Virdung was a student of Johannes von Soest . He was enrolled in Heidelberg in 1483 and worked in the court choir there from 1483 to 1505. In 1489 he became pastor in Lengenfeld (today part of Velburg ). From 1500 to 1507 he was the chaplain of Stahleck Castle near Bacharach . After a short term in the service of the Württemberg people, he was alto and praeceptor at the cathedral in Constance from 1507 to 1509 . In 1508 he left Constance . In 1510 he stayed in Augsburg during the Reichstag . In 1511 his music theory book Musica gotutscht und pulled out appeared in Basel. After that, Virdung's trail is lost.
- 4 songs in Schöffer's songbook (1513)
- Altus zu Hofhaymer's dearest picture (by Forster 1539)
- Musica sucked and pulled out (1511)
- Virdungus, (Sebastian). In: Johann Heinrich Zedler : Large complete universal lexicon of all sciences and arts . Volume 48, Leipzig 1746, column 1699.
- Robert Eitner : Virdung, Sebastian . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 40, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1896, p. 11.
- Literature by and about Sebastian Virdung in the catalog of the German National Library
- The Legacy of Sebastian Virdung at Boston College University Libraries (English)
- Sheet music and audio files by Sebastian Virdung in the International Music Score Library Project
- Beth Bullard: Virdung, Sebastian. In: Grove Music Online (English; subscription required).
- Virdung, Sebastian . Entry in the database of the Oberpfälzer Kulturbund (currently not available)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German singer, composer and music theorist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||around 1465|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Amberg , Upper Palatinate|
|DATE OF DEATH||after 1511|