University (2010)
- New York University (2011)
- Fudan University (2012)
- Brown University (2013)
- List of publications
- When the world spirit got its name: 200 years of "Phenomenology of Spirit" (Interview with Horstmann zu Hegel, Die Welt 2007)
- Research interests
- Dissertation: Hegel's pre-phenomenological drafts for a philosophy of subjectivity in relation to the critique of the principles of the philosophy of reflection .
- Habilitation thesis: Ontology and Relations. Hegel, Bradley, Russell on internal and external relationships .
- LMU ( Memento from March 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive )
- Brown University
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German philosopher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||5th December 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wernigerode|