After graduating from high school in 1999 at the Christian-Dietrich-Grabbe-Gymnasium Detmold, Westerwelle completed internships in advertising agencies and took courses at the Bielefeld City Music and Art School in the fields of video, film, photography and visual arts. From 2001 to 2006 he completed a degree in film / television at the Art Academy for Media in Cologne , his professors were Jeanine Meerapfel and Matthias Müller . As part of this course, short films were made ( Because now the night is coming , Fern von Dem , Upward open , Denk dir uns Zwei ) and the animated film Simplicity and Complexity is one for the final show of the local Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design during London Fashion week .
His first feature film As long as you are here in 2006 in competition Filmmakers Présent of the International Film Festival of Locarno invited and noted there by the jury. The film continued to run at other festivals around the world and won other awards, including a. the Diversity Award and the Grand Prize of the City of Terrassa at the Barcelona Film Festival 2006, the Ottavio Mai Award at the Torino Film Festival 2007 and the Queer Lisboa Award at the Lisbon Film Festival 2007 as well as the special gold award of the German Short Film Award 2006 for films over 30 minutes. In 2008 Westerwelle was awarded the sponsorship award of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia . In 2012 he made the documentary Detlef , in which he, together with Jan Rothstein, portrayed the life of gay rights activist Detlef Stoffel . The documentary was an official contribution to the Panorama of the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival in 2012 . In the same section he presented his feature film Lose Your Head a year later .
- 2006: As long as you are here (director, screenplay)
- 2012: Detlef (documentary: director)
- 2013: Lose Your Head (Director)
- 2018: Matti and Sami and the Three Biggest Mistakes in the Universe (Director, Screenplay)
- 2020: Into The Beat - Your Heart Dances (Director, Screenplay)
- Stefan Westerwelle in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Stefan Westerwelle at filmportal.de
- Stefan Westerwelle on the website of As long as you are here ( Memento from January 26, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- Trailer for Detlef
- Information about Detlev on the Berlinale website (PDF; 128 kB)
- Information about Lose Your Head on the Berlinale website
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German film director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 5, 1980|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Detmold|